A Brief History of Star Wars Games: The Good, the Bad and the Incredibly Forgettable

Discussion in 'Games' started by Katana_Geldar, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    http://io9.com/365272/a-brief-history-of-star-wars-video-games

As the thread title said, it's brief but an interesting look at the history of SW gaming. I thought it all started with the coin-operated Battle of Yavin wireframe thing, but it goes back even further. Any thoughts? Memories? I still remember playing the gameboy SW (not on here) and having to sit with a light above my head so I could see the screen and having no idea what was going on or what the hell I was meant to do.

However, while Knights was a huge hit and spawned a sequel (and possibly an upcoming third game), Galaxies was reviled for having sucky gameplay and things like dancing Wookies.
  2. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Star Wars: Rebel Assault

Reasonably... sucky? o_O Some good things in it, like I finally got to listen to the complete Calamari Battle theme without it being interrupted by other nonsense, like in ROTJ. And those awesome TIE Defenders!

On the bad, an example of the 'play by rails' game design where the game is designed to force you to do something to progress, whether you want to do it or not; and my point was where three X-Wings have to escape TIEs by going through an asteroid field.

No thanks, I have seen asteroid fields on the Empire Strikes Back, and I don't want any part of it; I'll go round the long way, thanks!

[face_frustrated]
  3. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    That review is a galactic fail.

First, no mention of Rebellion? C'mon. That game is a classic of its own.

Only a passing discussion of TIE Fighter? Really?
  4. Darth_Solomanche66 Jedi Knight

star 1
    My faves:

Shadows of the Empire (N64)

KOTOR I (xbox)

Rogue Squadron (GCube)

TIE Fighter (PC)

Jedi Outcast (xbox)
  5. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    My favorites:

5. Battlefront 2

4. Jedi Outcast

3. Shadows of The Empire

2. Obi-Wan (Yes. I like Obi-Wan. AND THERE'S NOTHING ANY OF YOU CAN SAY TO MAKE ME NOT LIKE IT.)

1. Republic Commando
  6. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    I never realized that the Empire Strikes Back game for the Atari was the first Star Wars game. I remember thinking that game was the best thing ever. :p

Could never stand the NES/Gameboy Star Wars games.

Loved the SNES Super Star Wars series, though. Why haven't they tried porting those to the GBA or DS?

The X-Wing/Tie Fighter duo are probably my favourite Star Wars games ever.

Dark Forces series are a close second.

I thought "Masters of Teras Kasi" was fun.

The Star Wars: racer games are very underrated. They were cool.

Of course I have to admit i actually found the original Phantom Menace game to be fun.

"Rogue Squadron" is classic. Rogue Squadron III's ground missions, though, were unplayable.

I liked the "Clone Wars" game.

I had alot of fun with "Galactic Battlegrounds". It still surprises me how many people hate that one.

"Rebellion" was ambitious. Flawed, but ambitious.

"Jedi Power Battles" wins the award for Crappiest SW game, for me. Unplayable.

7. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    jedi power Battles to me sounds like a game of oneupman's-ship

And I have played episode I racer, found it really hard and I kept exploding. I only managed to complete the first set of tracks
  8. HemDazon90 Jedi Knight

star 3
    \

same here obi wan pwns
  9. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Ha, that n00b doesn't know anything about RPGs. They showed the Saga edition and said KOTOR was using a system that had been in use for "decades"

I don't remember any bugs in KOTOR 1, but they sure took the time to list a bunch.
  10. DarthApocalypse Jedi Master

star 3
    My Favorites:

5. Rogue Sqaudron II: Rogue Leader

4. Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast

3. Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy

2. KOTOR II

1. KOTOR I

Honorable Mentions: Republic Commando, Battle for Naboo, Rogue Squadron I & III, Battlefront I & II, Shadows of the Empire, Bounty Hunter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.