main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Change in Domestic Tranquility Owen and Beru decide to care for Luke (Vig)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Araxie, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    A Change in Domestic Tranquility Owen and Beru decide to care for Luke (Vig)

Owen stood looking at his wife, his mouth wide open in astonishment. Her eyes were flashing, her hands on her hips, and a most determined look on her face. Never in the entire time of being together had she been this resolute to get her way. Not that she was in anyway a push over, no not at all, he had seen her barter with the toughest vendors on Tatooine, and he had seen her stand up to bullies of all sorts. What had caused this change in his normally mild mannered sweet wife? It was all because of one name, Luke. One transmission and his domestic tranquility had changed on the spot.

?Owen the boy needs to be raised by family.? Obi-Wan had said emphatically.

Owen shook his head at the hologram image, ?No, if it wasn?t good enough for family to raise his father than why should it be good enough now.?

He heard Obi-Wan sigh. He had already explained the death of the baby?s mother, and the turning and death of his father, which had become Darth Vader. He had explained that the chancellor had turned the republic into a tyrannical empire, that all the Jedi where killed or scattered in hiding. He had told him that the baby boy needed a home, and place of refuge.

Owen wanted nothing to do with it, yet as soon as Beru heard the word ?baby? and the name ?Luke?, she had said a quiet ?Yes, I will take him?

Obi-Wan, recognizing the tension in the home, said ?I will transmit later. I?m on my way there now. If you change your mind let me know, otherwise I need help in finding someone that will love and care for this child.? Then the holoimage was gone.

Beru immediately started in, ?Owen, that boy needs us, and I need him.?

?No! I don?t want to hear anymore about it. His father should have stayed here, not run off on some idealistic crusade with the Jedi. He should have stayed with his mother, taken care of her, and helped her.? He was angry that he was asked to care for a boy that was bound to bring him trouble.

?I don?t care, he is family. I loved Shmi as much as my own mother, how could I turn away her grandson? How could you??

They had argued and fought for what seemed to be eons. He with his close minded, narrow vision of what was right for his family. She with all the love and compassion that was inbred in her had argued back. She had wanted a child for while and had been devastated by the inability to conceive. She wanted a baby, she didn?t care who, or what, that was all it was.

?Beru, don?t you know what this will mean if we take him in? Our life will never be that same. If the Emperor finds out that Vader?s son is alive, he will be after us before we know it. I can?t protect us from that.?

Now Beru was looking at his with her jaw strutting out, her eyes flashing, and he realized that he had lost. That she was right, that they needed the baby as much as the baby needed him. He wouldn?t allow Obi-Wan near them, he would be sure this boy would be grounded here on this planet, and make it home. He would keep the wander lust that was his father?s trait, and help him see that here is where he belonged, not hopping the stars on some grand adventure.

He nodded his head in agreement and she flew into his arms, sobbing tears of joy. She looked at him, ?We are going to be parents, I think we have a few things to do to prepare for his arrival don?t you??

He smiled, ?I know where I can borrow a cradle until I can build one. Get the droids to help you with some clothes."

He turned and looked at her again. ?I think we shall be sure that he knows he is a Skywalker, not a ?Lars?? he said quietly.

Beru started to debate, but he held up his hand ?Hear me out please? he whispered.
    I want the boy to have the last name of his Grandmother, he is her descendant, I think we owe it to our love for her that her name continues, don?t you??

With tears in her eyes, she nodded, in agreement at last she kissed him as he left the homestead in search for the few basic needs for this infant boy.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Awww, Beru needing Luke and Owen's flips in mood were so powerful.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I can see it going just this way! Nicely done! =D=

4. Count_B

Count_B Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2003
    It's not exactly how I see it happening, but this story is nice none the less. I'm glad you didn't portray Owen to be this kind of mean guy, which I've seen plenty of times in other fanfics.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD work [face_peace]

5. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I think you did a great job sweetie!

You are getting so brave! LOL, but then always you have followed me on adventures!

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, and just to prove this is cool, you are now on the "Quotes that just sound cool" thread.

7. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

I loved this, excellent work Araxie=D=, and think that they were so kind to let Luke keep the name of his granny, I never thought about that before. I always wondered why they kept the name Skywalker but I think that this actually could be a reason[face_thinking] .

8. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    So, so perfect!! This is just how I imagined the whole transition must have gone. This was truly powerful work, Araxie!

Oh, I just want to hug Beru and Owen... Maybe I'll settle for my monitor instead. ;)

9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Good Job, Araxie. this is an interesting idea for how Owen and Beru made the decision to take Luke. I thought you did a great arguing both sides. I found myself agreeing with both of them. :)

Owen's argument here stood out:

Owen shook his head at the hologram image, ?No, if it wasn?t good enough for family to raise his father than why should it be good enough now.?

Fair enough. If it takes a village with the Jedi orphanage, why is a family so important to Luke.

Beru's reponse could be something like: "For the very same reason the opposite failed his father.

Keep it up, Araxie and welcome to the boards.

10. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Thank you Ish not only for the praise, but for putting my a quote from my story on the cool quotes thread.

VaderLVR64- I'm glad I was able to bring out a good possibility that meets your approval.

Count B- Thank you also for the compliment. The beauty of fanfic is that you can write what you think and someone else may have another completely acceptable version of the events. It is all that wondering of backstories that makes it all so interesting. I have never seen Owen as a mean man, just highly overprotective.

Noelie- Isn't that a younger sisters proagative, to follow their sisters on adventures, after all we all can't be a Lucy, don't I wish!

Thank you Star angel, I always wondered about the fact that his name wasn't changed to theirs, so I'm glad that worked.

VA_Parky- I have wanted to hug Beru from the time if first saw her younger self in TAotC, and I liked how Owen at that point seems to be a very good natured young man.

brodiew, I always think the best "arguements" are the ones where either option would be acceptable, they can be the hardest to resolve it comes down to what will win, reason or emotion.

11. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Great viggie! I can just see Beru with her hands on her hips!

Nice work. =D=

12. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Just found this. I think it gives a very good reason why Luke ended up with the last name Skywalker instead of Lars

13. Daenarrah

Daenarrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2005
    This was a wonderful vignette. I can see things happening like this or in a similar fashion. I loved Beru's determination to take and raise Luke and Owen's own determination to decide Luke would be raised with his feet on the ground and not his head looking up to the stars.

Great job.

14. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Jade_Pilot, I don't know how I missed your comment, I'm so glad you read my little story. I try to put a bit of myself in each story. That makes it a bit more real to me.

Ocelotl_Nesto I'm glad you liked the reason for Luke having Skywalker for a surname.

Daenarrah- I tried to come up with how these two must have felt in taking on the son of a brother-in-law that had become a danger to the galaxy. It must have been a very daunting prospect.

15. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    I found this story by accident, but I'm glad I found it. This is very beautiful and touching, Araxie. It's fun to see the different takes on this situation from people. :)

16. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    He turned and looked at her again. ?I think we shall be sure that he knows he is a Skywalker, not a ?Lars?? he said quietly.

Beru started to debate, but he held up his hand ?Hear me out please? he whispered.
    I want the boy to have the last name of his Grandmother, he is her descendant, I think we owe it to our love for her that her name continues, don?t you??

This brought tears to my eyes.

Lovely job!

17. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Thanks for reading Bale. It is always fun to find someone that finds a story hidden deep back and enjoy reading it if what it was intended.

18. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww...that was wonderful.

I loved Beru's determination to raise Luke no matter who his bio parents are.

It was great to see how she changed Owen's mind.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

19. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Thanks for reading Kelia, and giving me a new challenge. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.