main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series A certain captain is almost here....*SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Redfivee, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Being Captain or Admiral, he didn't got to Moff by accident. They could explore is character to explain how did he ascend to such high ranks. I'll be good with that and it doesn't contradict anything about his character.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

They already have, at the end of the Clone Wars regional governors were given direct control of their sectors and given the title of Moff.

Tarkin was one of those governors....he rose through up through the ranks of government, not military.

Like I said, it's a retcon.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I have no problem with him being a Captain at this point. Though I hope he'll be a reoccurring character and show his development into a trusted leader under Palpatine.

I mean if you look at the new Star Trek (2009) film you got Captain Kirk that goes from academy student (technically suspended) to Captain of the Federation's flagship over the course of events in the film.

They could do something similar where maybe Palpatine gets into trouble and Tarkin is the one to go above and beyond and save him or something like that in order to explain why a Captain during TCW would ascend so rapidly in position to ultimately earn the trust of Palpatine to become a military governor and be trusted with knowledge of the Death Star plans before an Admiral like Yalaren is. I mean if they continue to play out the Dooku wanting to usurp Palpatine plot line beyond what we've seen in the Savage Oppress arc, maybe Dooku and the CIS surprise attack Palpatine in a sincere attempt to kill him and Tarkin saves the day and demonstrates sentiments of further increasing security and curbing democracy in order to protect him.

As always though, that idea is way too specific and I doubt such a thing would happen. But at any rate, I'd hope to see how Tarkin earns Palpatine's favor. Maybe he becomes something of an adviser to Palpatine advocating emergency powers and all that jazz such that Palpatine can use him to play along and pretend that he is only reluctantly accepting additional powers at the advice of his advisers, etc.

4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I don't think it'll be that hard to retcon at all. He earned the rank of commander at one point and had trained to become a military officer, so it's not exactly farfetched to say that he took on his role as a Captain in the Clone Wars.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It is not always the difficulty of the retcon that is annoying. In TCW's case, it is the sheer volume of retcons they casually hand out that is starting to agitate me.

6. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Not important? He's the main villain of ANH! It's debatable between him and Vader, but i think that standalone from the series he is.
    I love him. I named a rat after him, but he died sooner than he should :<. Poor Tarkin. Maybe it's bad luck to name beloved pets after evil villains who die in their first appearance.

Anyway, i think this is interesting. I hope they don't make him nice at at all. I hope it's either a cameo, or something that showcases his despicable nature. Someone on star wars.com mentioned maybe something with Bail, to make Alderaan's destruction personal. That'd be interesting.

Is it just me, or is his model's forehead a little...large?

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think George did
    Dave: Could we put Governor Tarkin in some episode?

Lucas: Oh yes he was Captain of the Republic navy at the time...

Dave: What the... no he was.... ummm... oh that was eu.... ok when we can put him in?

Lucas: Definitely not after these..... I have two wonderful ideas- another one is called Corruption and second Evil Plans- write some great epic episodes from these subjects i listed there!

Dave: Poisoned tea? Joogan Fruits? Sounds damn epic boss!:p

Ouch that was bad.... Tarkin is main bad guy of ANH with Vader.... IMO he is the most important bad guy after Emperor, Vader, Dooku and Gunray (at same level as Nute since Nute is in 3 movies but vitally important only in 2 and not the main baddie ever) Grievous, Maul, Piett,Veers and Jerjerrod have less role and screentime than Tarkin or at least Tarkin's ego is bigger[face_laugh]

Anyway they should've had 'Captain Dodonna' and Tarkin as Governor but anyway... now he is Captain Tarkin- live with it![face_skull] He could've been governor still being governor doesn't make you naval hero if you decide to join the navy- and i think he is soon promoted anyway....

It is not that low rank - he probably has own stardestroyer even- not every guy has those:p

I fear Tarkin will have cameo and then they forget him....

btw would be really cool if Tarkin would finally have a ship without insignia of Open Circle Fleet- there is plenty of non-marked Venators in ROTS with only red stripe and in TCW every ship has OCF-symbol:rolleyes: .... No i hope too much..... they have no eye for details like that...

8. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    What?

9. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    The Captain/Governor ranks aren't mutually exclusive anyway. It is not unheard of in 'the real world'(and actually quite common during the 18th and 19th Centuries) for someone with a civilian title and role to choose to serve in the military during a time of war. Mayors, Doctors, or indeed Governors, could serve in the military but whilst doing so would be referred to by their place in the military hierarchy, not the civilian one.

And what's more it suits Tarkin's character (and family background) to get involved militarily in the Clone Wars; not only does it live up to the Tarkin family name, but it also lets him use his military service as 'brownie points' in his political career.

10. luvlucas-com

luvlucas-com Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2009
    very exciting news all we need now is young han solo,young lando and chewie.

filoni said we would get a good payoff for the heavily political episodes,maybe this is it those political episodes focused on the republic nearly goin bankrupt from the war... we all know that somewhere the death star is being built and that needs alot of money.
    at the end of rots we see tarkin briefly overseeing the construction of the death star so at what point was he involved,we first see the plans at the end of aotc and we are about a year from the end of rots now {i think the clone wars timeline is all over the place} so maybe this is where tarkin gets involved. i do think tho that the sheer amount of eu about the death star might limit its presence in the clone wars.

i dont mind that much when lucas chages the cannon afterall its his universe,but i do have fond memorys of reading the kevin j anderson books with the death star prototype in the maw.and if that doent fit with what lucas has in mind then it will have to go.

wonder if we will see daala,havent seen any female officers yet,

does anybody know if this is a stand alone episode or a arc

11. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    In the Empire the military is the government. Moff stands for Military official.

12. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    Wookieepedia calls the idea that Moff stands for Military Officer or Official simply Fanon, and i agree, but the concept behind your post is true.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Moff For better understanding of the authority granted to a Moff.

13. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Firstly Moff is not a military rank; it is a governance position obviously established over the position of Governor due to the obscene amount of territory requiring an Imperial official. It is also not necessary for Tarkin to rise through the government ranks for him to be placed as Moff. On the contrary it is more than likely he rose through the military ranks before obtaining his government positions. This was, as far as I?m aware, commonplace in other Navy-based Empires such as the British Empire. It was commonplace for naval officers to be given a government position such as governor once new territory was established and in need of an official. Not a new concept.

As such I would imagine that Tarkin was originally a military officer who, at this point in the Clone Wars, has the rank of Captain. Once the position of Governor was established by Palpatine, for one reason or another, he was appointed the position over a planet/sector... he in turn rose through the government ranks to Moff and then Grand Moff.

As for the Empire having the military as its government; that is not the case. The Imperial government, as far as I can tell, has the same basic system as Nazi Germany (if you can even call it a ?system?). Essentially it is one in which the dictator doesn?t actually do any ?dictating?, but rather has various acolytes battling for power. The power lay solely with Palpatine with all the various governors, Moffs, etc ruling their territories as they please with vague instructions from the Emperor. Essentially it is based completely on in-fighting between everyone who has overlapping duties and roles, all wanting the Emperors favour for more power. This is confirmed by George Lucas who said (I can?t remember where) that the Conference Room scene in ANH was used to establish this premise where no-one in the ?higher-ups? really had authority over one another. Basically the Emperor has supreme authority for the government whilst everyone else below is essentially in-fighting with one another because of over-lapping duties and want for power. The Imperial Senate is simply a remnant of the Republic and is a dead limb of the Empire ? it is merely extracted in ANH. The military is a separate from the government, although somewhat intertwined... however it certainly doesn?t have enough power to actually be in control of the government.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Actually that is just popular fantheory i don't believe there is any canonical evidence of Moff's meaning it may be just 'moff' with no meaning.... but he has military uniform so he kinda looks like military official.....

15. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    This is going to be epic. TCW just keeps getting better and better every week.

16. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I don't think Moff is an acronym of any sort.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think it's very interesting how they came up with that term... still in movie he is called just "governor"

Maybe "Grand Moff" was just inspired by term "Grand Mufti"

18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I better not see in the next episode a scene where Yoda or some other Jedi says, "a dark future I sense in this one" or anything to that extent. I'm hoping to see some actual complexity added to this character rather than just having him there as just another pointless cameo from the OT.

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I would like to see a lot of Tarkin.... but i don't think that is the case- at least he is there doing the prison break with others so he has actionful part and dialog for sure- probably with Anakin and Obi-Wan too....

20. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    Anyone watch the newest preview?
    Anakin gettin' all up in his grill, interesting to have them not really like each other. Though Tarkin did have a small grin afterward.

I wonder if it'll be more than just that clip of Tarkin. They're really selling his appearance.

21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    West End Games established a complete and incredibly detailed structure for the Empire. No need to speculate, no need to worry about Germany or British Commonwealth.

22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Care to provide some type of explanation as to what was established?

Also I was talking about the British Empire not the British Commonwealth :p

23. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    He should be around a lot. Frankly, we need Republic higher-ups who are total a-holes and you can imagine them just rolling with the declaration of the Empire. Yularen's too nice, and he's right there with Tarkin in ANH... it's a little unbelievable, unless there are plenty of other self-serving weasels in the GAR who're happy to meet the new boss, same as the old boss, as long as their careers advance. Wouldn't mind seeing Motti or Tagge, either, although I know some would find that a little too "small universe".

Point being, especially with the clones being so noble at this point, the GAR seems a little too squeaky-clean to believably devolve into the Empire. It seems like the Senate has gone to hell, the corporations rule, and it is rumored that there is CORRUPTION everywhere... but the military is the only organization doing its job efficiently and for the right reasons. That'll have to change... why not start with making Tarkin a major player?

24. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    I agree with AhsokaMiro, and I think we will see hints of 'Imperialisation' throughout the senior levels of the Republic as we move nearer to ROTS and Palpatine's emergency powers grow. But yes, Tarkin would be the best way to characterise this growing Imperialisation; seeing him rise through the ranks throughout the show would be a not-too-in-your-face way of displaying the growing foundations for the move from Republic to Empire.

I'm all for seeing the likes of Tagge and Motti, even if in relatively small roles (Motti could easily be a Captain attached to one of the secondary Jedi, for example. His biography says that he witnessed the feats of Jedi during the Clone Wars).

As for Yularen being 'too nice'; we have seen a few subtle hints of a loyalty to something greater than the Jedi Order - he mentions in 'Cat and Mouse' his familiarity with the Chancellor, and seems to be particularly deferent to Palpatine over Windu during the Ryloth Trilogy.

25. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    That's true. I've kind of felt like it's hard for him to recover from the softness shown when he was laid up in sickbay, pretending not to hear Ahsoka in order to get her to buck up and show what she's made of... that was way kindly and grandpa-seeming. I actually like having him around, but I hope they do a little more with his character specifically as ROTS gets closer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.