main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Battle of Words {A War of Kings OOC Thread}

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by spycoder9, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Know what you mean. I guess me and grey could just chatter on, while our characters hit the desert... but I will only do it, if it takes much longer. But we must be patient, and count our toes a little while longer, until Spy tells us something...

;)

*tea party anyone?* :p

greyjedi125 likes this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In the interval, I too have to commend those to for keeping up as much as they have. They've thoroughly convinced me I'd be willing to read a Safia/Lawrence spin-off domestic RP.

3. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Nice of you to be concerned. :)

It's a tricky situation. It would be good for others if they could somehow maneuver into proximity with everyone else, but that's hard to do without kind of abandoning the path that spycoder set us on. :(

--EDIT--
    Just saw this. I am truly flattered! However, I imagine this:
    Lawrence: Honey, have you done the dishes yet?
    Safia: Do I look like a scullery maid? You'd know what one looks like.
    Lawrence: I did not bed a scullery maid.
    Safia: Of course. And I didn't sign up to sweat 364 days a year at night, but apparently I got that.
    Though somehow I think it would actually work out to be something like Safia and Lawrence riding into insane battles with each other, defending the Desert against all comers. Which apparently might include King Fenton. Awesome.

4. JediMasterAnne

JediMasterAnne Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    [face_rofl]

After an extremely crappy day, I needed a laugh, Trieste. Thank you for that.
    Indeed, Lawrence failed to mention in his confession to Safia who he did bed, I notice. o_O

5. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Unfortunately I must wait. Not much I can do whilst waiting on the King.

Although I am glad the activity is keeping this afloat as we await spycoder9

6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Hmmm? What? Well look at that. So I did. Lies of omission are classified as white lies, right? :D

7. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    So I take it Lawrence is a white knight then :p

Trieste likes this.
  8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Ktala That is a fantastic tale! I absolutely loved it. I read it and thought, "That is a 100% plausible world myth as to why certain constellations are in the sky in the position that they are." Bravo! Really! I'm very impressed!

Interestingly enough, once I get a spare moment I was going to see about Lawrence and Safia sitting down to dinner...you know...since we're not going anywhere. ;)

And no, that was not a joke in very poor taste to the state of Safia's leg. :p

9. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Wow!Ktala,that was a really amazing story! Most impressive indeed! I shall respond a.s.a.p.! W00T! :-B

10. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    [face_blush]Thanks guys!!! I really had fun writing it. Glad you enjoyed it. :D
    [face_blush]

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Spy hasn't posted in a month - has anyone had contact with him?

12. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    Not that I'm aware. I sent him a PM on April 26th and he still hasn't logged in to read it. Personally I'm hoping that he's just busy with RL/end-of-school stuff, and that normal operation will resume by the end of this month. If Stryker was around we might be able to ask him what's going on, but he hasn't been here either.

[face_dunno]

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    His last post was the fifth of April - he hasn't logged on in a month, either. I see that a lot of folks here want this game to continue; what's stopping one of you from taking over in the interim?

14. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    There was some brief discussion of that on the previous page. No one is quite certain of what spy's exact vision for the game is, and some of us don't want to potentially de-rail that in a temporary GM take-over. Trieste and I have been going back and forth for a while in-game, just kind of going where we will, and now Ktala and greyjedi are back in the picture, so there is some activity keeping things afloat.

But I do understand that it can be frustrating for those players who are unable to post because they are waiting for spy, and though I did say that I don't like the idea of tampering with spy's plans for this awesome game, if he doesn't come back once summer break gets here, then I would be willing to re-visit that discussion. I've noticed that Solo un-liked spy's roll call post, so I'm thinking she's out, which I'm also thinking may be due to her own RL time constraints, but I'm afraid if we keep waiting and waiting past a certain point, then we might start losing other players. I know that it's hard for me to keep motivated to stay with a game when my character can't do anything, I'm sure it's that way for others as well.

Ktala likes this.
  15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I too have had no contact with spy. I was unaware that it had been so long since his last log in though. That is definitely an important piece of information.

I have never been involved in a game where there has been interest in continuing after a GM has disappeared without closing the game down. As a result, I don't know if there are any general rules for such a situation (Penguinator if you know of any with your mod-like omniscience, that would be great). If we do have that conversation, I would not put my hat in the right. ELL keeps me more than busy on the GM side of life, so I'm simply not available for WoK.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The exact procedure is a bit flexible, but we've decided we for sure needed this conversation due to the extenuating circumstances - since spycoder hasn't even logged in in a month, there's really no way to get ahold of him, nor is there any way to verify his exact intent. Consequently this game's perpetuating in a queer sort of limbo that needs to be addressed - technically, IC posts are supposed to be held accountable by the GM of the game in question.

The way Peng and I see it, there's basically two routes - somebody can take over as GM, so that those players who need a GM can resume posting, and spycoder is free to rule on the canonicity of those in abstentia posts the way he deems fit, or the game can be locked until such a time as spycoder returns and/or someone is willing and able to take over. Both options have their obvious advantages and disadvantages, but the bottom line here is we're at (Actually past, by my own metrics) the point where we have to assume the GM is gone for good, and while basic inclinations and practice would usually lead us to simply lock the thread, there's obviously sufficient interest in continuing that we'd prefer to leave the choice up to y'all.

Penguinator likes this.
  17. witchdoctor07

witchdoctor07 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    All i have to say is that i am still game for this story if anyone were to take over as the new GM, i would love to but my job in the military keeps me pretty busy all day. as was mentioned previously i am one of those players who is in a slight limbo right now due to not having any interaction with the other players as of right now, but like i said i am willing to make this happen :)

18. JediMasterAnne

Apr 24, 2004
    I have never GM'd before myself, so I would prefer to hand over the reins to someone with more experience at running games.

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    There's always the WOTG option for you all, is there not? That is, shift the model of the game form one with a tightly plotted vision of a single mind to a free-for-all. Most of the participants in the thread that I've seen are pretty experienced players, and you've all been working together for some time. Given that you have a sense of fair play, what if there was no referee for anything but the most egregious circumstances? Otherwise, inside the realm of plausibility, each Kingdom does what it sees fit. All reactions would be truly spontaneous. There's a sort of elegance to it, as it would mirror the way actual wars breakdown the pre-existing social structures and spins off in directions no one entirely anticipated.

20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks Ramza. Certainly an option, Jabba-wocky. I see some things that would need to be addressed in such a model:
    1. I'll have to just come right out and say it despite the fact I'd prefer not to: there were certain plot points that I know that spy wanted to do with me that are shrouded in the darkest of secret (I am not aware of him sharing them with anyone). I have operated under the assumption that everyone had those and that this was a driving force as to why people were interested in playing this game (I know it was for me). Moving to a sandbox model might make it hard to achieve these in concert with each other (though not impossible).
    2. A complete sandbox model would be pretty tough to pull off because we have winter zombies (that's what I'm going to call them for lack of a better term) and the forces of King Fenton that need to be controlled. They are a major character motivation tool. If those things would be eliminated, that would be a pretty radical change to the game. Not necessarily a bad one...but a big one.
    3. As a philosophical point, I've found that sandbox games tend to sputter out if players are not prodded along by a GM. Maybe we'll avoid that fate, but it's an option.
    4. Since, as I said, ELL keeps me pretty busy, I was looking forward to being a player and not GMing (besides, my standard GM experience is very lacking--ELL is a very...unique game to GM so I can't guarantee you'd have a visionary like some of the great GMs who have passed through these boards), and GMing makes that hard.
    5. ...
    6. Oh for heaven's sake. I may have just figured out how I can GM this and still have fun. Darn my overactive brain. I'm not committing to it and if there's anyone who had even the slightest interest in doing it I'd defer to them, but if there was overwhelming interest, it might be possible. Can't promise it'll be pretty, but it could work. I would definitely need to know how many people we're talking about here. Of the roll call respondents, I see Splinterthemindseye_, greyjedi125, Lukes_Apprentice, Amitarvind, Mitth_Fisto, Ktala, witchdoctor07, Jedi_padawan_leigh, JediMasterAnne. I also assume Jabba-wocky you're in (you weren't a roll call post person), or were you just opining as to options for us? As you can see, I've had trouble keeping track of everyone in the game. Now would be a good time for all of you to confirm your interest in proceeding forward.
    7. If I were to assume GM duties (not a commitment right now), if any of you had preexisting plot plans I'd need to know about them as GM. I'd assume that goes without saying, but I figure might as well throw that out there now all the same.
    Further discussion about the proper path forward is definitely useful (so please don't let me stifle that), but I think we should begin very seriously thinking about the fate of the game so we can get this game out of limbo so the mods have a nice clean RPF with active games. :)

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Oh, for clarity, I probably shouldn't affect anyone's plans or anythings. I've never been a player or anything. I strictly read from time to time, as you guys weave some fairly entertaining stories as a group.

22. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Fleet is quite a minor character, who affects nothing in the game. Whatever plans there were, these are in the mind of spy. Nevertheless, I confirm my continued interest in the game. It was my lurking and continued reading of AWoK that eventually and quite inevitably had me join the game. I'd like to see how things unfold for everyone, or rather, how far we are able to go as a whole. So, count me in.:-B ( See Ktala, I didn't blame you for anything!) :p [face_laugh]O:)[face_peace]

23. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I'm still 100% on board

I must say though I hope everything is ok with spycoder9

greyjedi125 likes this.
  24. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Most definitely still interested!!

LOL! (Thanks, greyjedi125!) :p
    Yeah, right now Lorain is not effecting much either, until we get...*IF WE GET* to the city. ;)

So right now, Either one GM, or a gm who overseas the different Kings... would be fine with me.
    Just dont wanna see it die!!

greyjedi125 likes this.
  25. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    spycoder9 please be OK![face_praying] ( I'm off to work, see ya'll in 10+hrs. :( )