main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC A Charming Example of SW Fandom (Japanese sushi chef who carves SW figures out of yams :-) )

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Pensivia, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Ok this is really random and minor, but I came across this little interview in the Celebration coverage that just struck me as capturing several of the things I enjoy about how people respond to SW:

(interview/demonstration begins at around 4:36:52 and ends around 4:43:07)

I was thinking about why I found this so charming:

1) it's a great example of the international character of SW fandom

2) the sweetness/sincerity with which the man explains how he got started making the figures and just how he responds to the interviewer's questions and comments in general

3) the sheer quirkiness of his contribution to the fan universe...I mean, c'mon...yam carving!!!8-} :p

2. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    This is great! In some ways, this is more Star Wars than any of films or the books or comics ever could be. It captures the heart of the Saga and brings it real life. To me, Star Wars is most defined by its naive sincerity, and that's exactly what this seems to be. This chef doesn't seem to be carving these things ironically in a halfway making fun of himself sort of way. It's not a joke to him. He just seems to love Star Wars and sincerely wants to celebrate it with his art because he enjoys it and he knows other people will enjoy it. Even the host (who's just trying to keep the segment going) has to stoop to jokes and ironic comments, but the chef just seems to let it all pass over him. He's just a guy enjoying his art and Star Wars!

Pensivia likes this.
  3. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes... a sense of "naive sincerity" is key to the whole SW "feel" to me.:)

I also just love the little details in the video, like how the SW music swells up in the background of a yam-carving session:p and how you can see a sort of crazy-looking female Rodian in a bikini top milling about in the cantina background during the whole thing:p

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    May the Yam be with you.

Pensivia likes this.
  5. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I was more interested during 6:19:15 :p

6. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012