main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A brief comment on "The Force Awakens".....

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by --Stranger--, May 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. --Stranger--

--Stranger-- Jedi Master

Sep 13, 2012
    On the passing December, I watched "SW: The Force Awakens" at the cinema.It was a great movie for the audiences who were watching SW for the first time, but as a fan of the OT movies; I could say that the movie didn't satisfy me.I was expecting to see a movie at the level of the classic trilogy, for the movie was directed by J.J. Abrams.I know that J.J. Abrams is a fan of the original movies, and the movie "indeed" was carrying the soul of the OT; it was "prominently" better than E1 and E2, but it wasn't as good as E4, E5 and E6 (I read Empire Mag.'s exclusive 319th issue which was focusing on the new SW movie, and I liked it a lot! ;) I also read Helen O'Hara's detailed critism about the movie at issue 320).Mr. Abrams' biggest mistake in the movie was to reveal the true identity of Kylo Ren too quickly, for it'd be better if the character's identity was revealed through-the-end-of E8; that'd come more "shocking/surprising" for the audiences, and the visuality used in the movie could be better.The space-vehicles and the grotesque characters in the movie could-appear-more-"proportional" with each other.But, of course; after all, I watched the movie in 3D, the "healtiest" comment I may make shall be after I watch the movie in 2D; in its most natural form.The surprise appearance of Luke Skywalker was one of the elements those saved the movie, and it was so cool to see Mark Hamill at a SW movie one more time :) .The film's biggest "upper-hand" was the enhanced visual-effects which weren't existing at the time of the classic movies, and this is the full-side of the half-filled glass: The computer generated creatures, places and space-vehicles facilitate the efforts of the directors and give them (the directors) the opportunity to make marvellous things which were so hard to do back in the time of the OT movies.

But the empty-side (of the glass) is; much like the 3D visuality, the visual-effects lessen the naturality of movies.With the lack of "hand-made" vehicles, "effort-required" places; the new sci-fi movies appear away from being "natural" when I compare them to the classic sci-fis.The sci-fis those were made before the era of the enhanced (visual) effects, before the "dark times" :) come more natural for me.I'm 38 years old; and that means it's been 3 years since I passed half of the way.I recall the first time when I watched SW so well.I was a little child, and the first SW movie I watched was ROTJ.I was mesmerized by the appearance of the movie; I mean the space vehicles, the fictional/fantastic places, the-scene-when-Luke ignites his lightsaber above the pit of Sarlacc and the space battle towards the end of the movie were more than enough to dizzy me :) .Lots of things about movie-making have changed ever since.Now; straining to generate fantastic-appearing stuff is replaced by computer-made things.And in that era when the cinemas are being conquered by the computer-generated effects, the theaters are gaining more and more importance with each passing day as a scope of observing the actors'/actresses' efforts within a natural athmosphere.Oh, I also am a theatre audience as well as a fan of cinema movies; and each spectacle appeases me in the same way as if I was taking a walk along the shore (I like shore-walks a lot :) ) , reading a book, going around in a park (even playing at seesaw with someone at the same park) , sitting in a cafe and chatting.At the theatre parlour, "stage dust" delivers hope and happiness to the people it touches with its magical talisman in a world where the word "fairy-tales" is but a fictional notion.I also read the critisms about the spectacles at the "magazine" addition of the newspaper I buy daily (and I always read the same critic's interviews; I also like her interviews a lot) ;) .....

A spectacle I watch also soothes me in the same way as if I was glimpsing at the pages of a book I'd liked to read a lot; glimpsing at the pages of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's classic novel "The Little Prince", for example.Well, I'm not a deep fan of the book, but I like its story a lot (nowadays I read the first book of Frank Herbert's science-fiction series of "Dune" ; which tells the story of the "power-struggle" among the foremost dynasties of the universe). The people who hadn't shut off their childish sides (like me :) ) always have a favourite bedside story, and my favourite one is "The Wizard of Oz".But instead of reading L. Frank Baum's novel ("The Wonderful Wizard of Oz"), I mostly like to watch its '39-made movie which was successfully adapted by director Victor Fleming.All the things in the story (Dorothy and his friends walking along the yellow road, finding the "Emerald City",...etc.) are built upon a very strong "infrastructure".There are some certain "messages" hidden within the story which are the reflections of some notions those we also face in our daily lives.For instance; when the "Which of the North" encounters Dorothy for the first time, she strictly warns her (Dorothy) about never letting the ruby slippers off her feet, or she would be at the mercy of the "Wicked Witch of the West".The "ruby slippers" those Dorothy wears represent "power".And the Witch (of the North) also tells Dorothy to follow the "yellow brick road" to reach the "Emerald City" for finding the Wizard of Oz, and the yellow brick road is the reflection of the notions of "truth, honesty and goodness" at the story.And when Dorothy follows the road (with the ruby slippers on her feet) ; she "succeeds" in reaching the Emerald City, and finally finding the mysterious Wizard of Oz.....There are lots of "codes" ; lots of "messages" hidden within the story, and the thing I've mentioned is just one.....

I used to read the spectacle criticisms on thursdays at the magazine addition, now they appear randomly (mostly on weekends) , but that's ok, I glimpse at the pages of the addition everyday ;) .The (spectacle) criticisms I read show that the "stage dust" has a way of "communicating" with people not only inside a theatre parlour, but also outside of the parlour ; via the newspaper columns, and considering the fact that internet gives various opportunities of "communicating" to the people, it's also good to know that the stage dust has an e-mail adress ;) ...............

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock is a music genre that takes my soul to the peak. May I salute the "Stage Dust" with the song of the week? ;) : Song for Emma - Saxon

2. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    What?
    My brief comment is should have been better not so sure it was JJ's fault, but hope they do better next time.
    Now I'll reread the above see if I can figure out what I missed the first time.

OK reread it!

1) Kylo's reveal wasn't the mistake
    2) I still think had they kept Poe involved it would have helped explain how they met Han much better!
    3) I don't have a problem with Rey being that skilled, in fact I loved the fact she turned the tables on Kylo with the force powers bit!
    4) absolutely despise the mystery box as it wasn't needed and it was as bad as the prequel trilogy's flawed attempt to explain how they got to the OT!
    5) not keen on their latest efforts to explain the back story for a movie already out on DVD when it should have been explained either during the movie or just after not still waiting for them to get the story straight and it still sounds awful!
    6) this is supposed to be brief right?!

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm not sure why this deserves its own thread.

Anyway:

As a long-time fan of both the OT and PT movies, I thought it was a great movie - it's not just for "audiences who were watching SW for the first time".

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    wtf is stage dust? i have a feeling it may be similar to angel dust.

Dagobah Dragonsnake likes this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This doesn't warrant its own thread. We have multiple existing threads where specific aspects of TFA (including criticisms of it) can be discussed.

Locking.

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.