main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Bright Center: The Official Core Worlds Discussion Thread (Aftermath & Shattered Empire Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jan 4, 2013.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Stereotypes irk me. All Core Worlds & worlders are not snobbish aristocrats who exploit others. Neither are all Rim Worlds and worlders backwater hicks who are exploited. The Galaxy is far more nuanced, far more diverse, and far more interesting that that. When people paint in such broad strokes, we lose so many finer details. [face_shame_on_you]

--Adm. Nick

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yes, but as the Onion once said - "Stereotypes are a real time saver." :p

MercenaryAce likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Right and all Mon Calamari aren't smuggler-hating officers and ship-makers! Ppft!

CaptainPeabody and MercenaryAce like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    But yes, I think the observation of the original movies treatment of the Outer Rim Territories versus the Core Worlds was something which deserved more treatment. Dac and Kashyyyk are planets which aren't "human centric" because they're in the ORT and the Core Worlds dismiss or exploit them because humanity extends outward from the Coreworlds and it's just another sign of their species-centrism that they attempt to marginalize the Outer Rim while expanding their own influences.

The Adventure Journals had an excellent examination of the Core Worlds and how they profited by the Empire's cruelties. Even alien races from the Core Worlds were marginalized with massive restructuring that made travel almost impossible for aliens ("papers please") while the humans were encouraged to abandon their local cultures for Imperial High Human Culture. A fact which almost completely failed except for worlds like Corulag (that basically HAD no culture until the Empire gave them one to adopt wholesale).

It still strikes me as a great injustice the territories in the Outer Rim were deprived of representation and influence because of the Core focus (specifically, CORUSCANT focus) of the post-Empire books. It's tough to take Jacen and Jaina seriously as heroes knowing they grew up the privileged children of Coruscant-life than the rough and tumble farmboy as well as smuggler's son of their family. It's why I never much cared for Tenel Ka as a romance because it's more rich powerful people marrying other rich powerful people.

I think the Prequels did touch on more of this, which makes me think it was originally part of George Lucas' vision since the Outer Rim territories and Separatists were so interested in divorcing themselves from the Core Worlds. Sadly, the revival of this in the Legacy of the Force series showed no interest in dealing with the second Separatists. Only continued focus on the Core Worlders and their drama.

:rolleyes:

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Did Lucas even use the words Core and Rim, or was that an Eu invention?

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Tenel Ka at least was kept in touch with the "rough and tumble" Dathomiri side of her family throughout her childhood.

"Sir, Luke is the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim Territories".

MercenaryAce and Charlemagne19 like this.
  8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    No, he just alluded to it a lot with words like, Naboo being a "Midwestern planet" and "bright center" and all that other stuff. Of course, the benefit of WEG was they compiled a lot of George Lucas' notes and off-hand comments and stuff for the toys into one coherent whole.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    True, I guess I was disappointed to find out she was Isodor's daughter since rough and tumble Danthomir girl was awesome.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    TPM also mentions the Outer Rim:

Anakin: "How did you end up here in the Outer Rim?"

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The side materials also showed how Coruscant has it's own Senator while Palpatine represented like, what was it, 36 worlds?

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Solo's were rich? I thought they were just living of Han and Leia's government pay checks.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Lol C19, I have the precise opposite complaint about the Solp babies. Jaina and Jacen were raised in the Imperial Palace with access to the best Coruscanti tutors... but they're always written like average American kids. I doubt the authors even envision them with a Coruscanti accent. One of my hopes for the new film is that if a British actress like Ridley is indeed playing a Solo daughter, that she'd be properly Coruscanti in culture and bearing like Jaina should've been.

Nick, all Core Worlders aren't aristocrats for a certainty but all Rimkin are definitely hicks. :p

Merc, you mentioned that the Core feels more like China to you. I cannot really agree -- there is no real overculture, I don't think. Moreover, China feels like everything is old is new and everything new is old. It's a weird consequence of the events of this past century. Europe feels more appropriate to me both as a direct inspiration and as an analogy.

In SW, the politics are western and the religion is eastern, at least as far as Lucaa goes. The EU follows through -- China has virtually no republican tradition to speak of, while republics with aristocratic and even monarchical elements were common in European antiquity. China only comes in with the Empire I think -- the civil service and divine monarchy of the Empire, from the IU China analog: Atrisia.

As for Coruscant lacking its own culture -- you might be right. It's presented as a cosmopolitan ecumenopolis where you might see and find everything and whose trends the rest of the Core follows... but aside from an accent that's super commonplace in this setting, there's nothing that marks a person as Coruscanti.

For all that it's been developed, we know little about them. We know they're among the most educated in the galaxy and look down upon people from everywhere else... but that's it. Well, Allston tried a bit with his explanation of the Coruscanti middle class officer circles and how they never quite fit in with the NR... but that's it really.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    When I'm not putting down the people of Coruscant for being the parasites of the galaxy, I think it serves as the New York City or London of the galaxy. It most definitely has its own culture but it's the center of everything HAPPENING in the galaxy (in their own opinion).

You have your Old Money families who helped build the city, your recent immigrants, and your working class families who have potentially centuries of life in the city just the same. So, Ozzel and other Core Aristocracy can come from Coruscant just like Dex the Diner Owner.

So instead of a posh accent, Jaina should sound like Billie Piper.

:)

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, Ozzel may well be Anaxsi rather than Coruscanti.

It does and should have its own culture, we just rarely see it since Coruscant is mostly a setting. We get a glimpse of it: Monument Plaza and the Manarai, the CoCo district, the Glitannai Esplanade and Fete Week etc. But we only have the briefest sketches of those.

And the RP was routinely acquired by people who attended the right schools, etc. Jaina was raised by Winter, droid nannies, and the best tutors money could buy. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

I think you're right about the composition of the population -- lots of immigrants and the like along with the old families who were part of the old native aristocracy, etc. The types of nobility than look upon even the Tapani as parvenu.

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The problem, though, is that both "Core Worlds" and "Outer Rim" are misnomers - the Tion Cluster is as old, if not older, than the Core civilizations - and as the BFT indicated, there's a whole section of the "Core" that is about as well-explored as the remote parts of the Rim.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I have to disagree. While I like Star Wars' diversity of cultures, I think there are a lot of similarities as well. I mean, you yourself complained about too many core worlds merely being an extension of Coruscant. Personally, I would go farther and argue that even in the Rim, there are broad similarities of dress, art, architecture, values, technologies in most non-homeworld planets, and even quite a few of the homeworld ones.
    Truth be told, this is probably just because it is hard to come up with unique cultures, but in universe it is easy to imagine that thousands of years of cultural exchange have eroded many cultural differences...and Coruscant's central place in the Galaxy's economic, social, and political circles make it the source of the overculture.

I am fairly certain the Republic had a civil service before the Empire.

As for the divine monarchy...eh, despite the grandiose title, I think China was accurately rather unique because the Emperor was not considered infallible, and because it was one of the first ideological systems that argued that the monarch has a responsibility to run things well for the people, rather than people being his property. Under the Mandate of Heaven belief system, it was not only acceptable, but honorable and just to rise up in rebellion against an Emperor that brought suffering to his people. Combined with the open and meritocratic nature (if more in theory than in practice) of the civil service exams, I would argue....actually, I got kind of side tracked there. I like Chinese history - were I not feeling tired today, I would really chew everyone's ear off. But that is kind of off topic.

I would like to add that not long after writing that, it occurred to me that it might just be that everyone else has adopted Coruscanti culture, directly or indirectly, for various reasons. Plus, you make a good point about it having an cosmopolitan nature - I think it is noteworthy that despite being the probable human homeworld, it is less overwhelmingly human than a lot of other core worlds.

Middle class Coruscanti...you know, realistically they would be common, but come to think of it, a lot of the Coruscant characters we see there are either super rich living in the senate district, or struggling to make a living in the planet's underworld, whether figurative or literal.
    Wait...no, I suppose we actually see a fair number of middle class characters and locations, especially in TCW, even if they aren't as important. Plus, that is kind of true of the saga in general: an even split between princesses and admirals on one side, and smugglers and farmboys on the other, with few in between.

Still, for all the talk of the world as a shining jewel...a lot of it consists of slums, and it seems to me at times to be the biggest haven of crime outside of Hutt space, with certain criminals like Ziro and Xizor flaunting their power and wealth there.

..........Rambling again, sorry.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    blackmyron -- yeah, but when we refer to the Core in that context, we're thinking of the Arrowhead. It's like how when people talk about East Coasters, or southeastern English, or the French they specifically mean the posh ones. It's not a misnomer, it's a metonymy.

Merc -- the common Core culture isn't an overculture like in China, though. It's a common background that comes from Notron. It's like how Europe has a common Greco-Roman background and then had divergent cultures which car together and remixed due to improved communications, cultural transmission, migration, wars, etc.

In China, you basically have Han culture on top of the myriad other cultures. They have their local traditions and the like too, but there is still a unified sense of something called China. The Core doesn't have that really.

As for the civil service, I mean specifically that the WEG writers based the mandarins of the Imperial court explicitly on China :p Atrisia, too, is literally Imperial China and it's where the Emperor obtained his inspiration. The Kitel Phard Dynasty is an allusion to the various Chinese dynasties which constituted the name of the realm.

The Core worlds are, generally, European inspired but that doesn't mean all if them are. Atrisia itself is a Core World, after all.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit: also remember middle-class Coruscanti is like a middle class Manhattanite -- super rich compared to the rest of the galaxy, but living a pretty average lifestyle by the standards of Coruscant. They're still far more comfortable than most Rim characters we've seen -- which is why Pethothel's experiences were supposed to be out of keeping with the normal Rebel one.

The old SW Insider description of Coruscant as having the politics of DC, the culture of NYC, and the history of Rome is pretty apt.

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, but similarly when we're talking about the "Outer Rim" we're talking about the true backwaters of the Rim. Places like the Tion Cluster and Hutt Space have civilizations as old as most of the Core. Muuninlist and the Corporate Sector are centers of finance and commerce. Even Tatooine isn't a true 'backwater' as it lies at an important junction - it's that the planet itself is inhospitable.

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Plus there are worlds like Dac that are as advanced and have huge influence on galactic politics.

--Adm. Nick

21. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Eriadu, Dac, Muunilinst, Sullust.... Between them they control at least as large a portion of the galaxy as the Core. The Outer Rim isn't a backwater; it's full of backwaters, which is different. And apparently Ryloth is also one of the most influential senatorial voices.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I call those places backwaters too. :p Remember that this is essentially part of the Core ethos -- or at least, the Coruscanti one. ;)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Affluent Coruscanti with Muunilinst-controlled bank accounts, food on their plates imported from Mid Rim agriworlds, SoroSuub speeders and the latest Mon Calamari yachts sneering at the Rim for not contributing to galactic society. Figures.... I can just see them talking about it every time they get together at the Spira Regatta. :p

Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also the vacation planet Kaleidrian (created for the Swedish translation of the RPG) that is like cross between Florida and Monaco.

Starkeiller likes this.
  25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

That seemed to actually have more to do with Orn's skill as a politician.