main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi A Canadian Aspergers Star Wars Fan

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by lwhitehead, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Jedi Knight

Nov 15, 2017
    Hi folks I'm Canadian with Aspergers who is a Star Wars fan, I want to be an Official Star Wars Writer.

But I know you have to be tapped to be one, specially that I've got great ideas for Star Wars setting however my Grammer isn't really good.

LW

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Welcome!!!! You can head over to the Fanfiction side for the Writing Resource for discussions on writing help, request beta help too if needed. The fanfics are wonderful -- Legends and NEU are allowed. @};-
    Under Fan Force there might be a thread for Candian fans as well. [face_thinking]

3. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    So you wanna be a SW writer.....

I recommend gaining exposure to the people who write the novels and comics and scripts. To be a published SW writer, they expect you to establish solid Science Fiction credentials or credentials in a related genre. Then the stars must align for you to submit a story proposal. That takes some serious dedication and years of experience. Enjoying fan fiction is a good step.

4. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Hello! I agree with the above suggestion about checking out our FanFic area. :) Let me know if you need any help finding anything.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welcome aboard the JCF. Let us know if you have any questions about navigating around these boards.

6. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Jedi Knight

Nov 15, 2017
    I'm 42 years of age currently and I have issues with Fan Fics,

It's getting my original ideas down that's the problem, my head full of them and I great reader and bibilophile.

LW

Tython Awakening likes this.
  7. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Welcome!!! Fan Fiction is a good place to start, its where the Twilight series started!! ;) Scrawl down your ideas and then once they are out of your head you can arrange them better. ;)

8. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Maybe you can find somebody to team up with here? Throw out a couple of ideas you have and see if anybody bites.

9. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Hey, another Aspie! Sweet! Welcome!

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  10. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Jedi Knight

Nov 15, 2017
    Well since I could find the official Star Wars Forum, so I signed to this one and hope One day to write Official for Star Wars even now it's own my Yuck Disney.

I have issues with that company,

LW

Tython Awakening likes this.
  11. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    You should look at how science fiction and fantasy writers establish their reputation in a fictional genre independently of Star Wars. You are likely at a stage where you should take writing classes. And then you are saying your grammar "isn't really good." To establish a professional reputation as a writer, you would need to develop excellent writing skills with proper grammar. Classes can help you develop that and typing skills. Posting on message boards can also help your writing, but remember, it's not structured like a class would be.

My bottom line is this: To be a good writer, you need to first be a good reader. That doesn't necessarily mean reading novel after novel endlessly. It means constantly engaging your mind in reading and paying attention to things like sentence structure, grammar, paragraph structure, and word choice. Do you know what I mean by these things?

The skill of professional writing involves lots and lots of re-writing to meet the standards put to you by an editor. You are writing for an audience, but you are also writing to an editor who sees the broader picture of your writing within the scheme of publishing. Star Wars writers have gone through these stages and already have an audience before they even get considered to write something for Lucasfilm.

You also should be aware of all the expected etiquette for speaking with professional writers. Would you go up to one of them and say "Hey, I have bad grammar and I want to be a SW writer."? You probably would know not to do that. They might tell you that you are obsessing about Star Wars without seeing the bigger picture. So, I would suggest reading wikipedia profiles and visiting websites to learn about the education that helped turn them into professional writers independent of Star Wars. And make sure you read interviews featuring the novelists and comic writers.

You should also consider whether you want to mention "Aspergers" when you introduce yourself. I can appreciate that people want to be open and public about these things. However, you might be cheating yourself by saying that upfront to people. It can quickly become like a license or excuse to get away with something.

It is easy to obsess about Star Wars. George Lucas obsessed heavily about his own creation. Our fandom obsession with George's fictional universe can in part be blamed on George's own original obsession and dedication to details. But that reflects the care and dedication to details that artists put into their craft in the decade SW was developed.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  12. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Hello and Welcome lwhitehead!! :)

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Official SW site closed their forums some time ago. We picked up quite a few users here as a result.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016

How does that work? I introduced myself as someone on the autism spectrum when I joined, and nobody had a problem with it.

15. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Hello there. :)

Always nice to meet a fellow Canadian.^:)^

Darth_Furio likes this.
  16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Lets get off that topic quickly. Its his choice as to whether or not he wants to announce it or not. Regardless, we treat everyone here with the same amount of courtesey and respect as anyone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.