main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A bit of help regarding Flash

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by DarkWoman, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I'm currently working on a project for college that consists of a Hipermedia CD that I'm making in Flash MX. Now, the problem is that it's just supposed to run as a program and not require a browser and one of the important aspects of the CD is the mapping and browsing through.

Not the question is: how to implement the equivalent of the browser's Back and Forward in Flash? I've looked up some sites with tutorials and some manuals and books but can't find anything that could shed some light over that aspect.

Anyone knows how I might do it?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    DarkWomen, when it comes to CD/DVD authoring, you'll need to use another Macromedia program in collaboration with Flash Mx - it's called Macromedia Director. It's a great piece of software, and sets the bar high for CD related applications. I think it'd suit your need very aptly.

Also, check out this thread : Macromedia Flash hints, tips and discussion

Hope that helps. :)

3. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    Or you could just call the page you want to show up when they click on the back button. example
    main= main page
    1= page 1
    back button on 1 goes to main.
    If you have 20 pages, you then just need to have each back button going to the previous page. PM me if this makes no sense. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a copy of Director.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You don't need director to make a CD-Rom. With flash, just publish as an .exe file, and use an autorun file on the CD to launch it when the disc is inserted.

5. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Giving a bit of a late thanks to all that answered my post. :) We ended up being able to finish the CD, in Flash MX despite not being able to implement the back/forward thing. The professor aparently liked it, but he hasn't given us the grade yet.

Or you could just call the page you want to show up when they click on the back button. example
    main= main page
    1= page 1
    back button on 1 goes to main.
    If you have 20 pages, you then just need to have each back button going to the previous page. PM me if this makes no sense. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a copy of Director

The problem was that there were several paths to go to a specific section, much like on a webpage. We ended up not solving it (I thought about using something like an array but we didn't have time to implement it), but maintained a button to go to the main page of the thing everywhere. Not a perfect solution, but it solved part of the problem, which was mostly the objective of the CD: taking care of the navigational issues in hipermedia. We also included a search button and a map that allowed users to go to any section of the CD in no more than 3 clicks. :)

You don't need director to make a CD-Rom. With flash, just publish as an .exe file, and use an autorun file on the CD to launch it when the disc is inserted.

Yep. Exactly what we did. :)

Hope I didn't bore any of you guys with all these explanations, but might as well let you know how it went sicne I asked for help in the first place. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.