main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Bad Case of the DWBs...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Brant_Flir, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Welcome to the Bad Case of the DWBs. Here is where we can discuss the DWBs, Darth Writer's Block, and give tips about how to defeat the DWBs.

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I put on some of my favorite songs and listen for about an hour while lying on my bed with my hands tucked under my head.

My mind wanders and eventually I find the answers I was seeking...

3. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    I guess I'll create the topic: What is the best way to get rid of DRB?

4. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    Never thought to do that... Cool.

-I have a bad case of the DRBs-

5. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Oooh, good thread. I find that the best way to beat DWB is to keep on writing. Even if you think your post comes out really bad, at least you've written. Or, I hand over the troublesome piece to my beta and see if she can do anything with it, and continue on from there.

6. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    DRB, okay, you mean DWB, Writer starts with a W not an R. :rolleyes:

And I just watch tv, or read, or listen to music which tends to give me ideas, or I just stop and relax, or write something else.

7. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    Yeah, i know. I just realized that. Thanks for reminding me.

Listen to music? I'll try thta one!

-I have a bad case of the DWBs-

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Listening to music is good--it keeps me on track. And if that doesn't work, I just get offline for a while and come back later.

9. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    Cool. Except for the get offlien part. All my friends live a while away, i don't have a bike at the moment (unless you count my dirtbike), and no good video games. So gettign off line would mean i would be forced to read the books that i need to for Honors English nad write the essays, but i still have 3 weeks...

I'll listen to music. Hmmm. whcih one...Kingdom Hearts soundtrack or the Snow Patrol?

10. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I used to keep a note book by my bed adn I wrote every night whether I felt like ti or not... most of it ended up being crap but I taught me a lot about combat techniques against DWB

11. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    lol. Combat techniques! So its like a book of military stradegy... cool!

I'll listen to...the Snow Patrol!

-I have a bad case of the DWBs!-

12. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I'm waiting for someone with the initials "DWB" to come in and wonder why you people hate him or her so much.

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I simply start writing vignettes. Try the 10-minute challenge.

14. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    That would be awsome!

Yeah, Ish, i've been thinkign about doign a ::Hubs:: II!

15. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Open your plot bunny cage, pull out a bunny, and think. How can I mutate this bunny to fit my current story?

That's what I always do.

16. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    What if you don't have any plot bunnies in your cage?

17. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    That really is bad.

Check the plot bunny thread or watch a random movie. That usually gets them multiplying.

18. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Oh gosh... What do I do? I write down the idea and let it simmer. :D I go off and read or study. Just by doing something else, sometimes the idea comes into my head with everything already planned out!

Or if that does work, I put in a CD/movie that I think best fits the idea and take it from there. :D

19. Brant_Flir

May 30, 2005
    Cool. i'll remember those. I am workign on gettign soem stuff ready (research) for a future fic, and i ma getting ideas by the second. yeah! I' also listenign to music!

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Hmm... what I do I do? I take a break from writing and go running, listen to music, watch a movie, play piano or clarinet (that really works) or I make bracelets (I doubt that you'd want to do that, though, Brant -- but it really works for me). Then after taking a sufficient amount of time off from writing, I force myself to start writing again -- and I write anything.

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Then your master gets very jealous ;)

22. Twich

Twich Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    Here are some good hints.

Try writing/looking at the scene from a different character's perspective. Maybe even changing to first person. That sometimes helps.

Also, try writing the same scene/chapter as a poem. Rhyming or not...just getting it out in a different style sometimes helps jar things loose.
    [face_mischief]

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Some good ideas here.

I'll have to try them out sometime.

24. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Whenever I feel like I have writers block, I either walk away from my computer and do something completely unrelated, such as watching Pirates of Penzance or somesuch, or I open up Knights of the Old Republic and work on saving the galaxy for a while. :p

25. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    When I get writer's block (and I usually do, right before I finish a story) I make a point to shove all thoughts of the story from my mind. My best writing comes when I don't force it; it just kind of comes from my fingertips with very little effort. So when I start trying to push a story out of me, I have to take a step back, relax, and go do something else for a while. I sit, listen to music, stare, and if it really isn't working, I discuss it with friends. If we're on an instant messaging program we'll role play as characters, trying to be zany, and usually it helps. Having another person to bounce ideas off is extremely helpful, and it usually jump starts my fading inspiration.

Stormqueen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.