main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~* A Beautiful Mind :: Your Reactions, Thoughts and Such *~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by RidingMyCarousel, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Has anyone else seen A Beautiful Mind? Everytime I watch the movie or listen to the soundtrack, I break down emotionally. The score by James Horner just is so beautiful yet so dark and deep. It holds so true to the film. I can listen to "Creating 'Governing Dynamics'" and just feel so upbeat and in such a cheery mood. Yet, when "The Car Chase", "Alicia Discovers Nash' Dark World", I immediately chill and my skin becomes so cold. The film is so beautiful; it is quite possibly my favorite movie of all time. The scene where John is tied down and given treatments and having Alicia watch him.. God.. that just tears me up emotionally. Everytime I watch the film, I break into tears. It's such a beautiful and sad tale.. yet in the end, so triumphant.

Knowing that the best friends you have in your life just aren't real? God... Could you imagine waking up one day and having someone tell you people you care about aren't real and you're imagining them? How would you react? I just.. it's such an erie thought. So dark, so scary. And so lonely.

How about you?

Originally posted in the BYS. Posting this in the Amphitheatre for the community's thoughts/reactions.

2. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    While not my favorite film of all time, I really loved A Beautiful mine. It was an incredible story and a great movie.

Unfortunately I've only seen it once, so I just remember the overall feeling of the film, and not specific moments. I do need to get this on DVD sometime soon.

3. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I really like it too, but my reaction was tempered by the fact that I was already well-acquainted with Nash's life long before I saw the movie. I studied math in college, and heard stories about him. I knew about his mental problems, as well as the problems in his marriage. So watching it was, for me, a different experience than I think most had. There was never a sense of mystery or "what's going to happen next?" as I already basically knew what was going to happen.

Still, I applaud the fact that they managed to make a film about a mathematician with mental problems into a tense romantic thriller. That's quite an achievement. Still don't think it should have won Best Picture, though. That's just me.

4. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I don't get into the entire movie awards scene; I judge movies to myself and that's it. So I won't argue that point. ;)

After reading up on Nash's life, the movie has a deeper impact on me with each viewing. It's just something that has grown on me; the film hits close to him a bit, since my mother has a mental illness. Seeing the film helped open my mind to a lot more possibilities as to what my mom could be going through, although she has a totally different disease than what Nash has.

You're into music, right, Dehrian? What did you think of the soundtrack?

5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    One of my all time favorites.

Really a great movie.

6. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    It really takes something great to get me interested in a story about a mathematician. This is a great movie. Russel Crowe's best performance yet, and Jennifer Connelly is just wonderful. The cinemetography worked really well (I loved the code-breaking sequinces). The music, as you said, works really well to stir up the emotions.

7. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    shouldnt have one best picture or best director, but it did deserve best actor, russel crow was incredible

8. Siri_Ruane

Siri_Ruane Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    I thought it was a great... however it takes a lot to make me cry over a film.

9. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    I have to agree with winter. Russel Crowe did absolutely deserve the Oscar for his performance. I was happy that Grazer and Howard gave Russel a tip o' the cap when accepting the Best Picture Award.

Jennifer Connelly delivered a truly inspired performance as well. I absolutely loved Alicia Nash's strength, determination, resolve to stand by her man, and intelligence. She's someone I could easily fall for.

The music? Incredible. The opening piece (I don't know the titles) builds and immediately grabs my attention and draws me into the picture. I was never a Charlotte Church fan, but her voice was made for these songs. Perfect fit.

Probably one of my top 5 movies.

10. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    You're into music, right, Dehrian? What did you think of the soundtrack?

Actually, I rather liked it. Which is unusual for me, as I pretty much think Horner is a hack. But his score for Beautiful Mind was inspired, as if he was channeling it through someone else.

11. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    Thank you RMCOY, for putting this in here.
    i loved the movie. i agree whenever i see the movie( don't have the soundtrack to listne to it) i also break down. amazing movie. Russel Crow did an awesome job as Jon Nash.

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    The film itself is brilliant and the music score, simply enchanting.

This movie had special meaning to me last year considering I went to the same high school as John Nash, and our whole city was making a big deal out of it.

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I thought it was a really good film, not overwhelming though. I cried quite a bit actually, but I cry quite often when I see dramas.

The only flaw that I could think of was that the Noble Ceremony in the end isn't correct at all, but I guess you have to watch the real thing every year to notice stuff like that.

14. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    A good movie but there were better movies that should have got the Best Picture Oscar like LOTR:FOTR.

15. MadamMidnight

MadamMidnight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2003
    Yes that man was even more insane than me. I never thought that possible. It was a beautiful movie however not one I'd watch a second time. Can't say anything about the soundtrack, not liking that music.

16. FuimusMaximus

FuimusMaximus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 21, 2003
    I thought it was great because it portrayed John Nash for what he was. Sure he was crazy and things happened in his mind that weren't really happening in RL, but it showed him for the pure genius he was.

17. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    if you like the soundtrack or even if you dont actually you should take a look at this thing i made

here

18. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    That's certainly interesting. Though, I think you could have used track number four off the soundtrack for a better feel. But that's just me.

;)

19. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    A Beautiful Mind was a very sad and scary movie, it really makes you think. I mean yeah, what if your best friend isn't real? What if the person you claim to work for isn't real? Nash's Disease is very scary, I'd never heard a lot about it before I saw the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.