main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[A Bit of Rambling] Has CGI helped or hindered "movie magic" and our experience of films?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Esperanza_Nueva, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    I've seen Children of Men, and I'd argue that the mere fact that they are using pyrotechnics along with the CGI shows that the filmmakers were using the CGI more conservatively and only when it could be pulled off without drawing attention to itself...which is what many of us are arguing should be done in the first place.

There's nothing realistic about the Matrix (and there shouldn't be).

2. Wilderness_Comedian

Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'd like people to watch the SW prequels and try to see what wasn't CGI and where they actually used models and real people.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Everything is CGI. :p

4. Wilderness_Comedian

Feb 5, 2005
    The new SW Cartoon show is more CGI than the prequels. Yet, no complaints.

5. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Probably because the acting will be better.

Oh . . . and because it's a cartoon.

You see? In the old days and a lot of times today, when we talk about cartoons, visually there are no real people in them so you have to animate them.

:confused:

6. Wilderness_Comedian

Feb 5, 2005
    But in this case, they're not animating. They're using computers. And you know the CGI for the cartoon won't be anywhere near the CGI film quality.

7. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Actually they did do extensive model work. But I would have prefered more model work than they did and less CGI. They seemed to jazzed at the possibility of making it all feel so epic forgetting that it was the intimate, interpersonal relationships that made the original so fun.

There is a significant difference between animation using CGi and the integration of CGI into a photo-realistic context. In the case of animation (like Pixar) we can forgive the silly unrealistic look of various elements because we know the goal isn't to make it look real. Its meant to look cartoony. But when taking something live action and using CGI to enhance said scene if its not integrated properly it looks funny and becomes an immediate distraction breaking the suspension of disbelief.

Indeed, Children of Men is a prime example of how best to use CGI in a photo-realistic context. When it seamlessly blends with what's actually there and enhances the scene without calling attention to itself I would say its been appropriately executed. CGI should be a tool not a crutch, something that helps to improve upon a shot, not build it from the ground up.

I have never understood the need to build entirely CGed characters. Although, despite not being a fan of the franchise I have to give my respect to the artists that made Davy Jones come to life. Truly remarkable work. I can hardly tell thats Bill Nighy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.