main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A Call For Civility and Tolerance!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by GuardianSoulBlade, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    All throughout the reviews that people are posting that have seen the movie, the naysayers are often being accused of being PT fans and people are throwing out that they just want to "hate on the movie" because they can.

I'm calling for civility and tolerance of other peoples opinions since people are starting to go into bashing and personal attacks and saying someone's "Opinion doesn't count" because they didn't like the movie.

Star Wars fans are known for PT bashing, unfortunately, and that's not something that should be known about this fandom, and if people have the right to dislike the PT or the OT, they have a right to dislike the TFA. We should respect other people's right to dislike this movie, just like I respect the right for people to dislike the PT or the OT.

I dislike it when people go into personal attacks over their opinions on a movie!

Would the mods please sticky this thread.

Echo7even likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    The way things seem to be shaping up, you can add the category of "TFA or ST bashing" to the long list of stupidity.

3. catlover43

catlover43 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2014
    But you have to admit that some of them weren't going to like it regardless.

4. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    That's true, but any negative reactions on these boards are met with, "Your opinion doesn't count!" UGH!

5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I certainly don't condone any lack of civility on these forums, and neither do the current mods. I think these arguments, some of them uncivilized, are just part of star wars fandom culture.

6. catlover43

catlover43 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2014
    I think they do that when they are so negative and their bashing is OOT. One of the haters told someone who liked it that they left the brain at the door.

7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    The lack of civility is grounded in people's refusal to accept that others may have a different opinion.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    In my mind it doesn't matter if you love or hate this movie, going after someone with a personal attack on either side is uncalled for. Whether it's, "If you liked this movie you left your brain at the door," or "Your opinion doesn't matter," if you disliked this movie. Both are still taking this too personally.

The most negative critical reviews I've read never go after people that like this movie, fans should take notes!

9. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I agree. If people love the movie great, if people don't love the movie, well that is okay as well. I'm definitely not engaging in that type of fight.

10. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015
    Frankly Episodes I-III don't have a 95 percent fresh on rotten tomatoes or general critical acclaim.

PT fans have acted threatened towards this movie since it was announced, because if it's well received an financially successful it proves that their go-to argument that Star Wars fans won't accept anything new or are blinded by nostalgia isn't in fact true. Suddenly the question of why this new Star Wars film was well received when the past 3 couldn't get past the benchmark of ROTJ, which was considered by many to be the "disappointing one" for years. That's something many of them don't want to face, considering many of these people were adamant in the RT score thread that this movie wouldn't get past 80%.

Personally I don't think there needs to be a "TFA" bashing title or distinction the way there does with the Prequels. Even though movies are all about personal opinion, when you have glowing reviews and financial success, there's concrete evidence a favorable view is held by the majority.

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    If someone resorts to personal attacks, use the ignore feature. It's why the coding gods created it.

Ian passman likes this.
  12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    People need to lighten up, its film for ***** sake!!! You either like it, don't like it or are indifferent and your entitled to that no matter what anyone else thinks. Ive noticed that a few posters have virtually cyber-bullied other posters over their opinion or what they want from the film.

13. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015
    I think my favorite pro PT post was when someone tried to ridicule my comment that the PT only box sets usually sit around on the shelf longer than the OT, by saying he "prefers numbers over an experience had during a trip to *my* local Walmart" he then proceeded to post an info graphic that showing total unit sales figures, which showed the PT set was selling over 40% fewer copies than the OT. Sort of like how everyone hates The Force Awakens, that's why critics liked it and it's selling out all over the world.

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This thread does not need to be attacking or even discussing "PT Fans" or "OT Fans" in generalizations. Everyone is well aware that PT/OT/ST bashing is not allowed, as is stated in the banner at the top. Attacking fans fall into the same rule.

And there should never be personal attacks, we do not allow that here. The rule has been and always will be, debate the post, not the poster. If you think someone is resorting to personal attacks, report it.

EHT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.