main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Battle of Words {A War of Kings OOC Thread}

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by spycoder9, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    I just enjoy pulling your leg. :p

And yay for a summary!

spycoder9 likes this.
  2. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Huzah! Something for a merchant on knifes edge to read while contemplating whether to be or not to be at low low prices :p

3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Stryker01, spycoder9 and greyjedi125 like this.
  4. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Should Fleet be worried? [face_nail_biting]:p

5. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    I didnt know foxes howled!

And that sounds pretty dang scary!!

6. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    That was a very cool introspective post, Trieste. The "He shouldn't" scene would play well cinematically. Kudos!

7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Spycoder once made reference to the fact that Lawrence has held up remarkably well mentally considering he is about to get married, recently shed blood, and also broke his vow of chastity (which, I'll speak about in a second). When JediMasterAnne wrote her post, all of a sudden I knew that this was a moment that had was going to really hit Lawrence. And how could I resist the drama?

Now, earlier we were speaking about how historic knights were allowed to have kids and get married, so Lawrence's vow seems odd. I am suddenly reminded by some theological reading (for those of you who were interested, it was Fr. James Martin's The Jesuit Guide to Everything, a Catholic text that piqued my interest) that discussed the difference between chastity and celibacy. Celibacy is not having sex. But chastity is about, if I recall correctly, devoting yourself to your calling in life. In the case of a person who takes a religious vow, this takes the form of celibacy. But a person who takes a vow of marriage is chaste within the context of that vow. They can have sex with their spouse, but not with other people. Very simply put for a complex theological issue so I miss some nuance.

Anyways, this opens onto Lawrence's case. His vow of chastity has been to being a knight prior to this. We will assume that as practiced in the Desert they have a very strict interpretation of your duties and responsibilites as a knight. However, there is freedom to marry if you want. So Lawrence's vow of chastity becomes reinterpreted at the moment of his marriage as now including Safia. Because of the Desert orthodoxy, people have the impression (including Lawrence) that he is "breaking" his original vow in marrying due to the common practices of his peers--after all, not everyone has a Maester level education in this game, including nobles! But in reality, Lawrence is just fine in the context of those vows.

Minus the fact he did break it with Illiza. No amount of philosophical finagling is going to save him from that one. :p

spycoder9 and Rilwen_Shadowflame like this.
  8. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Well this getting interesting to watch everyone's characters. :) Boy am I playing the prudent and apprehensive leader to the hilt. Trieste your analysis is pretty clear and is quite interesting. So I will add some my own thoughts to my character's situation he is fighting to impulses that are at his core that he may not know what about to happen and completely uncertain who he can trust and what information is valid. He is not receiving help from allies or other houses. In back of his mind he must be really thinking that something truly horrible is about to happen. Will he arrive in time? Is he being deceived and set up by his guest? Can he trust his son to run the castle? What will happen if he does not win? oh yes and one more thing will his marriage survive?

It will be interesting to see what happens next

9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Yeah, that's a lot going on, Luke. And that's one of the things I've noticed about GoT. "Oh, I'll leave this dude in charge--they're totally trustworthy." And then they're not. :p

Oh, and revelation time: turns out one of the guest stars on Thursday's episode of Suits was none other than Abigail Spencer, who provides the likeness of one Callista Halleth in WoK, one of the characters so ably played by Stryker01. No wonder she seemed so familiar!

Stryker01 likes this.
  10. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    greyjedi125 and Stryker01 like this.
  11. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
  12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Who was he again?

13. Splinterthemindseye_

Splinterthemindseye_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 24, 2012
    I am the ever stoic and mysterious Sanjûrô Kenji. :D

greyjedi125 likes this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Oh yeah! Where did you guys get into port again? I forget.

(I obviously forget more than I know about this game.)

15. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Feb 13, 2003
    They were last seen causing mischief in Delmaristead if memory serves :p

16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Oh good. So nowhere near me...yet.

17. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Heh, tell me about it I'm concentrating on the mountains and trying to keep up with all the other developments

18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    AHHHHHHHHHH! A WILD CARD!!!!!!! PANIC! PANIC!!!!!

I mean, welcome to the game Nick of Time

19. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Feb 13, 2003
  20. Nick of Time

Nick of Time Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2013
    Cheers, guys. It's great to be here!

21. Nick of Time

Jan 15, 2013
    Sorry for the double post, but did we ever find out who killed the old king?

22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    If we did, I missed it.

I accuse you.

(It's always a good idea to blame it on the new kid.)

23. Nick of Time

Jan 15, 2013
    I was going to say that my character would be a pretty easy person to blame. Major implications about his relationship with his father, though, since he served the old king and then died just after the king was killed.

24. Splinterthemindseye_

Splinterthemindseye_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 24, 2012
    Welcome Nick. Have fun and if you figure out what is going on in the overall game, let me know ;) . I'm just along for the ride. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
    thud.

25. witchdoctor07

witchdoctor07 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    Hey everyone! been a memeber of this forums for a while but being a busy bee at work had put me on a temporary hiatus from doing what i love which of course is writing. i'm going to join WoK soon, working on my CS as we speak, i got a basic outline of the story but if you guys could fill me in on any other details that would be great. thanks! :D