main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

a change in the last scene of the trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ds1220, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ds1220

ds1220 Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2009
    yesterday i saw "the return of the jedi" again. in the last scene of the movie, as i remembered it, luke saw the ghosts of obi-wan and yoda, and a third ghost of anakin skywalker in his un-twisted edition. when i saw the movie yesterday, the ghost was Hayden Christensen who played anakin in the new trilogy. has the movie a new edition?
    i would like to get some answers. thanks!

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, changes were made when the DVD's were released in 2004.

ANH:

-Threepio's left arm is bent more when he is in the back of the landspeeder.
    -Landspeeder swoops in rather than flies straight overhead as it approaches Mos Eisely.
    -Dianoga's eye has been tweaked with CGI.
    -When Leia fires on the Stormtroopers in the chasm crossfire scene, the original blaster sound effect has been restored. It no longer sounds like a 70's gunshot.
    -Audio mix is different from the film.
    -Jabba has been tweaked to look a lot better than he did in 1997, but still not as good as TPM Jabba.

TESB:

-Temuera Morrison, who played Jango Fett and the Clonetroopers, now voices Boba Fett. All Stormtroopers sound the same, though.
    -Slave I's engines now sound like they do in AOTC.
    -Audio mix is different.
    -Luke no longer screams after he lets go and falls down the shaft.
    -Ian McDiarmid as Emperor Palpatine and new dialogue while talking to Vader. Vader also has new dialogue.

ROTJ:

-Hayden Christensen's head inserted on Sebastian Shaw's. Lucas talks about this on the DVD.
    -Alteration to the intensity of the Lightsabers.
    -Some refinement to the CGI aliens.
    -The black shadow on Palpatine's face in a number of scenes is mostly gone.
    -Naboo added to the victory celebration.
    -Jedi Temple and Senate Rotunda added to Coruscant.

3. ds1220

ds1220 Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2009
    wow! thanks for the detailed and superquick answer!

4. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    The audio mix is not just different, its destroyed. The left right channels. And worst of all the music from ANH. Thanks to this adywan fellow for restoring that. I'm sorry, I just needed to vent a bit on this. I caught ANH the other night on TNN and was hoping that the statement of the Fanfare would be there for the start of the Yavin scenes.
    Most of the changes to the OT I actually liked. Especially Ian as the Emperor. I wish, however, that a future release might have a better make up job in line with ROTJ then ROTS.
    Have an awesome day!!

5. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    The scene was included in the OT special edition in 97'.

6. TaunTaunHerder

TaunTaunHerder Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2007

I don't like Boba's new Kiwi voice. First ILM changed David Prowse's
    Cockney accented voice to James Earl Jone's voice, then they did the opposite
    and changed Boba's cool-sounding voice to the English dialect Kiwi accented voice. It just sounds bad.

Changing Anakin's ghost at the end of ROTJ was a bad idea, too. Yoda and Obi-wan looked
    the same as ghosts as when they died, but when Darth Vader died, he didn't look like a young Anakin Skywalker, but his ghost looked like a young Anakin. They should not have changed that.

[face_not_talking] [face_shame_on_you]

7. ScannerOmegamon

ScannerOmegamon Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2009
    I like almost all 2004 DVD changes.Replacing original Emperor in ESB with Ian McDiarmid was a very good change.Original scene never really looked good to me.Same with Anakin,s ghost in the end of ROTJ.Replacing that old man,who was about 78 years old(too much maybe?) with Hayden,which some argue that he is too young now,was brilliant change for me.
    Like George Lucas explained,that when he turned to Darth Vader and got burned in lava,Anakin persona died.Then he turned back to light again,but his body is still burned,so you can,t really identify,how he looks like as 46 years old,so Anakin,s Force Ghost form will be before he got burned in lava.
    For Boba Fett,s voice I don,t really care,I even think that his original voice was wierd a bit.

8. Gary_Buchenara

Gary_Buchenara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2009
    There are a number of reasons why I much preferred Shaw in that final scene.

1. The young Anakin was never worthy of redemption. Last time we saw Anakin looking like that he was slaughtering younglings.
    2. Anakin didn't die on Mustafar. If he did, who was that lying talking to Luke at the end of ROTJ?
    3. Anakin had to become Vader and suffer as he did before he could learn what he needed to learn. Having him as a young man ignores the significance of that and weakens the redemption.
    4. Any film without Hayden in it is better than with him.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It's almost as if Anakin fell to the dark side while Obi-Wan and Yoda did not.

Well, I'm glad we cleared that up. The posters who claimed Anakin died on Mustafar have so much egg on their face right now, it's a whole omelette.

10. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009
    Well, mockery and sarcasm aside, visually removing all the years of Anakin's life post- immolation certainly causes a potential change to the way his redemption is interpreted.

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, ignorant fools. Everyone knows Anakin died on Coruscant. Though I can't decide if it was when he got the new name or the new outfit. Hm.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You know what's really weird? When Obi-Wan disappeared his cloak was left behind on the Death Star. But his Force ghost... has a cloak!!! **cue spacey music**

13. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Clearly, they can pick appropriate wardrobe, seeing how Anakin too is wearing something he never wore when alive

14. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Thats one of the benefits to being a force ghost,,, Unlimited Wardrobe!

15. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    It's why Guiness wasn't replaced by McGregor - he would have appeared naked.

16. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    in the new DVD releases, do we see Shaw's body disappear?

17. Gary_Buchenara

Apr 29, 2009
    He should be removed all together because the character he's playing while he's talking to Luke is actually dead.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    No, but we hear Lucas say on the commentary that Luke is burning his father's body.

19. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Are you sure? I thought he said that just the armor was burned, because the body had disappeared by then. Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force notes that his body disappeared, and since that came out in 2007 I don't see why they would contradict something Lucas established in 2004.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Oh, I'm sure. :D He specifically said that Luke was burning Anakin's body. This is also backed up by the TPM commentary.

They probably just didn't listen to the ROTJ commentary, that'd be my guess.

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The EGttF left me colored less than impressed, although most of the "Essential Guides" do that to me anyway.

22. UCLAJediMaster

Feb 16, 2001
    oh man, I am listening to the commentary again.

if Lucas says the body doesn't disappear then why would ANY force ghost show?

23. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    The canon explanation is that Obi-Wan and Yoda made him a Force Ghost. It's a cheesy retcon, but it's there nonetheless.

24. UCLAJediMaster

Feb 16, 2001
    so in the retcon, I am guessing Yoda and Obi Wan make the Hayden Anakin the ghost because that's the Anakin they knew?

Something along those lines?

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's also mentioned in the Annotated Screenplays, so it might not be a pure "retcon" per se. It could just be that Lucas failed to adequately explain the situation for years...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.