main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Boards Podcast

Discussion in 'Communications' started by StarWarsFreak444, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    I have been thinking we could have a monthly/weekly Podcast which could summarize the month's events just for fun for the YJCC, or any other boards :)

Would that be cool? I think it would certainly be very entertaining for the YJCC.

I know TFN has one,But it would also be cool if the boards had one. I think that the boards can have one for fun and it's for entertainment and it'll make people never want to leave :p

We could have a small group that want to each month get on skype and have a record a podcast and then post the podcast after they're done for everyone who wants to hear it.

Is this a good idea? :)

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Honestly, I wouldn't listen to it. Listening to a bunch of people ramble on about the latest posts on a Star Wars message board does not interest me in any way.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    *posts on a Star Wars messageboard*

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    wth...

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I honestly don't think there would be anything to talk about, we'd be discussing...discussion, basically.

I don't even really know how successful the TFN podcasts are.

6. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    A board podcast.

7. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999

FYP

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I guess if you wanted to do it and you'd enjoy doing it, go for it. The only thing remotely similar we've ever had is a thread in the JCC that asks what you sound like. That thread has been around for years and, honestly, it's not that large of a thread. There's really no precedence here. If you're just going to talk about threads and posts, well, you're going to have to develop it more than that in my opinion. So think it out first before you do. :)

9. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    If the download wasn't too big and it wasn't too much of a hassle to connect through, I'd tune in.

10. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    I'd check it out if you made it, although it would need to be really gripping for me to stick to it. I don't think it's out of the ordinary to "discuss discussion," though. Sounds like you could do the same as the "Around the Boards" things.

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    there would be a disconnect between the verbal podcast, and the ability to then find the threads / posts that were being referred to. The "around the boards" works well because it includes the links to the threads of interest.

nothing against the idea, I just don't see it working

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Plus I can imagine massive controversy over exactly how to pronounce 'lol'. :p

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    lawl @ "ehl-oh-ehl"

14. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Well the key would obviously be to make it funny. Just a "podcast" would be uninteresting. The people who produce the podcast would have to not only report on events, but parody them, and even make some up maybe. It would have to be a tongue-in-cheek thing. The first rule of entertainment is making fun of people.

15. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    What about those who don't have ipod or itunes and don't want either hmmm?

I am strongly opposed to ever owning an ipod ...

16. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    You don't need an Ipod to listen to Itunes stuff. You can burn them on a disc. In fact, you can burn all podcasts that are MP3's on a disk. Not that hard.

17. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    It might help to read a post before commenting on it, I mentioned more than just the fact I don't own and don't want to own an Ipod I also will not use Itunes ...

Seriously though how many people on the boards who have Ipods would actually take up the space to hear about what is going on at the message board they visit? If you want to know whats going on why not look around on the message boards?

18. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Yeah, people here never know what's going on anyway.

19. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Well I know a lot of people that use Itunes who don't have Ipods, it's extremely common. Lot's of people download pod vidcasts to watch on their computer.
    Still I don't think too many people would listen to it...

Unless you did something where you interviewed (kinda)famous people, like actors, authors, artists, writers( or mods:p), then it might be interesting.

20. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    but again, you don't need iTunes to download and listen to mp3 files. Windows Mediaplayer or a host of other media playing software works just as well.

edit

just to clarify, your dislike of iPods and iTunes will in no way affect your (or anyone elses) ability to download and enjoy podcasts.

21. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    You can spotlight certain forums and threads. That takes alot of research but im not sure how much it will draw in people to listen.

22. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Like I said, you have to make it interesting. Parody some events, do some funny stuff, do a mock weekly interview of a random celebrity/politician, make fun of something, ect.

No one would want to watch it if it was just about what was going on around the boards that week. You would have to get to the point where people watch the podcast for the same reason they read YJCC threads. Humor.

23. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Perhaps the people hyping the idea, should put together a sample of what they intend to include in a weekly podcast. Which one of you plans on hosting it?

24. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    StarWarsFreak444 did bring the idea up...

Wanderguard seems to have a good idea about...

25. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    ASG makes a good point. Anyone could put together a podcast, record it and upload to it to any free podcast host (there are hundreds of free providers), then put a link here. It would make a stronger case if we saw(heard) a sample and the first draft was popular with users.

I'd avoid being too generic - ie your suggestion of doing a mock interview, as it's really got nothing to do with board life, and would be no different to the thousands of independent comedy podcast which are already available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.