main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A bit of EU help, please

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by entweichen, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entweichen

entweichen Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2003
    Ok, I feel like it's time to take the plunge into the murky depths of the EU. My only SW experience for the past 28 years has been the 5 films and a few video games.

I'm in the mood for some fun lit, so can someone please post a list of required reading (not comics)? I prefer novels that fall between TPM and ROTJ, not authored by hacks, and nothing geared towards children.

Thanks

ent

2. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    I don't know about books that fall within that timeframe, but the X-wing series by Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Alston is a must-read.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, there's not a whole lot between TPM and ROTJ. There's Rogue Planet, which is pretty boring but fits in nicely with the NJO series. Then you have Shatterpoint, which is the best SW book ever. Then there's both Han trilogies and the Lando trilogy, which take place shortly before ANH. You have Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which was to be the sequel to ANH if GL didn't decide to make ESB and ROTJ. There's Shadows the Empire, which is between ESB and ROTJ. There's a few other things too, but it's stuff like Tales from Jabba's palace and stuff like that.

4. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I'd be aiming for things that fit film continutiy like Splinter Of The Minds Eye and Shadows Of The Empire (which is still one of my favourite reads, might I add).

Aside from that, I highly recommend the noveliations of the films as well. They all add great insights to what you see on screen.

:)

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    You want to read the EU, but you don't want it authored by "hacks"? Perhaps you might want to elaborate on just what qualifies an author to be a hack so we in turn can help you better avoid those "hacks".

There is not a whole lot of stuff between TPM and ROTJ at the moment, even less with no comics and kids books, then even less when we subtract the "hacks".

There is Splinter of the Mind's Eye which occurs between ANH and ESB and Shadows of the Empire which occurs between ESB and ROTJ.

6. entweichen

Aug 11, 2003
    You want to read the EU, but you don't want it authored by "hacks"? Perhaps you might want to elaborate on just what qualifies an author to be a hack so we in turn can help you better avoid those "hacks".

Do me a favor and don't speak to me like I'm a child. I asked a simple question and did not expect to receive aggressive sarcasm as an answer.

Hack: A whore in the literature community. Someone who jumps on the bandwagon and writes a cookie-cutter novel in two weeks so he/she can make the rent. The antithesis of a good author writing quality material. Should I define 'good' and elaborate some more?

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Dude, you gotta realize when you come to a forum dedicated to the EU, people aren't gonna be happy with you asking for "books not written by hacks." This implies that you think some of the EU authors are hacks.

8. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Should I define 'good' and elaborate some more?

Sure go ahead! Enlighten me!

I did provide you with two novels that take place prior to ROTJ.

There are of course Tales from. . . (Mos Eisley Cantina, Bounty Hunters and Jabba's Palace).

9. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002

Do me a favor and don't speak to me like I'm a child. I asked a simple question and did not expect to receive aggressive sarcasm as an answer.

Hack: A whore in the literature community. Someone who jumps on the bandwagon and writes a cookie-cutter novel in two weeks so he/she can make the rent. The antithesis of a good author writing quality material. Should I define 'good' and elaborate some more?

Yo...why don't you lighten up.

This is not the Lit forum. This is not the Senate. This is not the Amphitheater.

This is the Expanded Universe Community.

We are a bunch of JCers that take this stuff very seriously.

You come and bash us...and you are not welcomed.

You came to us, asking for help, but you had hostility in your ignorant implication.

The EU books are not written in 2 weeks...they take a long time to write...research and continuity issues arise...and must be repaired as best they can.

And I hardly think that you really want to read any EU...if you are limiting to the novels between the movies.

The best of the EU is mostly outside the realm.

Don't come in here as a Purist. You must have the ability to be a Completist.

And if you sense hostility in my post...then take it as you will.

I will defend my fellow EU lovers to the death.

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    entweichen...
    Welcome to the forums.

"Ok, I feel like it's time to take the plunge into the murky depths of the EU. My only SW experience for the past 28 years has been the 5 films and a few video games."

A good primer to get you into the Expanded Universe of Star Wars stories. You'll find there's even a few novels out there specifically-suited to your Star Wars background. There is a "Dark Forces" series of novels based on the extremely successful LucasArts "Dark Forces" and "Jedi Knight" series of games. It's a trilogy:
    Dark Forces: Soldier of the Empire
    Dark Forces: Rebel Agent
    Dark Forces: Jedi Knight

From Amazon.com: "The story arc of the set's three Dark Forces stories (Soldier for the Empire, Rebel Agent, Jedi Knight) spans roughly the same time period as New Hope-Empire-Jedi, following Kyle Katarn, a young Imperial officer turned Rebel operative turned (nearly) Jedi Knight. Old favorites like Han, Lando, Luke, and even Chewie pass in and out of the story, a classic Star Wars tale of honor, love, loyalty, and revenge, which sets Kyle against the evil Imperial pretender Lord Jerec. Good fun, well done."

Next would be the Shadows of the Empire super-project. It's comprised of a novel, a video game and a comic series - each covering one aspect of the storyline. It is set between ANH and ESB.

Those are the most notable game-inspired "classic trilogy" novels.

"I'm in the mood for some fun lit, so can someone please post a list of required reading (not comics)? I prefer novels that fall between TPM and ROTJ, not authored by hacks, and nothing geared towards children."

The best novels I can recommend are Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures trilogy. You should be able to find the softcover, collected version of the trilogy at any bookstore chain. It is set prior to ANH.

Next up would be L. Neil Smith's Lando Calrissian Adventures trilogy. Similar to Han Solo Adventures, but instead with Lando.

Both series are great entertainment.

The next logical choice would be Splinter of the Mind's Eye, by original Star Wars novellization author Alan Dean Foster. This is set just after ANH, and was actually authorized by George Lucas to be written by Foster as the sequel to 1977's "Star Wars," should that movie turn out to be a low to mid-level success.

11. entweichen

Aug 11, 2003
    Christ, you guys are a bit touchy and defensive.

For starters, yes, wrong forum. I realized that after my initial post.

Second, let's revist that initial post, ok?

My only SW experience for the past 28 years has been the 5 films and a few video games.

Seems like I stated I have never read any EU, therefore how can I claim any EU author is a hack? Maybe I should have phrased it as 'no hacks if they exist? Just to cover bases and make everyone happy?

I did not explicitly insult any author, and in turn did not insult any reader for being a fan of a 'hack'. Aforementioned 'hacks' exist in every genre, like it or not. I was going under the assumption they existed in the god-given EU, and did not expect a few people to read between imaginary lines and take offense to a reasonably stated question.

Just let the thing sink until it gets locked before this becomes a thread where the elitist masses flame an EU beginner.

12. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I'd have all sorts of advice if you were interested in post-RotJ EU. As it stands, I've only read about five novels in the time period you seem interested in.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    entweichen,
    You certainly weren't necessarily off-base in your initial post.

What people have to understand is that within the literature industry there is indeed something which exists (or perceived to exist) as Sturgeon's Law.

Sturgeon's Law in its original form holds that
      'Ninety percent of everything is crap.' Derived from a quote by science fiction author Theodore Sturgeon, who once said, "Sure, 90% of science fiction is crud. That's because 90% of everything is crud."
    While it's entirely based on individual, subjective taste, your fears probably aren't unfounded.

14. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    sorry if I got a little hot headed...

If it appears that way.

It would have been better if you stated that you were looking for a broader experience with the characters.

There truly are some very wonderful books to read.

I highly recommend the X-Wing series of books. They total 9 books written by 2 different authors.
    They bring it all together...comedy, tragedy & SW.

Also...the Thrawn Trilogy is a must read.

15. entweichen

Aug 11, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out each one of them.

ent

16. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    your welcome.

Although Shatterpoint is one of the Top 3 best of the EU...I would not recommend reading it first.

You may be dissappointed from there out. :p

17. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Definitely read the X-Wing books. Though if you want, you have permission to skip Isard's Revenge to get to Starfighters of Adumar (one of the greatest pieces of EU ever created) faster. It won't confuse you.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

18. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    I think that you came off as a bit touchy in your first couple of posts, entweichen, which then led to touchiness in other people's posts...Please remember that most people are here because they love the EU books...and that's why you're in the perfect spot to ask for help...

The X-Wing series is definately an excellent read- especially Starfighters of Adumar...one of my favorite books...After that...just see what books you like...just go read the inside/back covers of them at the library or at the bookstore...

Depending on what type of books you like- I'm a sucker for romance, but I also love action and humor- you'll find different books more suited to your taste...

I hope this helps!

*LtJS*

19. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    As I'm staring at my chronologically arranged bookshelf of EU (man I need a girlfriend) I don't know where to suggest you start:

X-Wing Rogue Squadron: Excellent place to start...really captures the spirit of space dog-fighting.

Splinter of the mind's Eye: NO...the only book I stopped mid-way through 9read the graphic novel)

Heir to the Empire: My 1st EU book (and the start of the modern era of Expanded Universe)...my pesonal choice.

DO NOT start in New Jedi Order! Nothing wrong with it (alone) but there is sooo much you won't understand...or as my dad puts it:
    Han Solo has got kids???

20. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Krash, don't worry about it...all of the Star Wars books that I have are chronologically as well... 8-}

The series that starts with Heir of the Empire is good as well...I think I'm going to go reread it...does anyone know what the series name is?

EDIT: Now I feel pretty stupid...Heir of the Empire is in the Thrawn Trilogy...

21. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Oh yeah...if you want to read quality EU material outside the timeline of the films, definately pick up copies of the Thrawn Trilogy by TImothy Zahn (Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising & The Last Command)

Excellent sci-fi, not just in the SW sense ;)

Edit: And I agree with Krash that the New Jedi Order series is not the place to start an EU experience, simply because of the assumed knowledge it banks on, it takes in all the histories of myriad main and obscure characters and one is expected to have kept up to speed with all the previous EU material (like I hadn't read the Black Fleet Crisis and didn't understand why Han had such an aversion of the Yvethans when I read Remnant!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.