main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A case for the Empire: Everything you know about Star Wars is wrong

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by eclipseSD, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Waster

Jedi_Waster Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    Coming back as a sock is not allowed and simply doubles your ban.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    But you all know I'm right, because you can't counter my arguments. When you can I might consider you to be more than ignorant

Considering that you're trying to force your opinions down people's throat might explain why you're being ignored. You've put your arguments out and it's been noted. You can't force people to accept your opinions just like nobody can force you to accept their opinion. Give it a rest.

3. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    Death Star Bad- Rebels Good

4. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    Death Star Bad- Rebels Good
    You saying that with a picture of an Imperial Officer as your picture is probably the funniest par of your post.

5. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    You saying that with a picture of an Imperial Officer as your picture is probably the funniest par of your post.

[face_laugh]

That's an excellent point.

6. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I've shoving it down people's throats because people won't note it, listen or acknowledge anything

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I don't think reiterating the same points so many times will make people more likely to believe them. Maybe if you tried a different approach?

8. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think Mara has a point. :p

Tayschrenn

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I've shoving it down people's throats because people won't note it, listen or acknowledge anything

That kind of approach may get you removed from here. Be respectful or please don't post.

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999

Bad idea and what KW said. Most people here are intelligent and thoughtful and should be treated that way.

EDIT: Said intelligent twice.

11. Darth_Tallwon

Darth_Tallwon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2003
    Amazing simply amazing,

Ive been posting for a short time... So I will not boast on credentials. I am a simple Star Wars Fan. Nothing more nothing less. To see my fellow fans argue over the most basic idea in the cosmos dissapoints me. What really is evil?

I have said it many times, the Empire is the epitomy of evil. Thier are no gray areas in the destruction of a planet because you suspect that some of its populace are rebellious.

The Empire was never at war with Alderaan!!

Let that point ring true through all of the US bashing, Alliance hating, and nearly inane evil branding.

I love democracy, I love America, We all hold that life is valuable. None of us (most perhaps) is callus enough to believe George Lucas intended his work of fiction to be compared to the world we know.

Please remember, (all of us), that this story takes place in galaxy far far away, and a very long time ago.

With that said lets try to have some decorum and not break down into petty insults...or ramming truth down peoples throats.

(If Palpatine was here he'd be proud of my diplomatic forae!)

12. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Very well said and Palpy would only be happy if you had evil intentions for being nice.

;)

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Imperial government was not involved in the decision that resulted in the destruction of Alderaan. The Emperor was kept completely in the dark about the matter and Tarkin never contacted him for any sort of approval.

How can the action of a rogue governor acting without the authority or blessing of his sovereign indict the Empire as an institution.

The Galactic Empire was forced into a state of total warfare against the Rebellion. After the destruction of Alderaan, which was not a condoned action, the Empire moved swiftly against the Rebellion. It's actions in that war were undertaken out of necessity.

Master Salty: As I recall, the Songhai Empire in Africa was an oppressive regime with strict social guidelines. It brutally cracked down on those who broke the law in that nation.

However, the normal citizen of that empire was well-off. As long as they did not steal, murder, rape, or pillage--they lived their lives in peace. The concept of crime slowly dewindled until it disappeared completely.

If a citizen is content with life and is not causing a government crackdown, then they had absolutely no reason to fight against the government.

As I recall, the Songhai Empire existed for a few hundred years without problems until Morroccans with muskets wiped them out.

Who is to say that the average citizen of the Empire is oppressed?

14. DarthDrew

Sep 26, 2002
    The Imperial government was not involved in the decision that resulted in the destruction of Alderaan. The Emperor was kept completely in the dark about the matter and Tarkin never contacted him for any sort of approval.

[sarcasm] Wow! It's great to make your acquaintance! Someone who was actually there like a fly on Tarkin's wall! [/sarcasm] But, seriously folks, we don't know what involvement the Emperor had in the whole deal. Obviously Vader was there too, so it needn't be Tarkin who got the approval for the destruction of Alderaan, it could have been Vader. "My friend, please contact our superior and inform him of what we are about to do. Make sure we are authorized to undertake this part of our plan to root out these rebels. And tell him I said 'Hi.'"

15. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Why would Tarkin take control and make his own decisions when the Emperor gave the governors complete authority? Not to mention, Tarking specifically chose a highly visible target. I don't think the Emperor minded that much and if he did, it wouldn't matter. Tarkin was killed. The DS was meant to be a terror weapon and was used as such.

16. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Dark Lady Mara:
    You countered it yourself somewhat earlier in the post, actually. We live in an age of moral relativism.

I know. But I wanted to see what Delance had to say about it.

17. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    In a nutshell, the answer to "Is the Empire evil?" is the same as the answer to "What is sin?"

Sin, as defined by the Bible, is anything not permitted or against God. The Israelites committed genocide in the Old Testament, but it wasn't sin. Why? God told them to. When the Germans did it a few millenia later, it was sin. Why? God DIDN'T tell them to.

George Lucas is, unarguably, the "god" of Star Wars. He makes the rules for who is good & who is evil. He did that already (Rebels=Good, Empire=Evil).

And that's that.... :D

18. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Obviously Vader was there too, so it needn't be Tarkin who got the approval for the destruction of Alderaan, it could have been Vader. "

"Emperor gave the governors complete authority? Not to mention, Tarking specifically chose a highly visible target."

Exactly. He wasn't trying to hide the ability of the DS. He wanted to show it off.

Considering the Emperor's future-reading powers, I also doubt he was ever kept in the dark. BTW, Darthdrew, most everything is speculation anyways, so we're all "flies on the wall", or in the characters' minds. For example, you must have been buzzing around when Tarkin asked Vader for permission to carry out the plan that he himself came up with, because as far as I could see in the movie, Vader had no real opinion either way.

Whether or not Palpatine "foresaw" this event, or heard about it afterwards, the fact is the Death Star was designed to blow up planets! It's too slow and cumbersome for much else, and it's not like a planet can get away from it. It's used when invasion seems unnecessary, since the Empire has Star Destroyers for minimal planetary bombardment to weaken ground defenses for its invasionary forces, a la ESB.

If I were to speculate as a fly on the wall, I'd say Palptine was pissing himself silly with glee when he heard about Alderaan.

19. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    The Empire is like the Nazis,the Trade Federtion is like a Facist Japan, and the Seperist is like the Soveit Union!

20. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    What are you basing those assumptions on?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Salty: Direct control over their territories, not over the Empire. Alderaan was a Core World. Tarkin was out of his area of jurisdiction. He violated Imperial law.

As for the Death Star being a terror weapon, it was intended to be like a nuclear weapon. Wave it around and make people shut up. The Emperor wouldn't have been stupid enough to use it on a Core world--he obviously knows a thing or two about politics. He still needs to look like the good guy.

Think of it this way... would Hitler suddenly admit his killing Jews for no reason, or would he claim that the Jews were somehow betraying Germany?

MayBeAJedi: The A New Hope novel and radio dramatization clearly indicate Vader's firm disapproval and his insistence on Tarkin informing the Emperor.

black_saber: Strange. I had thought a left-wing capitalist group of business leaders would be as far from the Soviet Union's ideology than day and night... [face_plain]

22. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Salty: Direct control over their territories, not over the Empire. Alderaan was a Core World. Tarkin was out of his area of jurisdiction. He violated Imperial law.

He was killed in the incident so it's not like it matters. How do you know he violated Imperial Law? He committed an act of war and the last time I checked acts of war don't have to abide by rules.

As for the Death Star being a terror weapon, it was intended to be like a nuclear weapon. Wave it around and make people shut up. The Emperor wouldn't have been stupid enough to use it on a Core world--he obviously knows a thing or two about politics. He still needs to look like the good guy.

We used the nuclear bomb on Japan twice and sympathetic countries to both sides were attacked during WWII. Alliances fight each other. It's a reality of war. Alderaan was sympathetic to the Rebellion. In military terms, that makes it a target for the Empire, especially if it's proven aid is being given or supplies are running from Alderaan.

I seriously doubt Palpy was all that concerned with people's opinion at that point in his reign. The people were happy enough to destroy his statue at the end of ROTJ, so he must not have been that well liked.

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    He committed an act of war and the last time I checked acts of war don't have to abide by rules.

It goes further than that. The Empire wasn't even at war with a recognized group, it was attempting to quell insurgents. Governments pretty much have free reign there.

24. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Do you think Tarkin would have blown up any other worlds other than Alderaan, Dantooine and Yavin IV?

He says "Fear. Fear will keep the local systems in line".

But in order to instill that fear into that part of the galaxy, the power of the weapon would have to be shown. So would Tarkin/Palpatine have continued destroying other planets after the rebellion had been crushed?

25. DarthDrew

Sep 26, 2002
    redxavier, this may be your point, I'm not sure from your post, but would he have had to keep destroying planets after Yavin IV? The US didn't have to keep A-Bombing cities after the second one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.