main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A character with a different sexuality in Star Wars EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kran Starborn, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm curious about this one, please share :)

2. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    This analogy is terrible in the context of this thread. Lack of inclusion isn't analogous to rocks thrown at windows.

...unless you mean that the rocks thrown at windows are complaints about lack of inclusion, and that the complainers insinuate bigotry when people get tired of hearing about it.

Also, my answer is no, I'd be motivated to take a bat to that person's head. Get off my property. [face_cowboy]

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  3. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Your post is filled with fairly offensive stereotypes that need to be broken. If a story is capable of portraying heterosexuality in a positive light, it is more than capable of portraying homosexuality the same way. It takes no effort whatsoever on the part of the writer. These subjects of sexual orientation, etc aren't never addressed because they are too complex to approach. It's because two words- 'status quo'.

I know you are referring to a more general audience, but as a slash fangirl I roll my eyes that this question needs to be asked. Especially with how commonplace straight male-oriented fanservice is in Star wars. Ahsoka's midriff is a thousand times more repulsive to me physically than two dudes making out. [face_plain]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    And Ahsoka is offensive to me because Anakin never had a Padawan! LFL and Del Rey have already done a fine job of screwing up the universe, without addressing LGBT characters, so I wouldn't trust them to do them any kind of justice. Of course, I don't want LGBT characters in Star Wars anyway, and I don't believe in the existence of the gay Mando couple from LotF, because I already hate the series with a passion.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ashoka is offensive to me for a lot of reasons but I'm not sure how that relates to wanting to ensure that no one ever writes a particular type of character ever. A comparison would be "I don't want to see Togrutas in the SW universe." Ahsoka is offensive as hell but her species has nothing to do with that, nor does her sexuality, even if she does have horrible taste in men.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Lit forum complete. We have a winner. Repeat, we have a winner of the Literature forum.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We need a counterpoint with chicks who can't stop talking about vah-jay-jays.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  8. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Upgraded.

We have a winner of the Internet!

[​IMG]

9. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Sounds like a Gungun. Smells like fish. Tastes like chicken.

10. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    To be honest, this is sounds like someone speaking who has never had to, say, fear for their physical safety or future job security as a result of being a minority. If minorities "whinge" it is because they face very real, very tangible problems every day for no better reason other than they are different from the "norm". Star Wars, or an entertainment is, as someone said, an escape. And some people, honestly, need escape more than other people.

Contessa and Bib Fartuna like this.
  11. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Although alarmist... , as Tim Zahn would write, "point".

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So you're saying you don't believe minorities are discriminated against more than white people?

I'm white and heterosexual and I don't believe that.

13. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    It's not even alarmist. For instance, since I don't want to speak for other groups than my own, I am statistically more likely to end up homeless than a WHM. And statistically, more likely to be a victim of assault. Fiction, even Star Wars, should do what it can to provide empowering characters for minorities because they are hardly empowered in real life.

Contessa likes this.
  14. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    I wrote you are being alarmist, because I can only speak from a personal perspective. I am in a Management position, and I personally fully embrace diversity in the workplace, and support EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) principles (ie: a person wins a position on merit, regardless of gender, age, race, religion, sexual orientation, political persuasion, etc.).

15. VanishingReality

Apr 21, 2013
    I pointed out Ashoka Tano's attire and her dubious status as a fanservice character, to counter their statement that fans would be grossed out by gay characters making out. To such fans, I say deal with it, since nobody gave me a gold medal for having to sit through the creepiest Luxsoka kiss of all time. It's an assumption that all fans would form the same opinion about things.

Sex in star wars in any form, I think would be definitely cringe worthy. I think that would be in the form of tasteful allusions like Luke/Callista scene or the Anakin/Padme scene with the light going out. Or the extremely dorky like swtor's Sith Warrior where they walk off the screen, and then walk back.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "Walk off camera" is the GFFA equivalent of foreplay.

Trip and VanishingReality like this.
  17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And how many times have I had to put up with heterosexuals making out in Star Wars, huh? It's a two way street.

18. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    If it is such a burden, stop watching it!

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hoping you aren't serious, because if you are, that's quite the double standard.

Don't like same-sex couples making out? It shouldn't be in Star Wars!
    Don't like opposite-sex couples making out? Too bad, just stop watching.

I don't care one way or another but really, the standard should be the same for both.

20. VanishingReality

Apr 21, 2013
    Swtor ruined it for all other EU authors that just want their characters to go on a quick stroll.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    Hang on, this comes back to a previous comment of mine. Whinging. I'm quite happy with Star Wars as is. I'm not the one complaining this way, or the other about how it should be modified for inclusiveness. I just accept it for what it is, and don't demand it change.

22. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    One is default the other is a new addition. If golf decided that due to minority appeal it should replace holes 15 -17 with a game of football or soccer. I suspect people would be annoyed. The same is happening here.

23. Bib Fartuna

Nov 4, 2012
    This is obviously urban-legend, however, golf is probably not a good analogy in this sensitive thread.

After all, isn't the acronym 'Gentleman Only, Ladies... Fornicate and Travel'.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody is "modifying" Star Wars. People have been making out in Star Wars since 1980, and I don't ever recall any rules about how only certain people were allowed to make out.

As far as same-sex pairings being a "new addition"...lol no, homosexuality has been around since the dawn of time.

Contessa and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The Ancient Greeks were at it, and there's mosaics to prove it. I will spare your precious eyes, however.

Edit: this was a joke, before anyone jumps at me.

Bib Fartuna likes this.