main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"A certain point of view"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Sarg_Kulo, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Obi Wan tells Luke that Darth Vader was a pupil of his until he turned to evil.
    So does this mean that Darth Vader was once Ben's pupil, Anakin was darth vader while he was still under the guidence of Kenobi?

Now onto my main point, Obi Wan clearly tells Luke that Darth Vader was his pupil, basically calling "the good man" evil.
    Later in ROTJ he tells us that when he turned to the darkside he ceased to be Anakin Skywalker, so only when he fell to the Dark Side was he Darth Vader, proving against my first point.
    He then tells Luke the line "So I told you the truth, from a certain pint of view", however he is using more then one point of view.

1) Darth Vader was never Kenobi's pupil
    2) Only when Anakin turned to the Dark Side was he Darth Vader

Thoughts?

2. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Well, I suppose it would be hard to get across to Luke how Vader and Obi-Wan knew each other otherwise...

However, I thought about it like this: Kenobi had trained both Vader and Anakin (separate people) together, and Vader was eventually lost to the Dark Side and murdered his co-apprentice Anakin.

Now, we later see it from the perspective of, "when Anakin is killed, Vader is born", but that doesn't work to explain it to Luke initially, and it doesn't have to be that way. In fact, given how angry and sad Anakin appears to have been as an aprentice (at least at certain times), it might be an good way to envision it-- Anakin and Vader as separate but co-existing, and one of them is stronger at points while the other is weaker.

3. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    "A young Jedi named Darth Vader ... who was a pupil of mine BEFORE he turned to evil ..."

There's nothing technically wrong with what Obi-Wan says here. Although Darth Vader is technically a Sith, there's no need to complicate things for Luke - Sith are basically Dark Jedi, so they are still Jedi. Darth Vader was a pupil of Obi-Wan's, years before he turned to evil. How else would Obi-Wan have phrased it? "A young Jedi named Anakin Skywalker" is certainly out of the question. It'd have to be (Obi-Wan) "A young Sith Lord named Darth Vader ...", (Luke) "A what?", (Obi-Wan) "A Sith Lord ... a Dark Jedi Knight". The way you describe a Sith in simple terms is as a Dark Side-using Jedi ... so Darth Vader was once a young Dark Jedi ... a young Jedi.

4. Sarg_Kulo

May 18, 2004
    Is there not been a confirmation that, oh crap I don't know if I can put it.

5. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Obi-wan didn't have the time to go in to all the details about Anakin become Darth Vader. He just told like the fast way with out having a million question. Also he couldn't see Anakin become Darth Vader cause then he would know Anakin, his father was Darth Vader.
    I am sure Luke knew his father's name was Anakin Skywalker.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Is there not been a confirmation that, oh crap I don't know if I can put it.

If we're talking ROTS spoilers, definitely not.

7. Sarg_Kulo

May 18, 2004
    Well then if you know what I'm talking about ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.