main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Call to Arms (Vignette - OCs - to join or not to join the Rebellion?)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by slow_dawn, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slow_dawn

slow_dawn Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2006

Title: A Call to Arms
    Author(s): slow_dawn (aka ryan, if you wish)
    Timeframe: ANH
    Characters: Derek Valen and Cara Fyr - OCs
    Genre: Vignette
    Keywords: OCs, Rebellion, Alderaan
    Summary: Derek and Cara decide if they should join the Rebellion.
    Notes: I don?t own Star Wars and all that jazz, but these are original characters I created. If anyone wishes to use them, drop me a PM. Thanks to brodiew for the multiple beta reads, patience and all the help. Also this is my very first fanfic. May those who read find joy in these words...

?But you?re a mail courier, not a fighter pilot!? Cara said, exasperated.

Of this fact, Derek was fully aware. ?I know that, but they need pilots. They?re desperate.?

After all, he thought, he had only been a mail courier for nine months. It hadn?t taken the edge off him yet, and he had plenty of knowledge of snubfighters. He had worked with his father as an aircraft mechanic before he died.

?I haven?t always been a courier,? he told her, coolly. ?I know my way around a fighter.?

?What if you were hurt or killed. I don?t think that I can lose you Derek?you?re all I?ve got,? she uttered gravely.

Hearing the worry in her tone, his frustration evaporated immediately.

?No more than I could lose you,? he said. ?I know you?re worried--I?m worried to--but the Empire is evil. Look at what they are capable of. You know what happened to Alderaan.?

Just two days ago, on his last run, he heard that Alderaan had been destroyed. Derek didn?t believe it was possible that an entire planet could cease to exist, but the old spacer told him it was true. The Empire had a devastating new weapon.

Derek knew the spacer would not lie to him, especially about something as serious as this. He had known the old man for as long as he could remember. He was a good friend of Derek?s father.

Cara looked down at the ground, her brow furrowed in thought.

?What happened to those people is horrible,? she said. ?I know the Empire?s evil, but there?s nothing that we can do about it. The Empire seems so far from here??

?Don?t you see?? he asked. ?We can do something about it. There?s a rebellion out there and they need good people to help them--to fight. You?re a medic and I?m a pilot. They need us.?

Derek knew his words made an impact on her. He was simply voicing the thoughts she already held. He knew that she became a medic to help people. And what better way to do that than to join the Rebellion. He knew that in her heart, she agreed with him.

?You?re right of course,? she finally conceded. ?We have to do something. But how do we find the Rebellion??

?The old spacer I told you about,? he responded, ?is a rebel sympathizer. He will know where they are.?

With this, she looked off into the distance. The sun was setting in a blaze of color, and the stars were just starting to appear.

?So that is what we will fight and possibly die for,? she said, indicating the stars. ?Countless unknown people on countless unknown worlds.?

Yes,? I replied. ?That is what we will fight for. So they may know the peace we have known for so long.?

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    That is a very good story. Just a glimpse at the possible hundreds of people that may have joined the Rebellion after Alderaan.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I would love to see more with these characters. The dialogue was very natural and you got me very interested in their choices.

4. slow_dawn

Apr 18, 2006
    Juliet316 - Thanks, yeah that is what I was thinking as well. It's interesting to see how canon events can affect the "normal" people in SW.

DarthIshtar - I would like to write more about these characters to fill in their backstories and where they go from here, etc. I'm glad they interest you.

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Excellent job, young padawan. You created a short slice of life on how two regular Galactic citizens decide to join the Rebellion against the Empire. I agree that your dialogue flows well and that we could definitely see more from these characters.

?Don?t you see?? he asked. ?We can do something about it. There?s a rebellion out there and they need good people to help them--to fight. You?re a medic and I?m a pilot. They need us.?

This dialogue stuck out. Derek's plead to Cara about how useful they could be was poignant. Her fear of losing him was overpowering the knowledge of the positive impact they could have on the Rebellion.

Keep it up, slow_dawn. You are one the right track! :D

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Nicely done slow_dawn. That must be how things start.

?So that is what we will fight and possibly die for,? she said, indicating the stars. ?Countless unknown people on countless unknown worlds.?

Yes,? I replied. ?That is what we will fight for. So they may know the peace we have known for so long.?

Love his response to what felt like her hesitation there. Excellent viggie!

7. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Awesome vignette! This was so cool, and poignant.

8. slow_dawn

Apr 18, 2006
    brodiew - *bows to master* Thank you master. Yes love can sometimes clouds one's better judgement, as we see in this story.

Healer_Leona - Thanks, I worked to get that response just right. It's a very "unselfish" response, I'm glad you liked it.

Laine_Snowtrekker - Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.