main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Change of Plans--An O/Q Short Story--COMPLETED 6.4

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LuvEwan, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Tomorrow is my last day of school....EVER! :D **huge sigh of relief**

My chemistry final is also tomorrow...
    **huge sob of despair**

[face_mischief]

Shaindl Can I help OE poke you? [face_laugh]

diane Thank you so much. [face_love]

o_e Almost like him? I'll take it. :D

PK ;)

Kynstar Thank you, once again, for your unbelievable sweetness. [face_love]

jm2 Thanks! ;) And you're a music therapist? That sounds like it'd be a very interesting profession! :)

shanobi I also find that the character of Qui-Gon varies from author to author, and sometimes, with the same author, it varies from story to story! [face_laugh] I like to think that he had the greater good in mind when he made his decisions, especially his less than bright ones. ;) I'm so glad you're reading. :)

^^^ () ^^^

The pinnacle of afternoon was painted in smoldering hues of orange and burnished red, dripping from the unblemished sky and dying the grounds a rich sienna.

In those intensely hot hours leading into dusk, talk was swallowed into a dry, cracking well, and the lost canteens were sorely lusted after.

The sweat had become a sticky second skin over the men, covering every inch.

Ullo would have gladly lopped off his arm with his own saber for a few minutes under the cool, clean spray of a shower. But the rational elements of his training promptly took dominance over that more self-centered inclination.

Given the chance to have a desire granted, the Knight knew there was something of far greater importance to pray for.

Qui-Gon had gradually increased his pace, so that he took slight lead over Tirr as they walked the long trail. The bundle in his arms had become still, no longer subject to convulsive frenzy or the jittery turn of wrists and ankles. Even the sharp gasps and weak, weepy moans had vanished from the portentously dim soundtrack of their mission.

Qui-Gon wanted to be comforted by the developments. Such deep rest could mean Obi-Wan had reconnected with the elusive healing Force, and the unconsciousness was a mending one. But the cautious cynic in him held to the uneasy feelings both he and Tirr had experienced?the threat to Obi-Wan was very much alive, was darting, moving, even as the apprentice was cradled limp against his Master?s chest.

?He must be tired.? Ullo observed.

?I?m sure he is.? Qui-Gon agreed. ?As are we all. But I think it?s more than that.?

Ullo did not want elaboration, yet once again he had to bow to obligation. The Knight heaved a breath. ?How much more??

?I can?t say exactly. But he?s done a total turn-around in a matter of hours. He?s barely moved.? Qui-Gon shook his head, shifting out of the normal reserve he displayed. ?This is disturbing me more than I can coherently describe.?

Ullo traced the line of his heavily bristled chin. ?You?re not alone.?

To both Jedi?s surprise, Qui-Gon?s lips turned in a faint apparition of a smile. ?No, I?m not. And I must say, Knight Tirr, I?m thankful for that.?

Ullo scratched the back of his head. ?I find that difficult to believe.?

?Why??

?Well, for starters, did you appreciate the massive malfunction of your only source of communication?? Ullo laughed without humor. ?I don?t think I have to remind you that Obi-Wan could be surrounded by medics in a sick bay by now if it wasn?t for the leaking canteens.?

?And if it wasn?t for my accepting this assignment, then Obi-Wan would be safe on Coruscant about now?or could be in any number of situations, on any number of planets.? Qui-Gon?s eyes held an earnest wisdom. ?Ullo, you can?t blame yourself for an accident, no more than I can blame myself for Obi-Wan?s illness.

?I know, at a strange angle, that it?s easier to accuse yourself. If I thought it was my fault, it would make?it would some amount of sense. There?d be explanation.

?But it isn?t my fault. Or yours.

?The conscience is the ultimate casualty of fate. We?re here because the Force brought us here. B

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Great post, LE! Their attempts to bolster each other's confidence is kind of sad - like they know it's a futile attempt. I'm sorta fearful about what happens when they get to the city - are they even going to be able to find a hospital or some other med centre? Can't wait to see what happens!

Shaindl

Poke, poke.

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, dear. It's getting worse and worse for poor Obi-Wan. He hasn't moved?!?!?! This is not good. Hope he can hold out long enough to live.... you aren't planning on killing the young one, are you??? [face_evil]

Loved the language in this, especially the beginning sentences. Keep going!

4. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Gosh, I could feel their sweaty sticky misery in that one LE :) I'm sure having Ullo along on this mission is a nice distraction for Qui - and I liked their little talk.

I too wonder what will happen once they make it to the city. Poor Obi, hasn't moved AT ALL in hours? That can't be good. What's going on in that fevered little mind of his?

I still do not think you will let Obi die, and i'll belive that right up until the end. I'm terrible when it comes to endings I don't like. I tend to make up my own [face_blush] Silly as that sounds. Of course you're talking to the person who stops watching Moulin Rouge after the big finale - and before 'that' scene. That movie has a happy ending as far as i'm concerned.

Am I a little 'off?' Probably. But for me, there is too much misery in real life - I don't want it in my entertainment. Well, actually I do - just as long as there's a happy ending :D

--shan

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh no... he hasn't moved? Perchance he rests, yeah that's it. Recovering somewhat. Well I could hope! ;)hehehe

All that matters is that they're getting closer. :D

Glad the two aren't dwelling on guilt. Which is good.

Great postie :D

6. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Let's see...

Queen of Obi angst+ sick and still Obi= Obi in serious poodoo (but lots of guilty pleasure for the rest of us).

I don't know how, but you out do yourself every time, LE. :)

7. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Egads! How did I miss a post already? ?[face_plain]

I loved yesterday's post when you had Qui-Gon get Obi-Wan to sing to distract him. I really like Qui-Gon in this story. :)

As far as today's post is concerned, I am worried about poor Obi-Wan. I hope they arrive soon and get some help. :(

Now for the most important thing...

Congratulations my dear friend!! I am sure you will do fine on you Chem final and then you will have graduated! WooHoo!!!!

** throws confetti into the air **

For those who do not know already, our dear LE is graduating from high school this week. Yes, that's right, all of this incredible talent belongs to a young woman of 17!! Imagine what she will accomplish in a few years! :eek:

Best of luck, and cyber hugs for the graduate. :)

8. Opal

Nov 17, 2003
    LE's graduating? Congratulations, sweetie.
    And don't let anyone give that load of bull that you'll wish you were back in high school in a few years. You won't. :D

9. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    17??? *sigh* my gods... how long ago was I 17? hehehe

Congrads indeed LE :D most def pat on the ole back for you!!

10. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    Another great post!!! Let me add my congratulations to you! Way to go!

11. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Congrats on graduation! But what do you mean no more school? Did you forget about college?

12. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    Great post. Hope Obi-Wan gets help soon. :(
    And...
    Congratulations! Enjoy the new freedom in your life. :D

13. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Ah. My first day of freeeedom. :D
    And what better way to start off my freeeedom but with an evil cliffie post? [face_devil]

Shaindl Your pokes don't work on me. I'm resistant to pokes. 8-}

diane Kill Obi? Why do I keep hearing that? [face_laugh] [face_devil]

shanobi I also despise the ending of 'Moulin Rouge!'. But better she dies than him, right? 8-}

Kynstar Thank you! :D

Opal That's a pretty fitting equation. ;) And I know I won't miss high school. :D

Sheila I did pretty well on my chemisty final, thank God! I was really worrying about that one...and who cares if I guessed on a few, right? [face_blush] You're so sweet, Sheila. It's really a blessing having you reply to my stories. :)

jm2 Thanks! ;)

PK Um, yeah, about college... *bites lip* Let's talk about Obi-Wan instead. :D

jeday Thanks. I will! :)

^^^ () ^^^

Nightfall was whispering its approach, in the mellowed temperature and slight breeze that rustled through the dried-out leaf hollows, creating a low, sharp whistle.

Ullo shivered, although the air was nowhere near frigid. ?I can?t help but think we should?ve arrived by now.?

Qui-Gon drew his gaze momentarily from his apprentice?s colorless face. ?Perhaps we?ve miscalculated.? His forehead creased. ?But this is the correct path. We couldn?t have misread the map?s coordinates.?

Ullo nodded, but the assurances didn?t lift his shoulders. He let out a wandering sigh. ?It?s one thing or another here, isn?t it?? His finger roamed the bristles of his chin. ?It?s almost as if?as if the jungle doesn?t want us to leave.?

?Almost.? Qui-Gon nearly concurred. ?But that thought is of little use to us. It only adds fear and intimidation where we need to be focused.?

?Right.? The Knight murmured. It was simple to discern where the Master?s focus lay, for his clouded blue eyes adhered once again to Obi-Wan.

That was fine, Ullo decided. Someone surely needed to keep close watch over the young student.

Just as someone needed to monitor the movements and threats of the jungle. That could be considered an error on Qui-Gon?s part. With his attention trained solely to Obi-Wan, he was also leaving himself vulnerable to attack.

An attack from what? A branch? A decomposing carcass? Ullo?s eyes circled their surroundings. Although their situation was dire, they were blessed with no interference from the ravenous, fanged creatures that usually skulked in the shadows and thick brush.

He knew it was a bit childish to believe the jungle was somehow tightening its shriveled arms around them, and pulling them back from the sanity and sanctuary of civilization. But after hours in the heat, bound up in the tension of unknown illness and inner conflict, conspiracies were not so ridiculous a notion.

It was easier to have faith in that, than believe it was all the workings of the Force, and that the beloved entity would be the one to restrain them from the healers that would save Kenobi. He couldn?t understand why it would brim the kid with light, so much that it practically glowed in his eyes, only to extinguish it so prematurely, and in such a cruel manner.

The Force couldn?t be the culprit in this, Qui-Gon swore, his eyes caressing Obi-Wan?s features while his touch could not. Its power had been strangled by the demon that invaded his Padawan?s body. The disease was resistant against the Force.

And it would be fruitless to rage against the Force, for allowing itself to be blocked.

Qui-Gon always favored mantras that addressed the neutrality of life; nothing was strictly fair or unfair.

But now, he didn?t care in the least if his character was ruined by hypocrisy. This WAS NOT fair. As a Jedi, he had been taught that healing skills could be a saving grace when medical attention was out of reach. He was taught that he could protect those under his charge.

There were never any warnings that someday, he might be holding the dangerously still form

14. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Okay, that's cold, even for you. I take back the beta'ing I just did for you if I could. :p I think to further celebrate your being done school, you should post anoter chapter soon. Say, five minutes (long enough for me to boil my kettle for a cup of tea).

I loved the point Qui made to Tirr. Beautifully done, as always.

Shaindl

15. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Why sure, my dear! Anything for you! I'll make it three minutes! I grovel at your feet.

Not. 8-}

16. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Whoa... this was even more intense... specially the cliffy at the end!!!

My fav lines were (as if they aren't everybody else's! hehe)

Qui-Gon stared at him for a few seconds. Heavy shadows clung around his eyes. ?Tell me, Knight Tirr. What have you to lose??

Ullo?s brows knit. ?What??

?At this moment, what do you have to lose? What?s at stake??

A little confused, he answered. ?Nothing.?

?Nothing.? Qui-Gon repeated. ?You have nothing that would make you react as badly as I have. Nothing to break down, or hells, cry over.?

Guardedly, Ullo shook his head.

?So what have you to rejoice for??

Ullo expected there to be more, for him to be beaten down in the blind ire of Jinn, but the towering man turned away then.

It was silence that met the night.

But there wasn?t so much as a semblance of quiet within Ullo?s mind.

GREAT JOB!!!!

17. jedimommie2

jedimommie2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2004
    Absolutely wonderful...I'll give you two minutes to post the next chapter! Please?

18. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    At least I gave you five. :D

19. Opal

Nov 17, 2003
    That was beyond wicked, LE. And since you're out of school and slacking off, I demand that you get back here right now and fix your evil cliffie. :D

20. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    What a cruel place to stop! Five minutes sounds good.

21. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Ooh, and the pressure mounts... :D

22. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Get right back here, Missy and fix that cliffhanger - And do it right!!! NO KILLING OBI-WAN!

Good job but I really need more nails to hang onto that cliffie. Please don't kill him. And now would be a good time for the Jedi to show up with a rescue ship. Yep, good time!!!!!

23. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Noooooooooo!!!!!!!! :_|

It's only a dream. [face_plain]

If you haven't had any takers yet, I'd be happy to beta it for ya. For a price! [face_devil] No really, I'd be happy to.

24. Antigone

Antigone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Overlooking that awful little cliffy you threw in there for a moment...

Wonderful job, sweetie. I adore Obi torture - and this seems to have it in spades. So many questions have yet to be answered. Oh, wow, am I hooked!

I do love your imagery. Your fics always flow so nicely, and this is definitely not an exception.

But, now, about that cliff hanger...

There are few words that can describe how I feel at present, but as most of them, actually, are more akin to low growls than they are to nouns, I will simply glare at the computer screen.

I'm glaring, I assure you.

:D

And congrats on breaking out of highschool! How does that freedom feel? Good? I hope so. :) I've still got four more days - then an endless stream of graduation practices to assure the faculty that none of us will trip in our heels or stab ourselves with the thorns of the roses. Still seems like miles to go before I sleep. Hehe

But congratulations, Hon!

25. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    :_|

That was an evil cliffie even for you! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.