main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Chance to Change (Drama) (AU) Clean Up version in the works

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Palpy560, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    Title: A Chance To Change
    Author: Palpy560
    Era/Time: AOTC/CloneWars
    Characters: Palpatine, Soltam Atmosck (New Character), Sly Moore, Anakin Skywalker, Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus Viceroy Gunray, Padme Amidala, Senator Bail Organa.
    Genre: Drama (AU)
    Summary:Palpatine was given the chance to become a good person and turn away from the evil in his black heart. This tale tells what happend and what he chose to do.
    Notes: This story is written in a script format during character dialogue. I find this is a time-saver and more fun to write. If this format is difficult to read, I am sorry, but I hope that all of you will be able to enjoy it.
    Credits: I would like to thank all those over at the Fan-Fic Resource boards for their help and thoughts on the subject.

Part 1: The Mysterious Soltam Atmosck
    Palpatine sat alone in his office. He looked out his large viewpoint window at the busy Coruscant traffic. How amusing that soon all of those beings would be in the grip of fear once the war accelerated to its full fury. Ah, Yes, soon, very soon the Republic would be crushed under its own fear and love of conflict. Wait, strange, no beings visited him at this time of night. He turned as the turbo-lift door opend. Out stepped a small creature that Palpatine had never seen before. He wore a long blue cape and carried only a small sceptre in his hands. Upon his head, a small cap covered the slightest hint of white hair.
    Soltam Atmosck: Chancellor Palpatine?
    Palpatine: Who are you?
    Soltam: You don't know me?
    Palpatine: No, you aren't on my schedule. However, I think I should know anyone who visits me at such a late hour.
    Soltam: Chancellor, you don't have to hide from me. I know who you really are, what you really feel toward so many people in the galaxy.
    Palpatine: I am afraid I have no idea what you mean sir, but I am afraid if you do not leave, I will have to call senate security at once.
    Soltam: Come now, Sidious, no need to hide. No need to disguise your anger beneath a thick cloud of darkness.
    Palpatine: very well then. What is it you want?
    Soltam: I want to show you the pain you have caused. I want to show you what evil can do to good people. But most of all, I want to show you what the darkness has done to yourself.
    Palpatine: I have no interest in mystical images of the past.
    Soltam: I will do no such thing. You need only take a closer look at yourself and those around you. How long has it been since you cared for someone Chancellor?
    Palpatine: Not so long as you might think.
    Soltam: You see, there is some good in you. And togeather, we can help it grow.
    Palpatine: Fool, I have no use for memories and pointless emotions. The only emotion I need is my own disdain and anger for fools such as you.
    Palpatine called on the Dark Side and spawned pure hatred for the creature in the form of blue lightning. The lightning had no effect on Soltam that was of notice. Soltam: Are you quite finished?
    Palpatine: What are you?
    Soltam: That may be revealed in time. Come, my friend, we will observe those around you and you will see what your evil has done to them.
    End of Part 1

2. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Yay! We get another one! Interesting start, I wonder if Soltam will be able to show Palpy the error of his ways? [face_thinking]

And Force Lightening doesn't work on him, Palpatine will have his hands full with this 'opponent' :D

3. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    Truthfully, I have not yet discovered exactly who or what Soltam is. This one has peaked my curiousity as well.
    LOL, but then I have brought up this subject many times on other boards.
    As to Palpy seeing the wrongs of his evil. Well given that he is evil at the end of his life, I don't know. I may just throw a twist or two in there.

4. Hyperion51

Hyperion51 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 11, 2005
    Palpatine turning good? This could be interesting.

Perhaps setting him up on a date with a woman might help. How about a pairing with Jedi Master Jocasta Nu later on. She would probably be perfect for him.

5. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Ooo.. most interesting. [face_thinking] Few have tried to show good within Palpatine. I am sure that this will be a most fasinating fic. :D

I look forward to more! :D

Ani-maniac

6. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Now we're writing on the same topic!

My first thought on this was Dicken's "A Christmas Carol."

Keep going ...

*waits*

7. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    Ah, you know I realized it after I was done that this could go in that direction, do you think I should go the "Christmas Carol" route?
    Not that he would be visited by 3 ghosts, but perhaps I could make them invisable to those they observe.
    Come to think of it, how else could this work? [face_batting]
    expect an update soon. [face_peace]

8. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    Part 2: Greed
    Soltam took Palpatine through a strange bubble of space time. At least it seemed like space time but Palpatine wasn't sure. They arrived at the Senate and Palpatine gave him a puzzled glance. Palpatine: Why are we here?
    Soltam: Here evil presents itself as greed. It is the evil you brought here.
    Palpatine: (laugh) I simply took advantage of the Corruption and bureaucracy that was festering during the reign of Valorum.
    Soltam: Would you agree that it has become progressively worse thanks to you?
    Palpatine: Of course, greed can be a powerful ally.
    Soltam: Oh Chancellor please. Can?t you think of anyone but yourself?
    Palpatine: I can. I am a human being. I have my own desires, dreams and hopes for the future.
    Soltam: What are they? Have you fulfilled any of them in your time?
    Palpatine: Enough questions!
    Soltam: Very well, come with me.
    They stepped into the vast senate chamber. It was busy with senators who talked and bickered with each other about such things as trade and taxes. Which most ordinary beings would find flat and boring.
    Palpatine: Why are they in session now? It is one standard hour past sunset.
    Soltam: Chancellor, time has no meaning during my visit to you.
    Palpatine: I requested no visions of the past.
    Soltam: This is not a vision Palpatine. This is your conscience.
    Palpatine: I have no such thing.
    Soltam: You?re only human.
    Soltam took Palpatine to a pod filled with Trade Federation representatives from Cato Nemoidia.
    Nemoidian Senator #1: I hear the Chancellor will expand the trade routes.
    Nemoidian Senator #2: But the Viceroy has joined the separatist cause. How might that benefit us when the war breaks out? We will be thrown from here. Driven out by the other systems.
    Nemoidian Senator #1: Not likely, whenever profit can be made, others swarm to trade with us. And with expanded territory we will add more credits to our own accounts.
    Soltam: Do you see? They only care about profit.
    Palpatine: They are businessmen. That is there purpose.
    Soltam: Some would disagree with the nature of business.
    They stepped into another pod.
    Senator #1: If you can get me another term here, I will make it worth your while Mapoel.
    Mapoel: We?ll talk about that after you give me the holo-recordings you claim to possess regarding my other bank transactions. (Laugh)
    Soltam: They nearly salivate at the dealings they speak of.
    Palpatine: Politicians everyone here is like them.
    Soltam: Not everyone.
    Soltam gestured to the senatorial pod for Naboo.
    Palpatine: Ah, of course.
    Padme: I don?t understand Palpatine?s logic. Why would he expand trade at a time of war? It only increases the thirst of greed among other politicians and businessmen. Palpatine used to be against such things. I am beginning to lose faith in him.
    Soltam: You see it. How your selfish decisions to ferment greed have turned your allies away. Your true friends are losing trust in you.
    Palpatine: She is easily manipulated. Her trust will be restored soon.
    Soltam: Manipulation is another tool you enjoy using.
    Palpatine: It can award many pleasures.
    Soltam: It can hurt helpless creatures. Come; let us look at those you have manipulated in your quest for power.
    End of Part 2

9. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    His conscious [face_thinking] Soltam may just get Palpatine thinking. Looking forward to more!

10. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Interesting. I like the fact that with this approach, we don't have to wade through countless manipulations and smoke screens to see inside Palpatine's head. Here he gets to talk plain Basic.

Post more!

11. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    Smaller update: [face_tired]
    Part 3: Manipulation
    Soltam and Palpatine arrive at the Jedi Temple.
    Palpatine: Why are we here? I hate them!
    Soltam: That much is quite clear to me. But not to them.
    Palpatine: So if they don't know they are being manipulated...?
    Soltam: Look, Chancellor.
    Palpatine eyed Anakin in one of the meeting rooms. He was alone and deep in thought. For an instant, Palpatine wanted to help him with whatever problem he had. But instead he turned to Soltam. Palpatine: He isn't even talking, how does this help your "grand scheme"?
    Soltam: Interesting you say it like that.
    Anakin: It's not fair. Obi-wan doesn't trust me. But Palpatine said I was the most powerful anyway. He's right. Obi-wan's just afraid of what I can do!
    Soltam: He thinks this because of you.
    Palpatine: Maybe it's true.
    Soltam waved a hand and the two had been moved to the council chamber.
    Yoda: Young Skywalker, how goes his training Obi-wan, hmmm?
    Obi-wan: I am concerned,Master, he seems so cut off from the rest of us. I have tried to show him how much I trust and look up to him but something is out of place.
    Palpatine:Fool.
    Soltam: Remember Palpatine, we are in your mind, so why have you allowed us to come here?
    Palpatine: It's a trick of yours.
    Soltam: (laugh) Come now lord sidious, I do not have that kind of power, to make people see and do what I wish. That seems to be your skill.
    Palpatine fell silent.
    Palpatine: I was never a part of this conversation, how could I know this?
    Soltam: You have thought about the Jedi and Anakin before, so I am free to take you here and show you whatever I wish.
    Palpatine: Fools, the Jedi will be punished soon for what they have done to the sith empire.
    Soltam: We'll see about that. Come my friend let us look at others you have manipulated in one form or another.
    Palpatine: I haven't thought of all of them.
    Soltam: No lies Lord Sidious, they don't work on me.
    Your own glee has allowed me many paths to take. So often you have thought of your triumphs and failures that there is much to see.
    ---------------------

12. Ani-maniac

Jul 5, 2005
    I say again, Ooooo...:D It seems that there is some very small, tiny, hard to see spark of light in Sidious... but it is there.

Wonderful job!

I look forward to the next part. :D

And thank you for the PM.

Ani-maniac

13. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    You know I love this kind of stuff.

Definitely interesting. I also find it very intriguing how the "laws" of this universe work -- what allows Soltam to take Palpatine somewhere and what disallows it. The other dude is right ... as if something of a guilty conscience resides somewhere??

Please continue!

:)

14. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    Palpatine and Soltam arrived at the Seperatist hideout on Geonosis. Palpatine looked toward Soltam and laughed.

Palpatine: Fool, hmm, if you're looking for a way to make me feel for others you picked the wrong place.
    Soltam: No, I assure you, this is the right place.
    Count Dooku: We must make certain that Senator Amidala is dead before the Viceroy learns of the failed attempt earlier.
    Jango: As you wish. But such a direct attack will be investigated surely by the Jedi.
    Count Dooku: Impossible, I have assurances that will not happen.
    Jango: Then I will return to Coruscant immediately and arrange another attack.
    Count Dooku nodded his head as the bounty hunter turned and left.
    Palpatine: I arranged this attempt. Why would this change me in the slightest? You really are a fool.
    Soltam: But look Chancellor, look at your new apprentice. Don?t you see what you have done to him? The evil within him is very strong. And it is all thanks to you. If not for you, Count Dooku would still be a Jedi Master and could help the Republic.
    Palpatine: All the better for me. With Count Dooku this war will engulf the entire galaxy and the senate will have no choice but to vote me more power.
    Soltam: But look at the tragic life Dooku leads now. All because you appealed to his political ideologies.
    Palpatine: None of that is my fault, it is his. We are nothing without free will.
    Soltam: Yes. Come Chancellor, we have another person to watch.
    Soltam waved a hand and they arrived on Nute Gunray?s cruiser. Palpatine suddenly understood what Soltam had done back in the room with Dooku. He had made him realize that it is free will that allows people to choose light and dark

15. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    it is free will that makes people choose light and dark...

=D= His eyes are starting to open, however unwillingly. I have a feeling about Soltam that I might PM to you and see if I'm right. [face_thinking]

Really enjoyed that section with watching Dooku and the thoughts of how dark he has become. Very thought provoking, Palpy!

I hope you will do more! :)

16. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    ^ Count on it. Maybe 2 more sections.
    That should do it I think.
    hmmm, I theory you have hmmm??? [face_thinking]
    [face_batting] PM me if You like and let's talk.

17. Ani-maniac

Jul 5, 2005
    :D :D :D

Indeed, light and dark are a choice.

I look forward to the next part.

Ani-maniac

18. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    Soltam: You see, there is some good in you.

Sounds familiar. Wonder how your version of Palpatine can be saved

19. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Hmm. Maybe some folks here are brighter than I am.

But I look forward to more. Keep writing!

20. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    Author Notes for Part 4: In order to get the most out of this update, I suggest, if you have not already, check out "The Fate Set in Stone" one-post fan fic on this board. You can acess the story via the link in my Bio. It may help you to understand my character references, quotes, realizations and thoughts during this part.
    Palpy560 [face_batting]

Part 4: Fear
    Palpatine realizes that he is on Gunray's ship above Geonosis. He is going to meet with Count Dooku in a few days time.

Palpatine: Ah, Viceroy Gunray's cruiser? Why are we here? Are we going to talk about manipulation some more Soltam?
    Soltam: No, fear.
    Palpatine: Yes, I have said that fear is a weapon. Fear allows manipulation to take place in a smooth fashion. So now that I have anticipated your goal here, let us go.
    Soltam: Ha ha ha, Lord Sidious, you cannot leave here without my help.
    Palpatine: But you said this is my mind, so I have control over such things.
    Soltam: No, Palpatine, thanks to your mind, I am allowed to visit these people and places. But that doesn't mean you have conrol over these visits. These visits are in real-time.
    Palpatine: So then, why the Viceroy?
    Soltam: Because fear does more than manipulate.
    Gunray: I do hope this Count Dooku has taken care of the Naboo Senator. I refuse to involve myself in a business deal with him unless he pays me first.
    Senator Lott Dod: I do hope that your price is not one he will be afraid to pay. One knows that Lord Sidious did not pay at all. Unless things begin to go our way, the Galaxy will shun as on both sides. Then we may have to find Lord Sidio-
    Gunray: NO, do not say that. I refuse to join Lord Sidious again in any venture. The court dealings and trials have been enough.
    Soltam: So they fear you.
    Palpatine: Yes, as should you.
    Soltam: Why would I fear you Lord Sidious? I am in charge of this little venture. Not you.
    Palpatine: Well, if I didn't want you here, I could do something about it.
    Soltam: True, very true. So why haven't you done something? Why am I still here and showing you such things. Unless you want me to be here.
    Palpatine: I have had my fill of these visits in my mind, just leave me alone.
    Soltam: Why, are you afraid of what you are feeling for those you have hurt in some way? Yes, you feel something you don't like.
    Palpatine: Stop! Stop!
    Palpatine shoots lightning at Soltam but as before there are no effects. In frustration, Sidious decides to try other powers on Soltam, throwing objects at the creature, pushing him, pulling him and chocking him. But no effect.

Stop! Leave me be!
    Soltam: NO! Not until you see what you have done!
    Palpatine: NO, what I have done I have done for the power. I did it for me, for the Sith, for the Dark Side and for.....
    Soltam: Yes?
    Palpatine: Never mind.
    Soltam: You were going to say something but you are afraid to finish it. That is the lesson Palpatine of Naboo, YOU are afraid of your feelings. It is your own fear that defeats you.
    Palpatine: Enough! I'm sick of your lessons---

Realization suddenly comes over Palpatine's face. He remembers when he was simply "Palpatine of Naboo." What he wanted out of life was to understand death. And the monsterous Plagueis had made him ill enough to join evil. The final word of the Sith Lord's existence was.....

Palpatine: YOU! Like Plagueis you have watched me as well!
    He knew you! What did he know about you! Who are you!? Answer me!!!!!
    Soltam: You know, but you are afraid to admit what you know.
    Palpatine: nnnooo! nooo! (Puts hands over his head and backs away)
    Soltam: Yesssss FEAR PALPATINE, FEARRRRRRR!!! That is the lesson.
    Palpatine: NOOO I DO NOT FEAR!
    Soltam: Your fate, set in stone.
    Palpatine: Nooo! Let me go! I hate you, I hate you!
    Soltam: SET IN STONE!!!!

End of Part 4

21. fistofthedarklord

fistofthedarklord Jedi Master star 3

Feb 12, 2005
    Hmmm. Interesting. Very interesting indeed.

22. Ani-maniac

Jul 5, 2005
    Emotional indeed! :D I agree, Palpatine does fear his feelings. Well, aside form anger rage, and so forth. ;)

Wonderful job!

I look forward to the next part!

Ani-maniac

23. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    I did it for me, for the Sith, for the Dark Side and for.....

The realization!

I think I want to know as much as Palpatine! Who is this Soltam and why did his former Master mention him before he died?

Very intriguing.

Set in Stone

What type of hold does he have over Palpatine? [face_thinking]

Looking forward to more!

24. Palpy560

Feb 11, 2005
    Author's Notes: This next update will probably be the hardest to write. I am going to reveal something about Palpatine that I HOPE you understand and enjoy. This may or may not fly with some of you. I am just warning you that this is going to paint Palpatine, Soltam and Sidious in different light and it will be shocking and probably a bit odd.
    T_S you will probably understand this because it falls along your theory a bit. NOT exact, but you were on the right track.

To everyone: Please try to enjoy this and if you don't like my twist, please be kind about it as I am sensative about this. I don't want to cross any lines about people's ideas of Palpatine, nor do I want to shove some idea down your throats. However, being the author, I am allowed to write this the way I see fit. So please be nice. If you hate it, there are other stories of mine that you might enjoy. [face_peace]
    The next update will be shown later today. I hope you like this and I hope I don't scare you away. [face_worried]

25. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Alright, you've got me all intrigued :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.