main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Bright Center: The Official Core Worlds Discussion Thread (Aftermath & Shattered Empire Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jan 4, 2013.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I think that would be equally true for the democractic Core Worlds as well. In those early days of the Republic, I imagine that the Core's most powerful worlds feared givign too much power to Coruscant, preferring to maintain more localized control. I can see an artistocrat on Alsakan, a democrat from Chandrila, and a monarch from Corellia all agreeing on this point. Of course, this barrier broke down over time (mainly thanks to war, which forced the Republic to form a closer military, economic, and political union).

It would be fun to make one. It is something that this thread should "pool resources" on over the next few weeks. We could start with their governments in the "modern" era and them make notes to worlds that had various governments over their history, like Corellia.

Like I said to darthscott3457 above, I think that any powerful Core World, be they democractic, monarchical, aristocractic, or authoritarian, would like the idea of a republican form of government for the galaxy. As you both both point out, in the early days of the Republic most Core Worlds were still much more focused on their own needs/wants/desires. In some ways, I liken the evolution of the Republic to the evolution of the United States. We went from a loose collection of states under a Continental Congress to a loose union under the Confederation Congress before ultimately deciding on a federal republican system during the Constitutional Convention of 1787. Events in the galaxy, just like events in the real world of 1775-1789, ended up pushing the Republic from a loose body of worlds into a much more united and federalized structure. As the EGTW and Atlas point out, the Tionese War was the tipping point.

--Adm. Nick

2. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Sounds good, but only if loyal monarchists like myself, who support a loose alliance Republic, and democratic federalists can equally contribute:)

On a side note, and I don't think this was known at least, but the latest Clone Wars episode guide said Coruscant has 5,127 levels. Maybe the population of a trillion only applies to level 5,127;)

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Question for you guys. I read Wedge's Gamble, and the big sticking point in their plan to bring down Coruscant's shields was to create a concentrated lightning discharge using the atmospheric controls to overload an area of the defense screen. My question is: if there are atmospheric controls for a city planet like Coruscant, would that also account for the acid rain that would almost certainly be formed from such a pollution choked sky?

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Now that is actually an amazingly complex question. Though since the main source of naturally occurring acidic rain is nitrogen reactions caused by lightening, which is not a bad thing per se as it allows the nitrogen in the air to be used by plants as fertilizer, and is usually so deluded by water that it really causes no harm to anyone. Of course since it is not actually needed for breathing (and can cause Nitrogen narcosis if atmosphere pressure changes) the people of Coruscant might actually have filtered just about all of it out of the atmosphere, along with any other sources of potential acidic rain (sulfur oxides, high concentrations of carbon oxides etc.). So potentially no acid rain at all on Coruscant.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    IIRC, one of the NJO books made it clear that Coruscant required a number of atmospheric scrubbers that would've caused the populace to die if they all failed - and that Palpatine had rigged them to be under his control as a final measure in case of desperate times.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand.

Well, it's not totalitarian in the sense that it has a fascist dictator or something (it just produces fascist dictators for export to the galaxy at large), but there's a very disturbing vibe to government control of family size, political indoctrination in schools, and the overall impression of Stepfordian conformity. The form of the government may be direct democracy, but the society has a creepy, Orwellian feel.

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Hey, what happens to skyhooks and space elevators when Couriscant's planetary shields go up?

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Skyhooks, I presume, would fly low enough to not run into any trouble. Perhaps any elevators would have a smaller network of satellites around them, that keep a hole open in the shield just large enough for them to run through?

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's been a while since I've read Krytos Trap, but I believe that it positioned the skyhook that the Lusankya shot up below the inner shield. The X-wing books also had the planetary shields as ALWAYS active.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Skyhooks tethers are apparently part of the shield system and the Skyhooks should be bellow the planet shields highest extend, as they are located in low orbit/ the upper atmosphere. At least that’s how I understood the description in Starships of the Galaxy and the Shadows of the Empire SB.

Isard was properly just paranoid. ;)

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Except that Krytos Trap was after the Rebellion had violated the planet.

12. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Perhaps always 'active' can be interpretted as 'always on standby.' I seem to recall that Corucant's planetary shield could be lowered and then raised again rapidly enough to open a 'five second gap' - as that was what Karrde tried to negotiate to get during the whole cloaked asteroid blockade. If it is indeed possible to raise the shield in the space of five seconds that's probably rapid enough, given human reaction times, to qualify as 'always' active.

In that sense, it simply means that the fully necessary power alotment for full-strength shield coverage is always running to the relevant power generators, whereas other less advanced (or simply poorer) systems may have to undertake some rather extensive rerouting of power to bring their shields online.

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Hey they had 8+ warlords just waiting to take shoots at them.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, in XW Coruscant has a double layer of defense shields composed of hexagonal segments that can be raised and lowered individually for each shield. Consequently, someone trying to sneak through a gap would have to sneak through both layers. These shields are suggested as being the finest the Empire has to offer. Presumably, this is why the Rebels did the piggyback trick in SotE -- unless you're with a cleared ship, you're not getting through.

By the time of TTT, Coruscant has a single planetary defense shield that appears to be raised as an all-or-nothing proposition. I suppose the NR couldn't afford maintaining the Imperial shields?

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    The Imps in Dark Empire apparently blew up the original shield system and the Republic seems to have just rebuilt it differently.

Wouldn't they also do that simply to avoid sensors? As afaik they don't mention a shield in SotE but just tons of ships and sensor stations that would be the problem.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    TTT's before DE though. :p

And they don't mention the shield in SotE, but it's a reasonable extrapolation. We do know that the shield system was being built when the Empire was established -- one of the DT-era sources (either TFU sb or LoE, I forget) mentions such.

17. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    This would fit wit the crippling economic problems the New Republic was reported to have for the X-Wing books/Thrawn Trilogy timeframe. Also, with Mon Mothma being a defense-cutting loony.

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Somehow I read that as Tyrant's Test :p though yes in that case it looks like they had trouble running the orginal double shield or someone did sabotage it in between.

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, I can explain that one easily. The Thrawn Trilogy was written first and when Mike Stackpole wrote XW he didn't do his homework well. :p

Also, authors rarely understand planetary shields, IMO.

--Adm. Nick

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Zahn mentioned "thirty overlapping shield generators" in his description of Ukio though- I'm guessing Stackpole assumed Coruscant was similar.

21. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I gave my best try at putting together a list for the Core Worlds in excel. I also tried to use only sources that I had on hand, and not use wookieepedia as much, so that I could get some context and make some judgement calls. To save me a little time in dealing with dates, the modern era pretty much means clone wars and on, and then I used the founding date of the Republic as the limit going back in time.
    [​IMG]

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I wouldn't call "empire" a government type -- it is more of a governance structure than anything else. An empire can be republican (the Roman Republic) or monarchical (the Roman Empire, the British Empire, most European "empires"), or democratic (classical Athens). Naturally, this is using the term empire in its loosest sense, but since this is sci-fi I won't quibble about translation imperii or anything like that.

Similarly, I think grades of democracy and monarchy are relevant. Is it an absolute monarchy? Is it a weak, diffuse feudal monarchy? Is it a direct democracy? Is it a federal republic? etc.

But excellent chart nonetheless -- thanks for going through the effort on that!

TheRedBlade likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    darthscott3457

Fantastic list! You did a great job, plus I love how you showed the various switches over the millenia (Corellia wins the pot for having the most variety). For Rhinnal, my gut tells me that it eventually took on some sort of representative government, as per CATCW "the fall of nearby Brentaal to the New Republic rattled the citizens of Rhinnal. An organized resistance movement overthrew Governor Kole two and a half years later." Eventually the world joins the New Republic. As for Corulag, per TUF they have a provisional governor appointed by the resistance movements. I imagine that the House of Citizens might appoint a governor. Corulag has always fascinated me, as it could potentiall be a representative democracy with strong support for the Empire.

--Adm. Nick

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I assume the shields were up all the time after the Rebels capture Coruscant to keep the Krytos Plague contained.

Thereafter, they assume the war is won and start devoting resources to other projects, thus having one set of shields?

25. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007

I agree, an empire can be anything. Going for more that the implication of it being a non-democratic government, though I know that may even not even be true. I tried to read over everything to get context, like for example it says Nubia is a democracy, but in the article it says it is corrupt and dominated by a corporation.

Thanks all, I will work on it some more if other come to mind. Maybe make a wookieepedia page on it if I can. If anyone wants the excel or has additions I can send it their way.