main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Bright Center: The Official Core Worlds Discussion Thread (Aftermath & Shattered Empire Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jan 4, 2013.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I wonder if the Tionese pressure bombs that levels Perlemia essentially made the world uninhabitable. I have even meaning to email jasonfry about this, cause the EGTW makes it sound like Perlemia used to be a major Republic world prior to the war. I wonder to where Perlemia is located on the map.

Did it make it into the last Essential Atlas supplement? I am very intrigued by this world! It was the namesake of the Trade Route, after all, and famed for its scout ships.

--Adm. Nick

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Perlemia was in the original Atlas - Core World, L-9, although not specifically labelled on any maps that I could see.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If Humbarine's a fortress world, wouldn't it have shield generators? And if so, how would Grievous deal with them- commando droids, or simply battering the field down?

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Authorial plot convenience

5. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I wouldn't think its uninhabitable. I don't know if there is any more info on them in the EGTW, but from the wookieepedia entry sounds like the pressure bombs are not radioactive. Sounds to me its more like softening things up, in a big way, for an invasion. Considering its perceived strategic importance with relation to the namesake trade route, I wouldn't think it would make sense to destroy it.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    When did this war occur?

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    24000 to 23900 before Yavin.

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The only maps that would possibly show them would be the Tionese maps from the Hyperspace article, but I can't find them now.

As for Humbarine, the sector also had a Mandator and probably a significant fleet, in addition to probably having planetwide shield generators... so I'm sure there's a story there.

9. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I would think so as well. In the SW.com article about a officer in the Humbarine sector forces, Barrow Oicunn, it said that when they got nationalized many assets were taken away from the sector leaving Humbarine open to attack. Again that's why I think Palpatine may have let the attack go down, so he could not only obtain lots of ships, but personnel loyal to the Republic who are seeking vengeance against the Separatists.

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Humbarine, Axum, Perlemia- these three were major players in the early Republic and each was a major shipbuilder. I think the reason I find all three Core Worlds so interesting is that they are, as far as we know, no longer major players in modern galactic politics. Instead of a retcon that explains that there were, in fact, prominent all along, I would love to see more of Core Worlds that lost prominence to their neighbors. I imagine many of these planets resented the fact that worlds like Coruscant, Kuat, Corellia, and other major societies were the centers of power.

I would throw Alsakan into the mix as well. I like the idea of some Core Worlds being trapped in the past and trying to re-live their glory days, even though the galaxy moved on without them.

--Adm. Nick

11. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah I have always wanted to see more on Axum and the Azure Imperium. I would think they would be a major player being a city planet and having a neighbor like Anaxes.

On my Core worlds list list I would like to see more on Atrisia, Grizmallt, Shawken, and Esseles in the future.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I would love to learn what happened to Anaxes & Axum during the Vong War. We know that Anaxes played a military role as "Defender of the Core", but we have no idea what this entailed and if the world was subsequently attacked.

Personally, I like the idea of Anaxes being one of the New Republic/Galactic Alliance's fortress worlds in the Core, ala Corellia and Kuat (which was eventually attacked). Even after large swaths of the Core were conquered, the GA was able to hold key systems. I cannot think of any system better suited for this than Anaxes.

--Adm. Nick

13. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah it would be great if we see Anaxes live up to its nickname one of these days. I would of thought they would have been a big ship builder too, but I know we haven't seen any evidence for that.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Does anyone have their copy of Specter of the Past handy? I am curious to see what it says about the rivalry between the Diamala and Ishori. Was it solely trade based or did they have a history of going to war in the past? They were obviously fairly militarized, given that the Ishori had a native designed War Cruiser and the Diamala used NRDF designs like the Nebula-class Star Destroyer, Endurance-class fleet carrier, and Maurader corvettes. It just kills me that we don't know more about these races or their worlds!

--Adm. Nick

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I skimmed through it, and I couldn't see anything specific, although Han implied that they have fought conflicts in the past - the main problem appears to be how opposite the two cultures are, the Diamala being unemotional and the Ishori being over-emotional.

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I managed to dig my copy out and one thing that caught my eye was the the Iphigini, from the aptly named Iphigin. Another example of a major non-human Core species that apparently was a major trade hub for the Southern Core and a important New Republic world. Add these guys to my list of Core Worlds and species that I would love to be explored more. It does seem rather interesting that the majority of non-human Core Worlds are located in the Southern Core, with a few notable exceptions like the Caamasi.

--Adm. Nick

Havac likes this.
  17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think there's some potential in considering that population distribution. In the sort of heartland of the Core, it's overwhelmingly human. There are Duros and Caamasi and Drall and Selonians and probably a few more, but the density of aliens is much lower than elsewhere in the galaxy. What's the explanation? On Alderaan, there were Killiks but there aren't anymore. We know there's some Rakata and Celestial history in the region. Is the density of humans artificial, the result of Rakata or Celestial seeding? Were species driven to extinction by the earliest human expansion, such that there are more lost civilizations on Esseles and Corulag like on Alderaan? Or did humanity just have the luck of its cradle being a relative dead spot for intelligent life?

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    To be honest, Havac, considering how dense the Core Worlds should be we've probably only scratched the surface on the distribution of races - we've really only been seeing the influential worlds, which does appear to weigh disproportionately to humans. (The latter appears to because humanity seems to have more of a colonization drive than a lot of races - I seem to recall at least one source mentioning this, but I can't remember where)

19. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I don't think humanity was in a relative dead spot, it's just that the Core is really the only part of the galaxy that could be considered 'heavily settled.' There's 1 billion inhabited systems with someone living there, but the Empire was only aware of 5 million sentient species. If even 500 million of those systems were in territory the Empire was aware of (a conservative estimate, the Unknown Regions doesn't take up half the map), then the ratio is 1 species for every 100 systems. That means 99% of the planets in the galaxy that harbor sentient life did not have a native sentient species and were instead settled via colonization.

So the humans colonized and expanded with considerable rapidity compared to other species. The real question is why did they do that? Time provides an answer in some cases, the humans had tens of thousands of years head start on a number of comparable species (and also later on made a concerted effort under the Pius Dea to crush alien expansion later on). However there were other species: Duros, Devaronians, Herglic, and Hutts to name a few, that got started at roughly the same time.

Hutts we can explain - they have long lifespans and a low birthrate and they only trust their slaves for management so far, so that limits their growth. Devaronians also have a built in biological explanation - the females don't make the curiousity of the males, and gender imbalances restricted growth. Duros and Herglic are much more curious, particularly the Duros - why aren't their more Duros worlds? Maybe it has something to do with the metamorphosis involved, and it takes more time for the Duros in colonies to establish environments suitable for their grubs than it does for human children or something.

Of course, we could give the human expansion some other advantage - perhaps a technology left behind by the Rakata. Here's one possibility: droids. We know the Rakata had advanced droid technology. Perhaps one of the early human worlds, Notron, Corellia, or the like, was a center for droid manufacture and humanity expanded with vast hordes of labor droids to support their rapid colonization.

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Duros are described as one of the most commonly found aliens across the galaxy, being found on nearly every Republic world. So in terms of population, the Duros are rather large. The difference is that Duros don't appear to focus much on colonizing their own world (with some exceptions) and would rather settle on established Republic worlds (Duros are described as being very gregarious) or exploring the galaxy's unknowns (Duros are also described as explorers). The Duros in general fascinate me a great deal, in that they are a very major Republic species that humans in the Core appear to never have had conflict with. They worked closely with Corellians and Coruscanti in the early Core period to build a network of hyperspace cannons and blaze new star routes, so it appears that the Duros are a species that wasn't overly agressive or militarized and instead focused on exploration and coorperation with neighbors.

--Adm. Nick

21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I thought Star Wars had 20 million sentient species. At least I always remember wondering as a kid how they could have 20 million species and 1 million planets.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It was a Boba Fett short story that gave the 20 million figure. The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett in Tales of the Bounty Hunters- p301.

In a sector of the galaxy Boba Fett had never heard of, a star went nova; it murdered a world and an entire sentient species. It aroused less comment than had the destruction of Alderaan, only a decade prior; the galaxy at large barely noticed the tragedy, and Fett never heard about it. In a glaxy with over four hundred billion stars, over twenty million intelligent species, such things are bound to happen.

The "estimated nearly a billion systems with someone living in them" was in The Essential Atlas.

In Dark Empire, Han gives a much lower figure:

"There's only twelve million inhabited star systems out there"

The "1 million systems" figure was first mentioned in the A New Hope novelisation:

"This station is the final link in the new-forged Imperial chain which will bind the million systems of the galactic Empire together once and for all. Your petty Alliance will no longer be of any concern to us. After today's demonstration no-one will dare to oppose Imperial decree, not even the Senate."

23. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Just a little all over the place. I am glad the Atlas introduced the billion number, makes more sense. Didn't notice it when I read it.

Not to get too far off topic, that billion inhabited systems neglects the Unknown Regions, Wild Space, and the companion galaxies, right?

Same goes for the 100 quadrillion population number. Is that over the billion systems (100 million per system) or over the seventy million systems (1.5 billion per system) that warranted representation within the Empire?

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It says "the known galaxy" and it's derived from the four hundred billion stars (and 180 billion systems) the galaxy has.

So I'm guessing it includes the Unknown Regions and Wild Space (since it's an estimate) but maybe not the companion galaxies (since they might not be included in the four hundred billion).

The hundred quadrillion are the beings whose affairs the Galactic Empire is responsible for- so may consist of the full billion systems, since all are covered by the Empire's regulations, whether they get their own say or not.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Here's one I didn't know was a Core world: Darada.

Also near Krayiss II :p