main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Call Out to the d6 GMs out there --Jedi Knights and Their Abilities: Skill Codes and Powers

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Blithe, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Ok, here is the situation. I am plotting several one to two-session adventures, in the continuous co-op GM thing my group has been doing for a while now.* I'm introducing one of those Jedi watchman guys; you know, those Jedi that are given jurisdiction over keeping the peace in a system, or planet. We are actually looking at a prequel-Rise of the Empire setting, too. Basically, I'm just looking for some good archetypes or suggestion for what a I plan to be a sort of long-term mentor, not only for the the Force-sensitive PC, but the more Light Side-minded characters as well.

Note, I don't want this Jedi to specifically be a Jedi Master. I've dug around my d6 source material, but besides the Tales of the Jedi Companion, there really isn't much out there for modeling the stats for a full-blown Jedi Knight. Most of the people in the TotJ Companion are either insanely powerful Masters of legendary status, or green Jedi Apprentices. And to be honest, I've never used a full Knight in my campaigns, thus far. So, what are some general guidelines for a Jedi Knight's Force skills, specifically? The Powers, too. I'm sure some persuade dice and the like are important, but are there any other skills that you've noticed are really essential for portraying a good Jedi, in a mentor-like way? If anyone has the time, example stats would greatly be appreciated.

*(There are two GMs, we switch-off as the GM every Adventure -- occasionally two, if something is long-planned -- using the published adventures and other material we think is pretty good off the net, and of course, our own designs.)

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions! And have a great Christmas, everybody!

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Last time I looked at the rules (and I'm using a hybrid of 1st & 2nd edition, so bear with me), the Jedi Master has 7D in control & sense. So, no need to go much beyond that. That is still a truly excepional person, to have any skill that high. Go with the basic force powers that everyone expects: Lightsaber combat, Receptive telepathy, projective telepathy, hibernation, control pain, meditation, etc.

Now, for skills, let's consider some alternatives to the obvious combat beast that most players want when creating a character. Don't bother with Lightsaber much above 5D--it just isn't necessary, especially in the era you're using. Dodge should be base DEX +2D, and Jedi don't normally need other weapon skills, though pickpocket can be put to some interesting RPG results. Most important area, though, is Knowledge skills: Law Enforcement, Alien Races, Languages, Cultures all normally get overlooked. Streetwise and Value could also be put to good use. Next step is to use Bargain and Diplomacy from the PER section. Command isn't a bad one to invest in either. And for the wandering street-negotiator, Investigation is certainly worth investing a D or two.

Depending on whether this is someone who works on the streets handling every-day problems like a Tribune of the Plebs or a city-state diplomat negotiating treaties or evaluating contracts, you end up with a couple of different possibilities. You may want to look at a template with more KNO and PER than the stock ones in the book.

Does that help?
    I could probally build some stats for you by New Years if you need.

3. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    Yeah, that's really good, Koohii! However, as far as his Force skill codes go, I was hoping for some idea of where a Knight, not really a Master should be at. I was thinking around 4D all around, may be 5D... ?

EDIT: Actually, I certainly would appreciate some stats for a very involved on the local level Jedi Knight. I want him to be a little aged, may be in the early 50s or late 40s. The end of this adventure duology should pit the Jedi Knight vs. the Imperial Inquisition. The PCs are supposed to be faced with the choice of helping the Jedi or siding with the inquisition in hunting him down.

4. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, a jedi knight can have as little as 1D in Control. :eek: Stock template.
    A seriously experienced knight may have 3D in Control, Sense, and Alter (which is the max a starting PC can have as well). So your veteran with 5D would not be out of keeping.

I'll see if I can't build something fun for you in the next week or so.

anyone else want to throw in 2 bits?

5. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    is 4d really considered good enough for a knight?

By the end of ANH, the farmboy had 2d+ in control and sense, right?

Besides, any of the abilities like battle meditation is going to hit hard, if they have a blanket 4D in all Force skills, you're gonna have multi-action penalties bringing you down to 2d in each, which is only enough to use it with 20 people without wild dice luck (good or bad).

I know it's trivial, I just always pictured knights at around the 6D/6D/4D mark with control, sense and alter respectively, with the masters at 8 and up

6. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    I've always seen Masters as having at least 8D in Control and Sense, and a minimum of 6D in Alter. You bring up a good point, Matt, about Knights probably needing closer to the 6D range in skills. In a fight, for a Jedi to be able to consistently parry, and even occasionally redirect blaster bolts, which something even padawans and younglings are capable of doing (see temple massacre), he's got to be able to handle making actions with a 2D-3D penalty on all actions with even the most standard Jedi battle stuff "up" -- Lightsaber Combat and Danger or Combat Sense. So even redirecting shots at a close-range opponent, we're looking at needing at least 5D to be able to do it consistently. The crazy blaster bolt blocking/redirecting of Episode III are done by Masters of the Force, both probably around the 8D-10D range all around. 6D/6D/4D doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

EDIT: Oh, and as far as Luke goes, sure he's got 3D, 2D, but it's only 16 character points to spend; he easily had a nice accumulated pool of paltry CP from doing passive, menial tasks around the farm, as well as the occasional CP from fighting Tuskens and racing Biggs in Beggar's Canyon, blasting womprats, etc. It's easy to conceive that he just burned them all on Obi-Wan's training, and shortly there after.

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Jedi Master Plah-Bi-An
    DEX 3D
    Dodge 6D, Lightsaber 7D, Pickpocket 4D, Running 4D+2
    KNO 3D+2
    Alien Races 5D+2, Bureaucrasy 6D+2, Cultures 7D+2, Value 5D+2, Business 5D+2, Interrogation 4D+2, Streetwise 5D+2, Languages 5D, Law Enforcement 6D+2, Willpower 5D+2
    MEC 2D
    Repulsor-lift Operation 4D
    PER 3D+1
    Bargain 7D+1, Command 5D+1, Con 6D+1, Disguise 4D+1, Hide 5D+1, Investigation 7D+1, Persuasion 6D+2, Search 6D+1, Trailing 6D+1
    STR 2D+2
    Stamina 4D+2
    TEC 2D+1
    Lightsaber Build/Repair 5D+1, First Aid 5D+1, Medicine 3D+1, Security 4D+1

Equipment:
    Lightsaber (5D), Jedi Robes, Security Kit, Local Law Enforcement ID & Access Card, Disguise Kit, Street Clothes, Modest Apartment

CONTROL 7D
    SENSE 6D
    ALTER 3D

Accellerate Healing, Control Pain, Contortion, Force of Will, Emptiness, Remain Conscious, Remove Fatigue, Hibernation Trance
    Life Detection, Life Sense, Life Web, Magnify Senses, Receptive Telepathy, Sense Force, Translation
    Farseeing, Lightsaber combat, Projective Telepathy
    Affect Mind, Force Harmony, Transfer Life
    Dim Other's Senses, Lesser Force Shield

Master Plah-Bi-An has become a fixture on his planet. He has reffereed corporate and labour negotiations, been called in to settle private disputes, and helped local law enforcement with more difficult investigations. He has even been a guest judge of a beauty pagent.
    During seedier investigations, he has disguised himself as the street persona he created. Only the head of the local constabulary is aware of the identity. Governors and mayors may not like him, but respect and will defend him. Corporate magnates and business negotiators are less forgiving. Many bare grudges from negotiations that Plah-Bi-An "backstabbed" them during by balancing the deal more equally on both sides.

8. Blithe

Jun 24, 2003
    That's great stuff, Koohii! Spot on! :D

Plah-Bi-An? Plebian? :D

Seriously, that's practically perfect. The only thing I might adjust is the Alter code, since I want him to be a bit of a proficient illusionist, too. You have my gratitude.

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Ammend previous note: here is the other type I mentioned.

Jedi Master Fla'Veeous
    DEX 2D+2
    Dodge 6D, Lightsaber 7D, Pickpocket 5D+2, Running 6D+2
    KNO 3D+1
    Alien Races 5D+2, Value 6D+2, Intimidation 6D+2, Streetwise 5D+2, Languages 7D, Law Enforcement 7D+1, Willpower 6D+2, Survival 5D+1, Criminal Organizations 7D+2
    MEC 2D
    Beast Riding 5D, Repulsor-lift Operation 5D
    PER 3D+1
    Bargain 7D+1, Command 6D+1, Con 6D+1, Disguise 5D+1, Hide 5D+1, Investigation 7D+1, Persuasion 6D+2, Search 7D+1, Trailing 7D+1
    STR 2D+2
    Brawling 4D+2, Stamina 4D+2
    TEC 2D+1
    Lightsaber Build/Repair 5D+1, First Aid 5D+1, Security 5D+2, Computer Prog/Rep 5D+1

Equipment:
    Lightsaber (5D), Jedi Robes, Security Kit, Medpack, Disguise Kit, Street Clothes, Survival gear, commlink

CONTROL 5D
    SENSE 7D
    ALTER 2D
    DSP 2

Accellerate Healing, Control Pain, Contortion, Remain Conscious, Remove Fatigue, Hibernation Trance, Battlemind
    Life Detection, Life Sense, Life Web, Magnify Senses, Receptive Telepathy, Danger Sense
    Telekenisis
    Farseeing, Lightsaber combat, Projective Telepathy
    Affect Mind, Force Harmony
    Dim Other's Senses, Enhance Short-term memmory

Fla'Veeous has spent a lifetime on the streets and dark biways. People come to him with their problems, and he solves them as best he can. Fla'Veeous has even mittigated underworld disputes and arbitrated on the invisible market. He has been too close to the worst that the galaxy has to offer too many times, and even he has started to realize that it is imparing his judgement and effectiveness. He sought help from the local civilian police, and volunteered to work strictly under their guidelines as a way to regain his footing and sense of proportion. He now works with a partner.
    While there are others who are better at many of the skills he needs for investigation, he is a good slicer in his own right. Combined with the Force, he is usually able to find the information he needs to solve problems that come to his attention.
    Fla'Veeous has far fewer political connections with the higher levels of society and government than Plah-Bi-An, but much more extensive street connections and contact with the "common citizen." They seem to find him much more accessible. He is willing to investigate any private matter.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Blithe -- though not a real rule (that I am aware of) I think we always went with 5D in all Force-skills for Knight rank and 9D in all Force-skills for Master rank.

I think this aligns with the templates of the characters from the EU provided in the sourcebooks as well, though I may be mistaken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.