Before " A BURDEN TOO HEAVY*NEW POST 4/7 WEIRD HAPPENINGS CAN SEEING APPARITIONS BE FAR OFF?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ewen, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Italics denotes mind speech or thought.

Jedi apprentice era. Obi-Wan is sixteen. Master Tahl is his master.

"A BURDEN TOO HEAVY"

Senior Padawan, I never thought I would make it and certainly not as quickly as I did; two years ahead of most padawans. WOW!!

The apprentice to Master Tahl studied himself in the full length mirror that hung in the living quarters? fresher he shared with his master.

Obi-Wan had something to be proud of other than his good looks. He was made senior apprentice at sixteen, a full two years before most apprentices did at the age of eighteen and far ahead of some who could not master their beginner's apprenticeship until they reached twenty.

He adjusted his new tunic again and placed his braid up over in front of his right ear so as to hang in full view before he went to the celebration for the new senior padawans. This was the official dinner and initiation. The next two days would be filled with parties held for what the Jedi considered such a monumental advancement.

Seldom did a Jedi, from initiate status to the stature of master get to celebrate in gala regal such as the teen was about to experience. Obi-Wan could think of only two such times, advancing to senior padawan and becoming a knight did Jedi experience such an event.

Other steps up the Jedi ladder, from becoming an initiate, being taken as padawan even becoming a master were more private, less celebrated, but always impressed upon the younglings as no less important.

His master had congratulated him and attempted not to show pride but what was unseen to others had not gone unnoticed by her apprentice .

All around good day indeed. I don?t think anything could bring me off this cloud I am on right now.

Obi-Wan made one more adjustment to his tunic and when he heard the door to he and his master?s living quarters open, he hurriedly raced to the common room to greet Master Tahl.

His congenial smile was not met by so much merriment from his master. Padawan Kenobi could tell before he saw her face by the aura around her something was very wrong. Tahl was not in the airy mood she had been only an hour before when she was called to the council chambers.

?Master Tahl. Are you alright? Is something wrong? Of course there is I can see, feel it.?

?No, no, what ever gave you that idea??

?Because I am your apprentice. We share a bond and right now that bond is strumming with tumultuous emotions, something unlike you. What is it??

?Can?t hide anything from you can I, Padawan? As it should be I suppose but still annoying at times. Yes, I hate to spoil your day with news such as I carry but I find must because I can not think of a way around it. I won?t be able to attend your senior padawan ceremonies. I plan to speak to Master Yoda before I leave, ask him to stand in for me in my minuscule part of the ceremony. After all, it is for your successes the Jedi honor this day, not mine.?

Obi-Wan caught the word *leave * and it caused a shiver down his spine. He did not like what his master alluded too.

?Master, you know better. What I am, what I have been able to accomplish is due to you. I have learned a lot from the instructors here but more from you.?

Obi-Wan could not hold his curiosity back any longer.

?What is this about leaving? You can?t leave during my ceremony. If you have been given a mission then I must go with you, not stay and party to the wee hours. That would not be a very responsible apprentice, a senior apprentice at that to send his master into danger while I stay behind.?

Obi-Wan hoped he covered the disappointment he felt. Not only did he want his master there to witness this occasion, but he had to admit he was looking forward to the rare party atmosphere he?d heard stories of.

?Don?t underestimate yourself Obi-Wan Kenobi. Without your desire to be a Jedi, a very good Jedi, you would not be in the position you are in now; the first apprentice ever to become a senior padawan at the age of sixteen. No,
  2. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    interesting twist- Tahl as his Master.

Looks around... Oh- I got first reply :) :)
  3. Altaira Jedi Master

star 4
    I don?t think anything could bring me off this cloud I am on right now.
    [face_devil] Having read your other stories, this is ominous. ;)

I like that Obi-Wan resents Qui-Gon about Tahl?s blindness... it?s a rough start with all involved only knowing part of the story. :D potential messiness! :)
  4. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I really like the idea of Obi-wan being apprenticed to Tahl, since their personalities always seemed to kinda complement each other on a certain level. And loved how she's protective of Qui-Gon's honor.
  5. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the feedback, I have never tried penning a romance but before you romantics out there get too excited there won't be a much romance just mention of a love past.

Will try to post next week on this one.

If anyone else reads this let me know I am not wasting my time posting it.

ewen
  6. jeday Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow, a great start! I like this angry Obi-Wan. [face_devil] :D
    Can't wait to see how he'll cope with Qui-Gon in the future. Please post soon!!
  7. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Very nice start! I look forward to seeing what comes next.
  8. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Tahl was jarred out of her sleep by the sudden jerk of the public transport as it landed at its destination.
    Her thoughts were not of the mission at the moment. The only thing that ran through her head was how her hair must be messed up, her tunic wrinkled, not a stitch of glow on her cheeks or coloring on her lips.

Qui will take one look at me and run the other way. Maybe RG can help me look presentable once I get off this bucket of rust and find temporary housing while here.

?RG look out on the landing port and tell me if you see Master Jinn. He didn?t say he would meet me then again he didn?t say he wouldn?t.?

RG was her personal droid that had been with Master Tahl since she became blind. It had been Master Yoda?s idea and at first she bulked on it. She?d explained to the troll of a master she didn?t need a babysitter just because she was blind. Master Tahl never admitted it to anyone, especially to Yoda but she valued having the neon green and white mechanical droid assistant. She eased Tahl's anxiety and apprehension during the adjustment peirod of her handicap. Tahl no longer considered her blindess a handicap, more like an annoyance occassionally. RG had become her trusted companion even a friend during that trying time of adjusment and had thus remained her trusted companion and confidant.

The Jedi master heard the familiar whistling sound as the droid extended *her* sensors and searched for Master Jinn while they were still on the ship. He treasured droid friend took only a few seconds to make her evaluations of the crowd.

?Sorry master, I did not sense Master Jinn?s force signature among the crowd. Possibly he will comm you. That should give you time to freshen up in your own room.? The droid had been made with the specification of entirely female humanoid and was finely attuned to Tahl?s roller coaster emotions. Right now RG knew how important it was for Tahl to look her best. Tahl often thought the engineer who designed RG had found a way to install human emotions, compassion, and love in her personal droid.

This morning Master Tahl was particularly glad that RG was with her to instruct her on appearance and aid her in correcting anything about it that needed honestly.

?Come RG we have to find a room. I will need to freshen up. You are right. I am sure that within a couple of hours I will hear from Qui...err... Master Jinn.?

Another whining sound and Tahl knew RG was right in front of her to gently guide the way.

?Look terrible you do. Meet that Master Jinn of *yours* then I suggest you start in as soon as we get to your resting place and attempt repair on your person. Hair stands up like you have stuck your hand in an electric transference case.?

Tahl rolled her sightless eyes as she descended from the ship.

?Thanks!! You know I can always send you back and have your specs adjusted, make you a droid that can not talk, just print out info to me.?

?Then my opinion of your looks would be far less difficult to handle. A mess you are but I will have that corrected soon. Now let us be on our way with no more talk of your vainness.?

RG knew well of Tahl?s vainness and expected it with who she planned to meet. Deep in the recesses of the droids circuits were many long talks hidden there. Talks of private things Tahl would never tell a living soul. However, her droid was a walking source of her past accomplishments and heartbreaks. Out of them all, missing Qui-Gon reigned most as the hot topic.

## back on Coruscant##

ME?. Master Yoda, you can?t be serious.?

Mace hoped Master Yoda hadn?t noticed his voice shot up an octave higher as he started to plead his case.

As if Yoda might not have heard his first response, Mace repeated it again.

?YOU can?t be serious. That is the principle reason I became a council member. I loved the Jedi field work but after my experience raising a child, my one pad wan, I chose the council over missions tugging a kid along with me.

?Do justice to your position you do not. Tell me now after all these ye
  9. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Just upping this story in hopes of finding reader for it

ewen
  10. Altaira Jedi Master

star 4
    I found it! :p making some early calls and had to get offline. ;)

I enjoyed RGs gentle teasing of Tahl, she does have a friend in her. Mace is acting like he?s being herded for slaughter in taking Obi-Wan. [face_laugh] I hope he can find some patience in dealing with Obi-Wan but it does not seem to be starting that way.

Obi is messing up, if he keeps going like this he?ll be lucky if he?s still a jedi in a few weeks. :(
  11. jeday Jedi Knight

star 2
    A fantastic post ewen! =D= You made my day!
    I liked the humour between Thal and RG.
    I can always send you back and have your specs adjusted, make you a droid that can not talk, just print out info for me. Then my opinoin of your looks would be far less difficult to handle. [face_laugh]
    [face_laugh]

And Mace will have his hands full with this very ehh unbalanced padawan. :D :D

Cant't wait for more!
    Please, please more soon!!!
  12. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    A drunk 16 yr old Obi- Mace is definitely goingto have his hands full
  13. jeday Jedi Knight

star 2
  14. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    thanks for upping a second time Jeday. and thanks to you too PK

##########################

It was the second time that day Master Tahl changed her clothes. The first time she was breathless with anticipation of meeting up at last with her oldest and dearest friend, Master Qui-Gon Jinn. Her excitement was heightened by the fact that this old and dear friend had once been the man she thought would become her life-mate.

Qui-Gon Jinn had yet to show up and she thus far had received no communication from him nor could she send one to him. This time as she changed, Tahl was not as excited. A fierce case of melancholy had settled over and in her.

Her emotions had gone from anger in the afternoon to worry for the big Jedi master when he hadn?t shown up by dusk. Night descended on the city and Master Tahl still waited for her former love. With the total night skies, numerous unexplained shots could be heard and were accompanied with a growing number of government guards out patrolling the streets, armed with blasters. Her worry was now replaced by sheer terror for her friend.

What is going on around here? Does the commotion outside have any link to the reason Qui sent for me? If there is some potential overthrow of the government?.. No no, Qui wouldn?t get in the midst of some political shenanigans. Why wasn?t I told more? Did not Yoda know the importance of anonymity for me, if it is so for Qui-Gon?

Tahl thought maybe she?d stumbled onto what might be happening. She wandered if Qui had been sent to the city of Kiresh, an infamously known hideout; a sort of waylay station for every thief and low-life scum throughout the galaxy, to investigate a very privately kept rumor of who else had taken up residency there. It was secretly worded among the Jedi, that the city of Kirech on the planet Gothik was the hidden lair of the new resurrected Sith master, Sidious, his apprentice, Darth Maul, and his loyal followers.

Maybe Qui was given instruction to keep his Jedi identity a secret?

Tahl stopped a moment and pulled back the curtains to her cozy but tacky decorated room. She peered out as if to look for something but she *looked* with her sightless eyes, a habit of years gone by with eyes that could see. More importantly, she felt nothing. She knew that if Qui-Gon had been close to her, she would have felt him through the force. The bond once shared by them still had an ember of survival in it.

Then why would he send for me but not warn me to conceal my Jedi status? This is all so confusing. I am going to kill that man when he arrives.

Tahl crawled between the cool sheets of the bed. To quell her anxiety for Qui-Gon, she chose happier thoughts to help lull her to sleep. Sleep did not come immediately because her sweet memories turned to thoughts similar to night terrors. She went from remembering the time Qui-Gon was not tormented with blame over her accident, to that sullen day they had made their separation complete as Qui severed the marriage bond that had started to form between them.

#################

RG stood steadfast by her door. Tahl could occasionally here the droid?s sensors go out with that familiar whine and bleep as they did. Something had caused the droid to be in a more alert state. However, whatever created the over cautiousness in the droid, RG chose not to say.

####QGJ#####

Master Jinn made his way through dimly little streets and covertly dark alleys. He slipped into the major streets only when necessary and then made sure he entered it from the alley in a darkened spot; an occasional light out on the lamp pole.

Several times he thought to contact Tahl but feared his call would be intercepted.

I have to reach her but I won?t jeopardize letting the Sith lord or the bounty hunter he sent after me find her. Had I known this mission would turn so treacherous, I would not have taken Master Yoda?s advise to send for Master Tahl. What was the litte troll thinking of when he suggested Tahl c
  15. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Sorry I missed the second post, but I loved both that one and the last one, especially qui-gon's introspection.
  16. Altaira Jedi Master

star 4
    Qui?s on the run, not good. [face_worried] He is on an emotional swing when it comes to Tahl. He lost a lot but I?m glad he can remember the good too. :(

Dreadlocks. :eek: Cool! I don?t think I?d recognize him. :D Good chapter. I also loved Qui-Gon?s thoughts. :)
  17. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    a lovely spot of trouble for our favorite master
  18. jeday Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah, Qui-Gon really is in trouble, likewise Obi-Wan. :D Wonderful post!
  19. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    UP!!!!!!!!

SORRY just needed a break!!

Does anyone want another chapter to this story?

I will have it ready later this evening or in the morning.

PEACE ewen
  20. Altaira Jedi Master

star 4
    Yay! Breaks are good but I?m glad you?re in the mood to write. ;)

I?ve missed you! [:D]
  21. KSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    A new chapter would be very nice indeed!
  22. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Fett was no match for the Jedi and his saber. His blaster, set or rapid-fire only staved the master from actually killing him. Qui-Gon used the thin laser blade of his saber to ward off shot after shot. He was unable to strike Fett down as was Jango unable to fire a blaster shot that successfully reached the Jedi master.

As the bounty hunter battled his way forward, he also crept backward. Finally he spotted an alley way, a possible escape route. The rapid succession of not one but a second blaster sprayed bullets toward Qui-Gon Jinn. He was forced to take cover in a doorway. That was just enough time for the hired assassin to disappear down the alley and around the corner.

Master Jinn knew that with Jango Fett following him, his cover had been blown. If it hadn?t been, it surely was now. Qui-Gon had had no choice but to pull his light saber, the one signature piece of Jedi equipment that could not be overlooked.

If you had one in your possession, it was a 99.9 percent certainty you were a Jedi. Seldom did it happen that a Jedi surrendered his sword unless dead and had no say so in the matter..

Yes and if Fett was sent here for me, no doubt he knows Tahl is here also. I wish now I had told Yoda to relay to her the importance of keeping her Jedi identity concealed.

###At the temple Courscant.#####

Obi-Wan had been uneasy all day. He hadn?t received anything dastardly through he and his Master?s bond, but neither was it seemingly dormant as it had been since Tahl's abrupt departure.

Obi-Wan wasn?t sure if Master Tahl had been on good terms with him when she left or not. However, with the sudden shut down of their bond not thirty minutes after her transport ship left the landing port, Kenobi suspected the worse; that his master was indeed angry or short tempered with him in some way.

He even suspected that their bond might have been tamped down because Tahl would not want him to know of the emotion that would pour from her through the bond with her apprentice when she saw *HER* Qui-Gon again.

Master Windu noticed Obi-Wan?s increased nervousness that day. It didn?t help the padawan any with the extra saber drills and katas given him by his substitute master.

Padawan Kenobi resented Mace?s interference with his thoughts of his master. He made the sorry mistake of showing his disdain for the added work and now found himself in the kitchen of the temple peeling potato after potato. He had also been warned by Thal?s replacement not to use even the tiniest of assistance from the force in handling his menial labors that evening. After the spud detail, he was to go to the upper level of the temple to mop, wax, and buff every hall floor.

###########

Tahl and her trusted companion, *RG* threaded through alleys, ducked in small stores, anything to avoid the massive search that had begun. She watched as the battle droids owned by *who-knew-who * went door-to-door in search of someone. She had the feeling that ?someone? was her.

If only I could get in touch with Qui-Gon, set up another meeting place. He must be aware of what is going on in the city now. I suspect the surrounding settlements have some kind of search mission going on, much as it is in the city.

Qui-Gon managed to make his way to where he thought Tahl would be. There was a part of him that wanted Tahl as far away from the hostel as she could get.

If Fett is aware Tahl got off the ship and that she was a Jedi, hostels and hotels will be the first place he or his battle droids bullies will look. For all I know they could have her.

Jinn reached out through the force to see if he felt any kind of disturbance. Tahl had vacated all bonds with others when she took her apprentice to train, but still there was an aura of the bond they once shared. Nothing seemed amiss and that gave Jedi master renewed hope that he would find Tahl in time to get her to safely. He had not known until his confrontation with the bounty hunter, Jango Fett that his identity was blown.

Ha
  23. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    WOW- you really know how to get our attention!
  24. jeday Jedi Knight

star 2
    Soooo glad you are back!!! [:D] :)

So Obi-Wan has to peel potatoes and clean floors ? :D :D
    Hehhe, he will remember this good old times when Qui-Gon starts his education. Oh, they'll clash nicley... :D Come on, give us more, more please.
  25. Altaira Jedi Master

star 4
    That was sudden. :eek: Qui-Gon blaming Obi-Wan will only grow. [face_worried] RG tried to help but it was not enough. :_| I liked Qui?s response to being asked to train Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan will have regrets with her death. The anger and loss for both of them will make for an unwilling pair. :) That is if, Qui-Gon does what Tahl asked. :p

This is turning into a mess for all of them.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.