main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A Chance to bring Leia into a bigger role next film.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Indyrams, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Indyrams

Indyrams Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2014
    Carrie Fisher in general is amazing. But her portrayal of Leia in the films was always a standout excellence for me.
    She was really good in this one too!
    An older Leia that looks like the years of distraught and fighting for the good have worn on her, but she continues to not give up.

While I don't see her as having main character screen time, I'd love for her role to be significantly larger in the next film. Seeing us her love Han died and at the hands of their son, she has a powerful Jedi Brother, and he ha some powers like him too. I don't expect her to just sit at her base and do nothing in the next movie.

I hope maybe she will wield a light saber, many be for a moment or two.

Even if she can't do the physical stunts, I'd love to see a great send off for her character in the next films, whether she died or lives.

2. Phasma's Armor Polish

Phasma's Armor Polish Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    I'd like to see her try to communicate with Kylo via the force, ala Vader and Luke at the end of TESB, she could see visions of what Kylo has experienced including the death of Han again.

3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    This thread will likely be labeled as redundant, as there are already two Carrie Fisher threads, but I agree.

And, according to Variety, she does have a larger role in the next two films. Both her and Mark are on an increasing payscale as their roles are due to grow with each new film.

MattOrgana likes this.
  4. DML3

DML3 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Id rather not for the simple fact she (Carrie Fisher) looks out of her element right now. Her speech seemed slurred and didnt even sound like the Carrie Fisher we knew when she was in the original trilogy. I was really hoping that starbase actually blew up the restiance and they would completely start over and reboot this franchise. Leaving Luke as all that is left (Lando too)

Darth Rhapsodyne likes this.
  5. ElizaD

ElizaD Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 25, 2015
    WIthout Han, I just wanna see Luke and Leia in few scenes.

6. jetsdude8

jetsdude8 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    are you kidding me? She's awful! She nearly wrecked the movie single-handedly. She shouldn't have been brought back at all.

7. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    :rolleyes:

EHT

8. hawker76

hawker76 Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    It's a no-win situation for the director/producers. You can't really have a continuation of the OT without including Leia, even though Carrie Fisher looks half-dead.

9. hckymdgt

hckymdgt Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2014
    I got the impression that they want to make her more into a military leader or military hawk than I expected. In EU she was this great diplomat, but I see Aftermath positioned Mon Mothma as a kind of pacifist, anti-military type (broad strokes). Thus I could see Leia being the one who keeps saying things like "don't downsize the military, that will signal to the imperial remnants that we are weak and vulnerable!" And being ignored, which is why she's apparently leading a military resistance that seems supported under the table by the republic, as opposed to helping govern a republic that has a legitimate military response to the First Order.

This militaristic/hawkish side actually, now that I think about it, seems to align with Leias movie character. She definitely shot first and knew the value of the military. Yes, she was a young senator (like her mother) and came from a peaceful planet with no weapons, but she clearly wasn't a pacifist herself. Seeing the rumors that she was expected to actually be commanding a fleet with its own superweapon and crushing imperials, if actually really enjoy seeing her go total badass like that. It would be an interesting evolution of her character and make get into something different from a clone of padme (who was clearly capable with a blaster but in TCW and movies is clearly a diplomat first, not a military leader or advocate). Padme, I'm fact, was the leading opponent to creating a military, a position Mon Mothma and Bail Organa spurred her in, and apparently carried forward post ROTJ while Leia may have disapproved.
    Finally, a general doesn't really have to do stunts. Let's give her a sweet flagship and cool flag captain and let her run a space battle next time around.

10. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I think this is a bit of a conundrum for the producers/directors. I love Carrie, but she just isn't the same as an actress today, even though her role can and should expand in the next two films.

Heck, she will probably be the de facto leader of the entire freedom movement in the galaxy, after the Resistance wiped out most of the New Republic in TFA.

Not to mention her relationship with Kylo.

11. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    I.. hate to say it, but I thought Carrie Fisher was at best OK in this film. Physically she barely resembles her old self, and the voice sounded like a chain smoker, I had such a hard time reconciling the two characters that it broke the immersion. I may completely be alone in this, but I'm fine if they keep her role as is, and I would be very surprised if she survives the trilogy.

12. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I hope this light stays on. I can see Disney execs sidelining an actress they do not feel will rake in dough. If I were wrong, and if Carrie Fisher was given substantial mass in the script, there can be reveals of greater total maximum power (think Watts) than reveals with Rey Skywalker, which have great power. Keep the light on. Nothing is refuted.

13. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Age, her son defecting to the dark side and her daughter killed, you would look awful too! Her role in the next movie will be to explain "the event" that caused Han to leave and Ben to turn and also tell us that her daughter twin of Ben was presumed killed

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

It's funny, it's a pretty much forgone conclusion that the force sensitivity isn't just genetic with Leia; but that at this point she actually can harness it and use it at will. There wasn't really any indication in TFA that she had these powers (besides the moment when Han was put down). Aside from the non-canon "Force Unleashed" video game, Leia has never been shown wielding a lightsaber.

15. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Its going to be fun when she turns to the Dark Side of the Force to be with her son in 8. Fandom is going to go up in a ball of flame lol. Make no mistake, that will likely be the big reveal.

16. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Yeah, um i'd be careful about saying things like 'round here.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/rules-of-the-jedi-council-forums.27141421/
    Carrie is returning for EP 8 correct? i do so love her. I wish someone would gather every interview she's ever had [face_laugh] i'd just die of laughter.

jaqen and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  17. hawker76

hawker76 Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    Did I say something wrong?

Just commenting how they pretty much need to have Leia, but Carrie isn't looking the greatest these days. If they don't have Leia, people complain. If they do, Carrie has to be in the movie, and people comment on how rough she looks. No-win.

18. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    Im not a mod but ive seen them give out warnings for people commenting on Carries appearance or her prior drug use in a negative way. Well that goes for anyone but i figured i'd say something.[face_dunno]Technically i think we are supposed to contact a mod if we think a rule is being broken but i wasnt sure eugh... Maybe one will correct me or something! LOL

jaqen likes this.
  19. hawker76

hawker76 Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the heads up!

20. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    Yeah, i apologize in advance if im wrong or something [face_blush]. I just didnt want you to make a mistake and get in trouble.
    Anyway, is Leia ever called Princess in this movie? all i remember is Tekka referring to her as "royalty"

21. hawker76

hawker76 Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    I don't think so. Other than Tekka, everyone else seemed to be calling her General.

I think her "Princess" days are long over.

22. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Threepio calls her Princess. And she's also referred as Princess Leia in the closing credits.

liquidocelot likes this.
  23. MJ-100

MJ-100 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    I think what happened to Han's will definitely have big impact on her story. She will face Ben imo and it could be epic since they're both force sensitive, that he killed han and that she's his mother.So much tension, pain and emotions.

jaqen and MattOrgana like this.
  24. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    Its weird i thought Han called her "Princess" once. Maybe im hallucinating, hopefully she has a more "authority" type personally in 8 or 9 in this she feels like a wise old woman than an army-type General imo.

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Carrie was fine. Her voice was a bit rough, but she was fine.

JediRocks74 likes this.