main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A Chance to bring Leia into a bigger role next film.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Indyrams, Dec 23, 2015.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'm not sure she's up to the task tbh.

2. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    If they explain Hosnian Prime and the NR, she kinda GAS to be a big part of the movie, and as a huge fan of politics (particularly the prequel politics), I would love it.

Bail B. Baobab and jaqen like this.
  3. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    IMDB shows Carrie Fisher has had acting credits every year since ROTJ except for '93, 94, 96 and '13.

Carrie Fisher's ironic sarcastic cynicism, and gusto to point and shout the emperor's nakedness, is profoundly missing, imo, from this whole rapture of late. She added a cerebral, principled grit to the OT in complement to Ford's wizened, practical grit.

Bail B. Baobab, jaqen and MattOrgana like this.
  4. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    It speaks to the inherent sexism in Hollywood when seeing a natural woman over 50 is so shocking to spark comments that she looks half dead. No, she looks like a woman of her age who hasn't been Botoxed, derma filled, nipped and tucked to look half her age.

Not a single comment about Harrison Ford's age, his old man posture, or old man hair. Why? We're used to seeing swashbuckling old men paired with women less than half their age. It's been normalized to the point we don't notice it.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Welcome to your new home!

6. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    You know, I was worried that Carrie Fisher wouldn't give a good performance, because I hadn't seen her in anything for years and I guess, also, the masses of people ready to tear her down as a past it, half-dead embarrassment affected me on some level.

But you know what, I was honestly impressed by her. I really bought her as a worn-down older version of herself. There was something wonderfully low-key about her performance. She seemed tired, but determined. Sad but...determined. I think she looks great. She looks thirty years older. She looks like she's lived, as she should.

7. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Would rather have the OT characters be supporting roles. Focus on the Rey, Finn, and Kylo. The Big Three had their time.

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I suspect you and me might have seen different cuts of TFA if you walked away thinking Leia's story ac is "pretty much complete".

From what I can tell they just ensured she has more reason to be in the next films, which lines up perfectly with the Sony leaked emails and the article in Variety.

Thank you for noticing that Carrie Fisher hasn't been unemployed for the last 30 some odd years, which is a common narrative on this board.

MattOrgana likes this.
  9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think by making Leia the leader they've ensured she doesn't have to be a major part of the action throughout the films. That's a concsious decision on the part of the writers.

The action and focus of the story can be on the new characters with Luke and chewie.

If she has any kind of Jedi training action or running around shooting blasters then I will gladly eat humble pie. I just don't see it and certainly nowhere the screen time to compare with her in the OT. The only focus I story wise I can see is something involving kylo.

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    If they can give Han such a huge role in TFA. And they (presumably) will be giving Luke a much larger role in Episode VIII, then I'm not buying that they cannot find something for Leia to do. Especially not after what happened in TFA.

GeneralOrgana and MattOrgana like this.
  11. interxavier01

interxavier01 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I see Carrie Fisher as Leia mirroring Judi Dench as M. Not really much screen time, but more of a background character. She's an important character, yes, but not important enough to have more screen time. The thing is that I just don't see any of the films delving deeper into politics, which are the things Leia is supposed to be big on. Most of the good stories involving Leia are in the books, not movies.

12. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    I think it'd be fair to say that Luke, Leia and Chewie will all be co-stars going forward for VIII and IX. Artoo, Threepio and Lando will be supporting roles.

Just my take on it, anyway.

13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

Won't happen; Fisher's too unreliable/weird. She'll have a small cameo part similar to in TFA.

14. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    Didn't realize you knew her personally. Tell her I said hello!

DaddlerTheDalek, jaqen and MattOrgana like this.
  15. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015

She's also an Emmy-nominated actress, screenwriter, had her own show on Broadway and is getting a lot of positive reviews for her roles in TFA and in British tv series.

DaddlerTheDalek and jaqen like this.
  16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I loved Judi Dench as M. Her screen time actually more than doubled for Skyfall, where she ended up being the main Bond "girl", for all intents and purposes.

Leia also wasn't a political figure in TFA, she was a military one. And since the military is playing a heavy role in this trilogy....

17. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    Han = mentor in episode VII, introduces the new cast to the galaxy. Leia was in the background and Luke was well the mcugffin of the film
    Luke = mentor in VIII, probably exclusively with Rey dealing with the force. Likely to to do a sacrificial death or be separated from Rey in the third act. Leia might see more screen time but won't be as big as Luke,
    Leia = mentor in IX, will rally our defeated heroes, I also expected her to help Rey forgive Luke because I expected a conflict between them to form in some way near the end of the film. Luke will either be a ghost a far in the background.

18. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I'm just saying that I for one don't need more screentime about/for Leia. I thoroughly enjoyed Ford's performance and I can say the same thing for those last seconds with Hamill. On the other hand, I was not convinced by Carrie Fisher. It's not that the character is irrelevant, it's the actress herself. I look at Hamill and I see Luke. Daisy Ridley was also very convincing. But I look at Fisher and it reminds me those weird interviews and comments; and that gets me distracted from the plot. I can't help it. I'm pretty sure that she'll be back for the next 2 episodes but it's not something I'm looking for.

However I was mistaken about her story arc. It may become an important one but, again, I was not impressed by Fisher's performance.

19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I'm glad you added the last sentence. Your personal take on Fisher's performance isn't remotely relevant to whether Leia has more story or not.

MattOrgana likes this.
  20. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Daisy Ridley is also looking a little long in the tooth for my personal taste, at least by the third film. Hopefully, they can get someone younger by then. Just my personal preference.

Too bad Max Von Sydow was killed off, he would be great doing action scenes! Or maybe Sean Connery! I'm also really excited to see what Tom Cruise does for the action genre... He's only a little over fifty, and finds the best leading lady co stars!!! Here's to forty more years of him bringing it! (It's exciting to think some of his female costars haven't even been born yet.)

Sarcasm aside, fingers crossed that Fisher has an even more pivotal role... She'll always be my hero.

GeneralOrgana, MattOrgana and jaqen like this.
  21. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    It is not relevant and "Episode VIII" will hopefully be as awesome as TFA.
    I really had a blast last week!

jaqen likes this.
  22. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    She could totally shoot force lightning... can't you guys see that? Or just some force throwing, choking etc.

GeneralOrgana likes this.