A certain point of view: rethinking Jimmy(spoilers welcome)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jastermereel, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jastermereel Jedi Master

star 4
    What if we are all looking at this Jimmy thing the wrong way...

In the movies Obi-Wan tells Luke(and the audience) that Darth Vader betrayed and murdered his father...whereas it turns out that he just flipped out a bit and turned to the dark side......

Perhaps Jimmy doesn't exactly die as we have been thinking about it...personaly it seems quite possible that Jimmy's death is simply the death of Jimmy as we know him but not in the biological sence...

Is this even remotely plausable? Anyone?...
    i've listened to the audio clip of SbS and while it looks bleak for Jimmy...it seems possible...that he could...be turned to the Vong side...
  2. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
  3. jastermereel Jedi Master

star 4
    Ahem?...care to clarify?
  4. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Well, yes, maybe I should. :D

It's just that I find a bit ridiculous to search a hundred theories for making him survive.

It's quite obvious from the excerpt that he's going to die, and considering all other sources (original spoiler release by E2D2, people who already heard the whole audio adaptation).

He's gonna die, and people should really try to accept it, as they have accepted Chewie's death now.
  5. jastermereel Jedi Master

star 4
    ah...alright then...just throught i'd bring it up......next time though...save the post...say that the first time and leave the ahem out...
  6. Quiwan Jedi Master

star 4
    Am I repeating myself or is it just this topic.

It could be something like in Courtship of Princess Leia. When Isolder and Luke are fighting above Dathomir, Luke is shot down and Isolder sees it and scans the ship and finds no life signs. I think the chapter ends with something to the effect of Luke Skywalker was dead. (Of coarse that was a long time ago that I read this, and I don't have the book here now so I could be wrong.)Now, if they read that line and didn't go on to all that he did later in the book in the audio version, you'd think he was gone.

I'm hoping they did this.

How many times has your favorite drama shown clips of the next weeks show promising that a major character was going to die and then giving an audio clip which supported what they said only to find out when the show aired that no one died and the audio clip was taken completely out of context.
  7. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I like to do useless posts. Augments my post count ! ;) j/k
  8. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    In CoPL, Isolder's scanners did not register Luke anymore, but if a Force user who scanned for Luke was around, he'd have known he was still alive.
  9. Quiwan Jedi Master

star 4
    "In CoPL, Isolder's scanners did not register Luke anymore"

Yes, I know this. I'm pretty sure that scene was written in Isolders point of view and ended with him thinking Luke was dead. If it's an audio book and the words Luke Skywalker is dead were what you heard in that chapter and then heard nothing to change that throughout the rest of the book, the audio book would lead you to believe Luke was dead. This wouldn't work in CoPL because Luke was in much of the rest of the book, but if Jimmy "dies" on the last few pages, it wouldn't be that hard.

"but if a Force user who scanned for Luke was around, he'd have known he was still alive."

Doesn't Jimmy's death happen on Myrkr? Kinda puts an end to Force users scaning for him doesn't it?

I really don't believe anything I'm saying. I'm sure he's gone but I have to argue and hope until I see it.
  10. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    "Doesn't Jimmy's death happen on Myrkr? Kinda puts an end to Force users scaning for him doesn't it?"

Kinda puts an end to Force healing, too. And considering he took a *hundred* mortal wounds, sensed his cells burning, and so on, he won't survive.

EDIT : I know it's hard to see him go, I'm saddenned too, but we must accept it, that's all. After all, as I said before, we finally accepted Chewie's death...
  11. BoutyPunkrAurra Jedi Knight

star 3
    i hate to say it but.. jimmy DIES. he D-I-E-S. jimmy becomes no more. forever. sianara. he dies. as in no more brain waves, his heart doesnt beat, nothing. he is gone. dead. and he will never raise from the dead. ever again. not even in an alternative sw reality. accept it. he DIES. i am sorry and i hate it too. and i hate to burst you bubble. he DIES. he becomes no longer. its like throwing your body on a bomb and then having the bomb detonate while you are on it. you cannot live. you will be blown to peices. you will die and your ghost cannot come back magically. accept it and shut up about it!
  12. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Hum... Is that the same BoutyPunkrAurra that went 'berserk' when she learned about it ?
  13. Quiwan Jedi Master

star 4
    BoutyPunkrAurra... the Mojo Jojo of the Jedi Council Forums.
  14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Or maybe he dies like the second time Luke "dies" in COPL, where he jumps out the window after attacking some Nightsisters. He really and truly dies in that scene, but the combined life forces of the creatures around him is enough to resurrect him.

It is entirely possible that Jimmy "dies," but the Vong put him into their equivalent of a bacta tank to keep him alive so they can turn him into their ideal Jeedai warrior.
  15. BoutyPunkrAurra Jedi Knight

star 3
    yes the same me....but i have come to accept it and for the love of mike i didnt say o maybe he dies then comes back to life.
    EDIT: and what does Mojo Jojo mean????
  16. suncrusherX Jedi Knight

star 3
    He doesn't die!

He umm, just becomes one with the force. or umm becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Yeah that's it. Look out vong, one super-powerful disembodied pissed off force essence looking for revenge!

Today I'm going to be an optimist for once.
  17. Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok here is what i dont get. During the little gift from del rey where we get to hear the audio excerpt it has jimmy using the force the whole time. this makes no sense if he is supposed to be on a place where the force does not work. The excerpt speaks of him feeling the force burn out of him leaking from his wounds etc etc. someone explain that to me. just a little curious
  18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Maybe he had learned how to push back the ysalamiri bubble effect.
  19. Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Master

star 4
    and not be able to heal himself then? something does not jive here.
  20. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Tell me, is the audio adaptation the full book or an abridgement. My bet would be an abridgement, which would mean that certain possibilities would be left out if it was decided they were not that important to the whole of the story. I submit the audiobook to VotF. At least half the actual novel is missing there, including several really important scenes and story factors. Only a quarter of the whole Luke and Mara at the Hand of Thrawn is there. The entire Wedge and Corran storyline is missing. The battle at the end of the novel is over in the blink of an eye. The battle so as to get a copy of the Caamas document using the Errant Venture is only about a quarter to half present. I read the novel about a year or two before getting the audio book. These are things one notices.

More over, the whole spoiler is based on an excerpt from the book. We could have done the same thing three times with Corran by getting excerpts from Wedge's Gamble, The Bacta War, and Onslaught. All three times we are given a situation where we believe him to be dead, only to learn a little bit later that he's still alive. We could even take his little joke there at the end of Rogue Squadron, using an excerpt from it to think he died and left a recording. And from what we know happened with Bror Jace, we can not fully rule out the possiblity of this character being alive. Maybe if we see him get obliterated, or have a moon land on him, we can. But if we don't actually see it, we can't rule it out entirely.
  21. Tahiri Jedi Master

star 4
    "He umm, just becomes one with the force. or umm becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Yeah that's it. Look out vong, one super-powerful disembodied pissed off force essence looking for revenge!"

SuncrusherX...you don't know how much that cheered me up by making me laugh... "super-powerful disembodied pissed-off force essence"...lol 8-}
  22. jedijonny Jedi Padawan

Jimmy no live here anymore. Jimmy dead. Jimmy no come back...

I can't believe you are going to use that line from CoPL in the book to justify your denial. Heck, it came out long after the Zahn trilogy and Dark Empire,and Luke was alive and kicking in both of those series which took place after CoPL. You didn't actually BELIEVE that Luke was dead, did you???

"Oh, but it is an abridged version of the book, so they might have left it out..."

Face it, people. Jimmy will die in the next book. Do you really think that Del Rey would be idiotic enough to cut out the part where it is revealed that a character as important as young James here is resurrected?!?!?!?! Jimmy's death is the main thrust of the book, it has to be in order to maintain the party line that says, "You can read only the annual hardbacks and follow the story." We all know where this demise will lead a certain someone, and the redemption of said person would not occur until HC#4 at the earliest. Otherwise, people would be thinking, "But so-and-so turned bad at the last book, now so-and-so's good again, what happened?"

Then again, if you believed that Luke could have died in CoPL, then maybe I just typed all that for nothing... bah!!!
  23. Arabwel Jedi Knight

star 2
    Knight1192, you have a point. I remember becoming hysterical when reading Onlaught, even if I knew that he survived.

And one point more: We'd get the same thing from Isard's Revenge, the part where Errant Veture appears to the scene of battle...

Oh, and Princee Xizor... I know what you mean by the post count. I was pissed when I was left one post shy from 200 posts in 3 weeks... Ah, well, just kriff it.
    Ara
    (Sniffling and tired. Needs sleep, but math's over...)
  24. mutley Jedi Master

star 4
    Jimmy is dead............or at least will be when the story is released.

There is no point in denial he has gone, become one with the force.....forever.
  25. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    jastermereel does bring up a point, and Knight as well. But we'll know for sure soon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.