main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Bright Center: The Official Core Worlds Discussion Thread (Aftermath & Shattered Empire Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jan 4, 2013.

1. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I updated my Core planetary governments excel sheet with the latest info from Suns of Fortune, along with some color coding. The planets without a full page information seemed to be mostly Corellian colonies, so I did my best categorizing them, but only if they hinted at a type of government. A pretty diverse group, and nice monarchy addition with Xyquine II, the model galactic government :) Still have to scour wookieepedia for more Core worlds.

As well as the known monarchies, I would like to see more about the possible/probable monarchs/nobles of Alsakan, Axum, Esseles, Rendili, and Shawken. Still holding out hope Anaxes is a monarchy for some extended period of time as well:), or I don't know maybe even something like the government in the Starship Troopers book. I still wonder about Coruscant as well. It would of had to have a local planetary government at some point in the past.

[​IMG]

Starkeiller and Cronal like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is probably not the right thread but have we seen any planet governed by a magocracy?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Dromund Kaas under the Prophets? They are sort of more like mages/wizards than priests IMO.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Tund?

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
  6. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Don't know if this old, but the Clone Wars Facebook page just posted this photo about the history of Naboo. Looks to maybe be the coat of arms of the Grizmallt, or at least her majesty Queen Elsinore den Tasia. Reminds me of the French Fleur-de-Lis.

[​IMG]

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Not that the color codes are fixed, but shouldn't Alderaan and Xyquine II both technically be green? Alderaan's democratic history is pretty extensive, plus Xyquine is described as a place see "democracy in action".

As for Ralltiir, I always figured that it was another world with a representative government. Strong Rebel supporter, plus the idea that it has a high council and secretariat always made me think that it's government where the citizens have a voice in their government.

--Adm. Nick

8. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007

From the SWTOR stuff of an elected king by a solely aristocratic Parliament and Alderaan being that way for a significant amount of time I think monarchy is more appropriate. I know democracy is brought up with Alderaan a lot but we don't seem to see enough of how its actually implemented in their government.

I should make Xyquine II grey for its mixed government, though I would like to know how the democracy part functioned. Grey was just everything that wasn't a monarchy/aristocracy, democracy/republic, or a corporatocracy.

I could not get a good hold on the government of Ralltiir from what I found, though I agree a representative government is certainly likely.

Hopefully their is another sourcebook coming along soon with some more information:)

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, Xyquine II is described as a "hereditary monarchy and parliament" under the government information tab in the main entry. The background section states the following:

"Technically a hereditary monarchy, the planet is actually ruled by a competent parliament. A tradition of civic involvement and peaceful activism has permeated Xyquine II's society for thousands of years, and still exists today. One need only visit the Millennial Forum to see Xyquine II's democracy in action."

The only other reference to it is that the hereditary monarchy maintains executive power, while the parliament serves the people in matters of law and policy. It really sounds like a quasi version of the modern United Kingdom, expect that the monarch is not a figurehead but is the actual executive with governmental duties. The thing I love about recent sourcebooks is that we are moving away from generic "democracy", "monarchy", etc definitions and getting into the subtle nuances. The fact that the SOF guide as a democratic republic, a representative republic, a parliamentary republic, and a joint hereditary monarchy/parliamentary democracy show this! I know you are a fan of monarchies, so imagine how cool it would be to see different versions of them as well. You would have absolute monarchs, figurehead monarchs, monarchs that work within democratic structures, tyrannical monarchs, etc. FFG is showing us that they like attention to detail, which is a good thing!

Heck, just look at my beloved Outer Rim world of Dac. Strong supporter of democracy, governed by an elected, representative council, and possessing a figurehead monarch. Hell, with the strong naval traditions thrown in, Dac might be another world in the GFFA akin to the UK.

GrandAdmiralJello

See, I can live with the Fish King. :p Considering that the EU only focused prior on Dac's democratic council and never their chief executive, having a figurehead king works for me. Afterall, regardless of what the title of the chief executive is, having a strong commitment to representative government and democracy is good in my book.

--Adm. Nick

Iron_lord and darthscott3457 like this.
  10. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007

Yes the diversity in the nomenclature is definitely welcome for what would surely be a politically diverse Galaxy. It feels like at least some more thought has been put into it. I hate it when something is listed as the planets government and then you read the description of the planets people and history and it seems pretty off base or unexplained from what is listed.

I feel for you on Dac, TCW seems to like to give every non-human world a monarch or at least its felt that way. It looks like there will be another new one from season 6 if I have interpreted the german previews correctly.

11. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Denon is going to appear in SWTOR apparently.

darthscott3457 and blackmyron like this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Fantastic news! Any other details yet?

--Adm. Nick

13. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Let's see - oh, there are some screenshots...sadly, it looks we just see it from orbit, where it doesn't look too different from other city planets. The map itself has a bunch of Sith, Republic, and Hutt warships surrounding a space station.

Other than that, nothing core worlds related.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I hear that there's exciting news:

And would like to see it.

Starkeiller likes this.
  15. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Alright then: Remember that big discussion we had about whether or not Coruscant has representation in the Senate or if it is more like Washington DC?

Well, in SWTOR, there is in fact a senator for Coruscant: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vanara_Kayl

...........And I just realized that is probably only exciting to a handful of people, most of whom have probably already played the game and knew about it....sorry if this was disappointing to anyone....

I also found it interesting that Black Sun got its start as a simple Coruscant street gang. Personally, I really like the idea of such a massive organization having such humble origins, and makes it a neat contrast to the Hutt Cartel.

darthscott3457 and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    darthscott3457 and MercenaryAce like this.
  17. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    The Coruscant situation is quite odd, to me it would just make sense if they had their own government and senate representation. Coruscant seemed to act as a sovereign planet in terms of the Alsakan Conflicts. I always hope for more lore on the Coruscanti government, though it always seems to just defer to the Republic or Imperial government of the time.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't they? I figured that Fost Bramsin was their senate representation - and the Republic Senate dealt with interstellar issues, while there's a small committee that's the Coruscant government that deals with Coruscant-only issues.

We never see that government in action though.

I think of Coruscant as the Central London to the Republic's UK (rather than the Washington DC to the Republic's USA) - but I doubt Lucas does.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I see it more as New York to the Republic's UN

EDIT: :oops:

21. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007

I agree, I do get the impression that they both have their own government and senators. They just never seem to give a clear picture of the governmental structure of Coruscant, in terms of where the Republic begins and their local government begins.

My hypothesis would be Coruscant had a mixed democratic/aristocratic government. For me that would make sense due to Coruscant's influence on the democratic ideals of the Republic and the prevalence of monarchies/aristocracies within the Core.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW went to some lengths to make the Separatists seem British-style though - with their Parliament, and the architecture of their government buildings, in the Mina Bonteri arc.

23. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    This may sound strange but West End Games actually helped introduce me to the concept of classicism and privilege through their handling of the Core Worlds versus the Outer Rim territories. I grew up pretty well so it wasn't until I started playing those games that I began to develop an awareness of these sort of things.

Basically, the Outer Rim territories and everywhere in-between were exploited, abused, and terrorized by the Core Worlds that were the direct beneficiaries of the Empire's largess. In a very real sense, reading books like "Fragments from the Rim" I came to a conclusion as an adolescent and that was--Core Worlds Evil, Outer Rim Territories good.

As you can imagine, the New Republic taking its position on Coruscant had unsettling connotations to me. Leia talks of these in HTTE where she thinks the fact they just moved into the Emperor's Palace disturbs her. In a real sense, they just waltzed into one of Hitler's Bunkers and started redecorating.

Worse, this Core-World centricism would pollute and extend throughout the rest of the Republic as there's no real sense the New Republic has done anything to redress the horrific concentration of power in the Core Worlds versus the Outer Rim territories. In Planet of Twilight, Leia is unsympathetic to the crushing poverty of a planet and hides behind the excuse of direct democracy to not intervene.

FOR SHAME, Leia.

The wants of the majority do not trump the needs of the minority nor do the reverse. Or would the Trillion on Coruscant trump the needs of those on Tatooine? Sadly, the New Republic shows itself to be just as much a crony-esque government of the Core Worlds as others.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Black Fleet Crisis, while she does eventually manage to intervene, she has to fight the noninterventionists all the way.

25. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    I am amused that apparently WEG lead C19 and Jello in opposite directions.