main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Chance Encounter(Luke)-Wordy Fic challenge Week 2-Author responses 08/25/06!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: A Chance Encounter
    Author: brodiew
    Timeframe: After Vison of the Future
    Characters: Luke Skylwalker, OC
    Genre: challenge
    Summary: Luke has a chance encounter in the lover levels of Coruscant.
    Author note: This a Wordy Fic Challenge response. It was in deed a challenge...and a fun one. thanks to Alley_Skywalker for coming up with this clever, original idea. See that challenge here.

Luke Skywalker never thought of himself as bourgeois. If anyone, it was Leia. How could he? He was born into poverty on a desert planet in the outer rim. But, a random encounter with a benign bard in Coruscant?s lower levels made him question his attitude toward society?s lower class.

He had been in the lower levels seeking a contact for an upcoming meeting. As he strode along the promenade, lost in thought, Luke noticed a rather excitable older gentleman singing and dancing in an alley, off the main walkway. He had a small stringed instrument in his arms.

Oh, Palyp?s army of clones
    Fought its enemies hard and fast,
    But nothing could stand
    Against Dooku?s hand
    But group of Jedi drones.

Anakin Led them, and Obi-Wan too,
    From Kamino to the outer rim
    Then they came home
    The senate no longer shone
    Much work there was still to do

The war was long and bloody
    But Palpy?s army won,
    At Vader?s rise,
    The Jedi died,
    And an Emperor took the throne.

Luke stopped and walked over to the man, who had laid a small hat on an uneven wooden structure that acted as a buttress to the alleyway. The hat was to catch credits from passers by. Seeing Luke?s robes and hood, the man?s eyes grew wide and a nervous smile crossed his lips. Luke pulled back his hood, revealing his well known blonde hair and blue eyes. At this, the man added a slack jaw to his already wide eyes.

?Hello Master Jedi,? said the old man, his voice shaking. He took a dirty rag from his pocket and wiped his bald pate. Luke noticed discolored blemishes on the man?s scalp. ?Care to give an old vet a few credits? Do ye like my act??

Luke stood silently observing the man as a curiosity.

?It is an interesting song you sing, sir,? Luke said.

?I?m no ?sir?, Master Jedi. I was an enlisted man.?

?In what army?? Luke asked.

?What army?? The man said, belligerently. ?The Grand Army of the Republic!?

?Ah,? Luke said, soothing the old soldier through the Force. ?That army. I must confess. I don?t know much of that period.?

?That is a pity, Master Jedi. It was amazingly romantic and tragic all at the same time.?

?Please continue your song,? Luke prodded. ?I?d be happy to buy you a meal and leave you with a few credits as well.?

At first, the man balked. Luke could feel his nervousness about continuing.

?Master Jedi, I?ve been bilked by many a man who has come my way. They make grand offers and then leave me holding nothing but poo doo. Beggin? your pardon, but I?ll pass on your benevolent offer.?

?You recognize me, don?t you?? Luke offered. ?Do you think I would do that to you??

The man?s eyes were on the ground as he shuffled his feet, thinking of an answer. A moment later, he looked Luke in the eyes.

?Those bourgeois boot lickers are the bane of my existence, but no, Master Jedi, I don?t believe you would.?

?Let?s quit the ?Master Jedi?, friend. Call me Luke. And, don?t worry about finishing the song. I heard enough.?

The old soldier looked at Luke sadly.

?You?re his son, aren?t you?? he asked, already knowing the answer.

?Yes.?

?He bequeathed you quite a legacy,? the old man said smiling.

?That he did,? Luke replied.

?I knew him before, you know,? the veteran said, looking, again, into Luke?s eyes.

It was Luke?s eyes that went wide this time.

?Really??

?Yes, sir! And, I?ll tell you all about him over lunch.?

?I?d like that?what is your name?? Luke asked.

?Dervin Ludel, at you service, Luke.?

Luke thought it quite a boon to meet such a man.

2. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Interesting. I assume all of those 'B' words are part of the challenge? [face_thinking]

I hope to see more of this soon if it's possible. :) It would make a cool short story.

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Interesting start! =D=

I like how you've literally taken your characters to the bottom of society here. The bard of the underworld is a fascinating character. After all the destruction of the records (starting with the temple archives), I'd think that only the oral histories would survive.

I hope we get to see more of this conversation! Please? [face_dancing]

4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, I like this very much! :D Great beginning, I'm hoping for more! [face_praying]

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderfully done! =D= That was quite a challenge, but you handled it masterfully! :)

6. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Love it! I DO hope you continue the story now that you have us all under your spell! Very intruguing premise.

Well done! =D=

7. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Oh, Palyp?s army of clones
    Fought its enemies hard and fast,
    But nothing could stand
    Against Dooku?s hand
    But group of Jedi drones.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] Loved that!

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. Look for, at least, one more post!

rebel_cheese: thanks, rebelcheese. You are right about all the ?B? words. They are part of the challenge. I think I will continue this, if for only one more post. Thanks for the encouragement.

divapilot: Hi divapilot. You insight into oral histories is an interesting one. Thanks for reading. There is a second vote to continue.

ginchy: thanks, ginchy. Vote#3 for continuation!

VaderLVR64: thank you, Vader. Much appreciated.

Jade_Pilot: you got, it Jade! 4 votes out of six wins! Thanks for reading. More to come?

Alley_Skywalker: Thanks, Alley, for mentioning the song. I had fun writing it. there may be more?

9. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    ?Those bourgeois boot lickers are the bane of my existence, but no, Master Jedi, I don?t believe you would.?

[face_laugh] Quite a colorful phrase! Your OC's got a lot of pluck. Great response! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.