main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A case for the Empire: Everything you know about Star Wars is wrong

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by eclipseSD, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Yeah DarthDrew, that's my question. If he had succeeded in crushing the rebellion, would the death star still be used to destroy, say, a planet because Palpatine merely wished it to be so?

2. DarthSrnec

DarthSrnec Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    I will make no comment on the Galactic Republic section of this article. It doesn't directly pertain to whether or not the Empire was evil. It talks about the morality of the Republic, whether or not the Republic was right or wrong doesn't matter, the Empire can be right or wrong apart from the Republics moral status (though it would affect the morality of the actions which brought about the Empire).

First, I don't see the movie (since we're ignoring the EU) evidence to support the idea that the Empire is actively fighting smuggling (thought it may be, it is irrelevant). In fact, as someone pointed out, Darth Vader willingly gives Han Solo to a bounty hunter he obviously knew was handing him over to a smuggling ring chief.
    Has virtually no effect on the life of law-abiding citizens? Are we to assume then that everybody in the cheering crowds seen on four separate worlds at the end of Jedi were criminals who obviously hated the Empire?
    The "most compelling" evidence is really not very compelling at all. It is based on the premise that the order a generally accepted to be evil character is referring to is the order average, law-abiding citizens refer to. You must first prove conclusively that Vader is good to prove that he is not referring to an order instituted by him and Luke in which there is no disorderliness because they have absolute power coupled with Dark Force abilities to instill constant fear in people as well as killing any and all opposition immediately or before it happens. Within such an "order", Darth or Luke could do as they pleased: murder, torture, rape, cheat, steal, etc. because of the fear they instill, the lack of conflict between them, the lack of opposition, the loyalty (through fear and eventual "brain-washing") of their troops, and their Force-sensitive abilities.

I would go further at the moment, but I can't. Maybe later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.