1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

Clone Wars A certain captain is almost here....*SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Redfivee, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Motti and Tagge are relatively young officers in ANH so they could be some kind of young navy recruits just hired to replace clones in the navy- not captains of anything yet- in Rots we see Tarkin's Venator with non-clone crew so it seems that at some point naval officers were replacing clone-naval officers- possibly they needed cannonfodder in frontlines and all clones with naval training were given quick "how to fight like army grunts"- training put into 'bucket' (armor) and sent to fight and die for the republic....
  2. AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Could be a cool episode: clones having recruits foisted on them (could even be young Tagge/Motti) and the guys are weasels, stealing credit for successes, leaving clones to die, etc. Rex would be totally disgusted, maybe even have to save one of those guys against his better judgement. Sort of a military code of honor going down the tubes thing. Maybe Tarkin pulls strings to get "his" guys off the hook, causing more clone resentment. Ties in with Rex's potential disenchantment with the command structure hinted at in "Deserter"...
  3. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    I think it would be good to see these guys as two very different recruits- i always thought Tagge is bit nicer commander he cares more of his troops and it's he who reminds that rebels are dangerous and worthy opponent- Motti is like "they can kill few stormtroopers- blow up some ships- but who cares ultimately we will win since we have more troops and ships" attitude and Motti just love the Death Star concept "Greatest power in universe" to blow up the planets- Tagge is careful and couldn't even thought about ruling by fear "How can Emperor rule without bureucracy?"..... Tagge is not any good guy either- but i think he could be- he has no such evil flame burning inside him like Tarkin or Motti:p I could imagine him to be more coward than tyrant as commander....Isn't Tagge-family some arch-rival of Tarkins in EU?

I agree about Rex- he could desert.... actually i think it would be great if order66 training would make Rex to be traitor he would never betray jedi and Cody would -for the Republic.... brothers meet in duel "You were my brother Rex"[face_laugh]

I also so want to see Jan Dodonna as captain under Yularen or someone- one rep officer who wouldn't buy imperial propaganda...

Then Rieekan could have a cameo as captain of Republic judicial forces or Alderaanian guard under Bail- prequel from Cristophsis with Carlist Rieekan commanding forces with Bail would be nice- they should explain what happened to Stealth ship at least....

Then who is that bald imperial officer with Tarkin in ANH? He looks old enough to be captain/admiral in TCW....
  4. AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling

star 3
    "... and so was Gree! And Fox. And Delta Squad. And Domino Squad, and the Wolfpack, and that guy over there, good ol' whatsisdesignation, and the kid with the stupid tattoo, and 99, and even maybe technically Boba Fett, and..."
  5. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Hey what about Veers- could he appear too? :p
  6. GGrievous Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Needa would be a better fit there, not Veers. Veers only joined the Imperial military, nothing else before it.

But please, don't give them any ideas... "Captain" Tarkin is more than enough.
  7. Kualan Jedi Master

star 4
    Needa's cameo in the ROTS novel was a nice little touch, though I always thought he looked too young in ESB to be a Lieutenant-Commander during the Battle of Coruscant.
  8. Alexrd Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Agreed. I wouldn't mind older guys like Ozzel or Tagge.
  9. Kualan Jedi Master

star 4
    Ozzel had a pretty good appearance in one of the TCW comics alongside Plo Koon and Kit Fisto; he was the inefficient, unimaginative career-driven type of officer you would expect, but it made his interactions with the other characters - particularly clones like Commander Wolffe - pretty interesting, with Wolffe being stretched to the limits of clone patience and obedience whilst trying to deal with his commander's incompetence.

He could easily work in the show itself.
  10. AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling

star 3
    That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about! Could be great.
  11. koonfan Jedi Knight

star 4
    I have that comic, and it is AWESOME!

I imagine Tarkin would be competent, or at least a shrewd political backstabber, but his personality looks like it could be VERY promising in how he relates to characters. If they don't like him, it hearkens back to the OT. If they happen to like him, it would say something about them. [face_peace]

'course, I'm semi-prepared to accept that this is still mostly the Anakin/Obi-Wan/Ahsoka show, but hey, we've had other-character-centric episodes before, so I'd say the odds are 50/50 in favour of Tarkin and/or Piell getting good screentime. :p
  12. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    No way- i will give them ideas if i want[face_not_talking] and because you don't like it then what? [face_talk_hand] .... too bad for you... so sorry about that but i haven't done anything wrong- you have![face_not_talking] ....

I despise the way you think about this series- you're overcritical (and Ahsoka-hater[face_skull] ) and all -i still don't ask you to "stop bashing TCW" because you have every possible right to do so- and i have right to have my opinions and you have right to have yours- so you think "No Veers thank you" point taken GG - so you doesn't like the idea but if I do i don't have to adapt to your opinions- i have right to have my own..... and i can give them any ideas i want
    I want Han Solo as kid for example- i already know you don't and you're not alone. Actually Filoni and George himself has said they won't do it- so you have a upper hand.... no Solo as kid:(

Would've been fun- i have to stick with EU-facts then... good that Han's backstory has no Yuuzhan Vong or anything EU-cr*p so i accept it and i can write fanfiction if i need more backstory for him:p

Needa could appear without EU-conflict if you mean that but i don't really care about EU-continuity[face_whistling] - and "Veers didn't exists before he joined to imperial military" really interesting [face_thinking] yet horribly unrealistic eu-fact- i missed that[face_tired] - is he robot made out of washing machine parts:confused: or is he just waiting for imperial academy at the time:

"Maximillian come to eat something!" "I cannot mom- i cannot do anything without joining Imperial Academy first- damn i talked" [face_laugh]

.... or if he is not clone or something- he must have lived during TCW and therefore he could appear- did i even say he would be Rep officer?[face_mischief]

Plus Veers-thing was mainly just a joke (i add laugh or 'tongue in cheek-smilie' if i'm not serious so there is note fo you) - Galaxy is too small if all future imperials run around escaping from sep-prisons with Ahsoka and Anakin[face_laugh]

But "captain Tarkin" is not nearly enough for me
  13. DarthPhilosopher Jedi Master

star 4
    May I ask what is so bad about the ?Captain? Tarkin thing...
  14. Lugija Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    EDIT: Wrong thread. :oops: Moved to episode discussion.
  15. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Because it's addition to the continuity and not EU- for some it means automatically cr*p whatever it is[face_whistling]
  16. Robimus Jedi Master

star 5
    No. There is too much detail to go into here. Seek it out and read it. I honestly think you would really enjoy it.
  17. Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Here's a thought:

Governor is a political position. Captain and Grand Moff are military ranks.

It's not like governor is a military ranking and he was "demoted" to Captain like many are suggesting.

One can be a governor and then a Captain, or the other way around.

There is no contradiction there.

Can someone who disagrees tell me why I'm wrong?
  18. CT-867-5309 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    He was Governor of an entire sector and was in command of a fleet fit to defend it during the Clone Wars.

Now he's Captain of a single Venator-class Star Destroyer? (or maybe a couple of them at most)

That seems like a big step down.
  19. Robimus Jedi Master

star 5
    Moff isn't specifically a military ranking, though they do have command of military assets within their sphere of influence(Sector/Sectors). It's more a combination of political and military importance.

One wouldn't need to be a high ranking military official to become a Moff(See Panaka), just someone the Emperor or his advisors considered loyal and capable.
  20. GGrievous Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not to mention Palpatine made Tarkin the first Moff after the creation of the Empire.
  21. Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well yeah if the top political position in a star system is governor, that political position is going to entail control of that system's military, like the President of the United States is considered "commander-in-chief" of the U.S. military. That doesn't mean if a president were to join the military he'd automatically get the top ranking as a serving military officer, unless it was honorary or something. Governor is not a military position, becoming a Captain is neither a promotion or a demotion, it's not even on the same scale. I want to hear all sides of the argument, but please take that into consideration.
  22. AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Gov. Tarkin was pretty clearly wearing a military uniform replete with rank insignia, although unlike some I can't parse his rank from it. It just seems like in SW a lot of people have multiple ranks... like choose one each from Column A (Government), Column B (Nobility), and Column C (Military). So you have Dukes and Princes and Emirs who are also Chairmen and Chancellors and Senators who are also Generals and Commanders and god knows what elses... stuff like Moffs which are open to categorization... Hell, Dooku is a count, a Jedi "master", a Sith "lord", the head of the CIS gov't and presumably some military rank as well, seeing a how it's "his" army.
  23. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Well did he lose the governorship then? Not necessarily- he can be captain still and continues governoring-business after the war- but in the fleet he is captain- they're not bowing to some "governor" if he has no experience of commanding fleets- experience outranks everything and captains are important too- and it was his brother commanding defense fleet- not him i think- it was Gideon Tarkin- Interestingly enough i think Wilhuff is referred as commander of the fleet... still captain? Well whatever the reasons are he really raised in ranks very fast....
  24. AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Is there a difference between the ranks given to clones and non-clones in the GAR? Forgive my ignorance, but at a glance it seems like the clones have army-style ranks (Rex is a "captain" because he commands a bunch of guys) and the ship officers are naval-style (at least in the OT; "Captain" Needa commands a ship, etc., and this seems to apply to Tarkin as well). The whole thing is the Grand "Army" of the Republic, but there seems to be at least something kind of naval about the fleet personnel.
  25. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    it's stated many times that clone captain is not same as navy captain- navy captain outranks clonecaptains- and i think also clone commanders who outrank clonecaptains
    i have no idea is there navyclones who are captains or commanders- i think some navyclones are referred as "commanders" but well sometimes they confuse these terms (Moff Jerjerrod is called commander and all officers in Rotj have commander's or lieutenant's insignia on their chest)

but anyway Tarkin outranks Rex and Cody i am quite sure of that- usually non-clone officers nearly always outrank clones in GAR- there is no clonegenerals i think- only jedigenerals and probably non-jedi generals

clones have commanders>captains>lieutenants>sergeants and all are in the army - while in navy there is admirals>commanders?(commodores?)>captains>navyclones

what is interesting is imperials having "High General" commanding starfleet as well- Tagge is general and admiral Motti refers to "his starfleet"

BTW Tarkin seems to have admiral's insignia in the episode:rolleyes: since body is reused model....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.