A certain point of view: rethinking Jimmy(spoilers welcome)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jastermereel, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCI_FI_NUT Jedi Knight

star 1
    If Del rey's intetntion was to make teh story so you could follow it by only reading the hard cover, they've been doing a pretty lousy job.
    Let's see so far two HC have been released and yet on their own they don't do teh story justice.
    VP ended with Mara mortally sick, han crushed, cheiwie dead, and the vong on the outer rim.
    Yet balance point starts with Han almost back to his old self, a new charecter called droma popping out of no where, Mara's deises now remission the vong now at the edge of teh inner core, Hut space gone, and corran in desgrace.
    That's a LOT of stuff to "suddenly" have happen. Fact is it would be like buying a news paper on the moday before "black tuesday in 1929(great depression) crawling into a hole and not buting anotehr news paper until 1935. You could piece what happened back together and get teh jist of teh story but a lot will still not make sense.
    Now remeber just based on teh last two paper backs alone the start of SBS will have a nuber of events.
    Mara will go from just pregnant to holding a baby, Her diese will be gone an event that one would ASSUME would be big enough to only be in a hard cover. Anakin will ALL of a sudden be able to sence vong, Tahari will not only appear form no where but now bear her vong knowledge.
    You see teh hard covers are NOT the only places major events take place.
    Now also remeber we don't KNOW how dark jaina will be at teh end of SBS, he could die at the end of the book she could fry vong and run, still in shock of doing it, she could also end vader by the end we just don't know. HOWEVER i DJ is NOT a short book and it would be a shame to take up that entire book and have no real change in her by teh end, it would be a waste of paper. (once dark it is only a short way to go darker). SO i'm betting DJ will be more like teh "Agents of chaos" for jaina.

NOW as for anakin he's probably gone for good but he may still make Obi wan Cameo's. it seems to me he'd be a pretty lousy brother not to come back for jaina at her deepest hour of need as a ghost. Obi wan did it for a far less important reason, and did it several times does anyone here doubt that anakin would NOT be powerful enough to do it for his own sister?
  2. JediStryker Jedi Master

star 4
    SCI_FI: Totally respectfully, man; what was your point?

Jimmy dies. He may come back, but I personally think that would be cheap. Let him die in the heroic way that he does; let his death be the focal point around which the NJO truly comes together; and let him go down in history as a true hero who died for what he believed in.
  3. SCI_FI_NUT Jedi Knight

star 1
    actualy i'm responding to this claim the major events only occur in hard covers. as i said it just isn't true.

BTW while leaving him dead and gone is probably the best, i still think he'll appear to jaina (and only to Jaina) at teh end of DJ to A) say good bye something he wasn't able to do B) forgive her for what she did(I'm assumeing by this point she's done something truely horrible more than likely to the vong) And redeem her to the light side. He won't be back for more than a page, just enough to give her a little push at a critical time to keep her from going Papintine dark. And then he'd be gone for good. After all look at Vader, he died but came back for only a brief one page good bye to leia. He didn't stay, didn't change the over all war situation, just a chance to say he was sorry and good bye.
  4. JadedofMara Jedi Master

star 4
    Jimmy's dead. Hoping for him to stay alive is only going to make it worse when people read that he HAS DIED...i mean, everyone KNOWS that hes dead, but we have yet to read a peice of text that says "Jimmy's dead," or something. And I dont think Del Rey would be stupid enough to release something like THAT. Hes dead, people. Face up....he dies!
  5. Darth Tuna Jedi Master

star 2
    Having Anakin die does not make much sense. He can connect with the Vong and he is destined to be with Tahiri. These things point to him having a future as a living person. I'm going to hold back on committing myself to believing he dies. Otherwise, the character out of the Solo kids that is most well developed to this point has been rendered pointless.
  6. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    It's because he was developped that much that his death will be 'useful'. That'll help develop the other characters, in turn.
  7. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Jimmy will be cloned with a Spaarti cylinder on Myrkr and his clone will die not knowing that he wasn't the real Jimmy. The real Jimmy will be convinced he was the clone named Jiimmy, only to find out a few books later that he is in fact the real Jimmy. Problem solved.
  8. Big_Bro Jedi Knight

star 1
    WHO'S JIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY?????
  9. JediLurker Jedi Master

star 1
    Hmmm... as interesting as this all sounds, I thought that the "Jimmy" topics and posts were supposed to stop. We pretty much all know what could happen but until we all actually read the book, I doubt any speculation on our parts will make it clearer for the rest of us. In other words, reading the book itself seems like a good idea... now, if only I could get a hold of it and raid the bookstore... ummm, I mean, wait patiently until it comes out.

10. JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus

star 6
    JIMMY IS GONNA DIE!!!! Am I the only one completely thrilled by this? He was such an incompetant loser, and I feel it is a time of celebration! I am so excited! I have to have Star by Star NOW! Just to see him die. And I will read the section where he dies over and over again!

May the Force tbe with you!
  11. Muke_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Have you read a NJO book in your life? Do you know who Jimmy is? He's hardly an incompetent loser. He is in fact the last bastion of competence left in the GFFA.
  12. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
    My bets are on Jimmy chomping on that Big Tamale in the sky.
  13. Muke_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Admiral_Lelila Jedi Master

star 4
    I heard the audio exerpt, Jimmy is in great peril but he isn't dead. (yet) I can think of a number of scenios that can be played out so I'm reserving jumping to conclusions. I will mourn if he dies and I'll be overjoyed if he lives.
  15. jedijonny Jedi Padawan

SCI_FI:

The stance of Del Rey, when asked why only one hardback a year, was that main events would happen in the hardbacks, while the paperbacks would contain the details. Each thing you pointed out is a big deal to most people in here, but it is not critical to the New Jedi Order series or important to casual fans who may only read the hardbacks. Mara was sick in VP, the disease in remission in BP, now she's fully healed in SbS. Wanna know how? Read the paperbacks... Wanna know how Anakin acquired the lambent so he can sense the Vong presence? Read the paperbacks. Wanna know how down Han was after losing Chewie? Read the paperbacks. You get the idea...

"But what about the birth of Ben??? Isn't that a major event?" You may ask. Yes it is, but it is not crucial to the story arc of the New Jedi Order, which is moving in REAL TIME!! A two-year old will not save the universe from the Vong, not even if George Lucas wrote the book himself!!! (and he is probably the only person in the world who would consider doing something like that -- if a 10-year old brought down the TF...)
  16. jedijonny Jedi Padawan

SCI_FI:

If you don't believe me, post a message to RASalvatore, Shmi52 (Kathy Tyers), ElaineCunningham, or MikeStackpole. They should be able to tell you fairly quickly and easily...

I'm sure that they could tell you the position of Del Rey on the hardcovers, and maybe you'd believe them. I mean, they just WRITE the dang stuff!!!
  17. Rdog22 Jedi Knight

Can someone please tell me what an "aura" is? And also what does Ani mean by his cells burning and busting? What makes them do this?
  18. Darth_Teratogenic Jedi Padawan

"Can someone please tell me what an "aura" is? And also what does Ani mean by his cells burning and busting? What makes them do this?"

1 : au·ra (ôr)
    n. pl. au·ras or au·rae (ôr)
    An invisible breath, emanation, or radiation.
    A distinctive but intangible quality that seems to surround a person or thing; atmosphere: An aura of defeat pervaded the candidate's headquarters.
    Pathology. A sensation, as of a cold breeze or a bright light, that precedes the onset of certain disorders, such as an epileptic seizure or an attack of migraine.

It could also be a misspelled reference to Aurra Sing.

2 : From what I got from the spoilers, Anakin's cells are exploding from the amount of force power he is using and also perhaps because of the massive amount of poison the Vong weapons have injected him with.

No for my purely speculation, 100% zero proof theory. The New Jedi order will finally complete the many parallels between the original Anakin and Anakin solo. My theory? As Anakin Skywalker was born through Immaculate Conception by the force, Anakin Solo will be miraculously resurrected by force. After all this time with the cold hard facts of the NJO I think a sudden return to the original mythological background of Starwars, even if only for that moment when the universe blinks, would be a welcome reprieve.
  19. Tahiri Jedi Master

star 4
    Darth_Teratogenic -- I would really love for Anakin to be resurrected by the Force... if they kill him, there are so many loose ends, like his relationship with Tahiri, Ikrit's prophecy, and probably a few other things I can't remember. It just doesn't fit completely.
  20. AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Master

star 4
    remember in conquest, ani see's tahiri as a vong warrior? maybe he saw himself. perhaps the vong got him and start manipulating his body and stuff. do the vong give out one free sex-change with every 12 implants/scars/tatoos?
  21. JWK Jedi Master

star 4
    From the clip it definatly sounds as if Jimmy's going to bite the dust, however it does not specifically say he's dead.

I'd like to give an example now. In the 4th season finale to the x-files was previewed as saying either Scully or Mulder was going to die. At the end Scully says Mulder died of a 'self inflicted gun shoot wound to the head'. However in Redux I, the 5th season opener, we find out Scully lied to buy Mulder time and the body was a man spying on Mulder who Mulder shot in the head.

So this could be a preview to make us think Jimmy's dead and he really won't, could be the Vong capture him and use him as a prisioner to capure more Jedi or for later sacrifice. Or he's really just gonna get killed.

My vote goes for he's just gonna die. However I leave open the possiblity that he will live.
  22. Tahiri Jedi Master

star 4
    I still think there is a MAJOR loose end in his death! Ikrit's prophecy! The authors aren't idiots--Keyes KNEW Anakin would be killed in SbS as he was writing--so WHY include the prophecy? They could have endeared Anakin to us as a character WITHOUT the prophecy, and to include it and then kill him is just out of context... Anakin'll die, but I'm pretty sure he's not gone for good.
  23. JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus

star 6
    Okay, maybe Jimmy isn't incompetant, but he is still a loser, and I AM STILL GLAD HE HIS DYING!!!!! I am so going to celebrate his death!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.