main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A child born to non-Force sensitive parents....help

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JediMaster_Jen, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    In the Harry Potter films, magic children like Hermoine born to non-magic parents are called Mud Bloods. I'm going to be helping a friend write an AU fic that takes place Before the Saga in which Garen and Siri are the children of non-Force sensitive parents and are fighting a battle that has divided the Jedi Order into two groups--Mud Bloods and Pure Bloods. Obi-Wan, their best friend has taken up his saber against them--him being a Pure Blood. However, we don't want to borrow the term from Harry Potter.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what we could call each group of Jedi in this fic? Also, how about some ideas as to which Jedi you think would belong to which group.

Any ideas you have for this fic would be greatly helpful.

Edit: Thanx DarthIshtar. You can tell I didn't pay much attention to the HP movies, huh? LOL.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    First, it's mudblood.

Second...

Batblood (blind as a bat to the Force) Nope...didn't think so...

3. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Force-bloods and Blind-bloods? (to go w/ the HP example, and with Ish's blind as a bat thing ...)

edit: Force-bloods?

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    You mean Jedi coming from Jedi families? Well, I think that it's hardly something that could happen. Generally, the Jedi weren't allowed to marry and have kids (there are exceptions, of course, but I'm talking in general). So the analogy with Harry Potter's Mudbloods and Purebloods is a bit pointless. See, the Jedi are very rare. By the time of TPM there are around 10,000 in the whole Galaxy (which itself has trillions of trillions of inhabitants). It is very unlikely that there could develop big Jedi families (Skywalkers being the exception that confirms the rule).

Unless, of course, you want to create a very AU Star Wars Galaxy, where the Jedi are more common. :)

5. obi-wan_index

obi-wan_index Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    Well first, in this AU story are Jedi allowed to marry and have families? That seems to me to be pretty important because as far as that era's Jedi go they aren't allowed to do that... and so there would very likely be no "pure" bloods anyway.

That being said, I'll have to think about it a bit but I would definitely go with names that are fairly non-derogatory. I have trouble picturing Jedi putting non-force sensitives down with a "mudblood" type slur... even in the situation you have described.

spiritgurl

edit: ugh... forgot to logout! :p

6. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Another idea - I don't tend to think of some people not having any Force-sensitivity. Qui-Gon says that midichlorians are in all living things, and it seems that Jedi simply have higher counts and are more sensitive to the Force. There must be a threshold at which the Jedi would consider an initiate. Maybe a term like "thresholders" for the great Force-sensitives and ... "non-thresholders" for the lesser-Force-sensitives. :p

7. obi-wan_index

obi-wan_index Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    You know what? It might actually be a more interesting idea to have the Jedi born to non-force sensitve parents be the ones who feel above the ones who are from a family line of force sensitives... Anakin, for one, came from a non-force sensitive parent and he is "the chosen one". ;) So they may feel like they were specially chosen/created by the force whereas those from a family line just came about because of genetics. At the same time the family liners may feel a sense of honor that they the force is particularly strong in their family.

sg

8. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Thanks for all of the ideas so far.

Oh, this would definitely be an AU in which the Jedi have always been allowed to marry and have families.

Spiritgurl, I love the idea about the children of the non-Force sensitive parents feeling like they are the ones that are above the pure blood Jedi. That's great.

I think my friend is registering right now so she can join the discussion. I'll let her explain exactly what she wants to do. I'm off to a dcotor appointment. Bye-bye all.

9. PureBlood_Jedi

PureBlood_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2004
    Hey folks, I'm PureBlood_Jedi, also known as Dianne.

Jen told me she posted my idea for a fic here so I had to register and join in.

First of all, this would definitely be an AU in which the Jedi have always been allowed to marry and have families. I love the Harry Potter films, especially the tension between Hermoine and Draco. I thought it would be cool for that kind of thing to be interjected into the Star Wars universe. Purebloods against the mudbloods (hate that term). I just don't want such a derogatory term as mudblood. I agree with the poster above--I don't think even in this situation a Jedi would be so hateful towards another Jedi. It would rather be a title than a name-calling sort of thing. Does that make sense? That's just who they are--a Jedi born to non-Force sensitive parents versus a Jedi born of Jedi parents.

I'm not sure how to deal with the midichlorian thing, though. All living things have them, some just have more than others right? So my idea is that the tension between the mudbloods (for lack of a better term right now) and the purebloods, the festering conflict between them comes from the fact that the pureblood Jedi feel that it's the contaminated blood that comes from their non-Force sensitive parents that has sent many of them to the dark side. Like if they were purebloods they'd have been able to resist. it's confusing, I know. I've confused my self many times over the last few weeks when thinking about this idea. LOL.

I like the idea above about the Jedi born to non-Force sensitive parents feeling like they are above the others because they feel they have been "chosen" by the Force to be a Jedi rather than the others who have the talent because theu inherited it.

Anyway, here is the synopsis:

Garen Muln and Siri Tachi both come from non-Force sensitive families. Obi-Wan Kenobi, their best friend, is the purist of pureblood Jedi--he comes from a line of all Jedi Knights and Masters dating back to the beginning of the Jedi themselves. Together, the three young Padawan Learners walk the path toward Jedi Knighthood until the day comes when another friend, also from a non-Force sensitive family (Anakin Skywalker perhaps--I haven't decided) falls to the dark side and the feuding between the two classes of Jedi begins anew. (for my purposes, they had all learned to get along centuries ago) It places Obi-Wan on the opposite side of the feud from his friends. Complicating matters for the three are the fact that Obi-Wan and Siri are just beginning to realize their feelings for one another.

Well, there it is--my brainchild. Love it? Hate it? Indifferent?

Would making Anakin the same age as Obi, Siri and Garen just make it way too AU? ( as if it isn't already. LOL.)

Great discussion so far--I'm glad I registered.

10. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Actually, at one point the Jedi WERE allowed to marry and reproduce. The Corellian Jedi (according to Corran Horn), never stopped this tradition, but everyone else did. Nomi Sunrider and her husband Andur were married and had a child, and that wasn't anything unusual.

I think it was only later, probably sometime within the last 1,000 years, that the Jedi were forbidden to marry.

Dana

11. Skywalker_Angel

Skywalker_Angel Jedi Master star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    How about having one restriction on the marriage and family thing--Jedi can only marry other Jedi. I think Obi-Wan would only be that pureblood if the case were that Jedi could only marry other Jedi. That would create a problem for Obi and Siri as well--they are both Jedi, but she isn't a pureblood. Could cause all kinds of angst.

I love angst.

As for what to call each caste of Jedi--I'll have to think for a bit. I can't come up with anything right off-hand that is PG--or PC.

12. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    I have to agree with Dantana, though the rule may have been a "come-and-go" thing. The rule obviously didn't apply to Nomi and Andur, but it seemed to be in place only 40-50 years later with Revan and Bastilla (if you take KotOR as canon -- otherwise, the 1,000 year mark Dantana mentions is a logical mark).

It also seems to me that Jedi would not refer to anyone who isn't a Jedi with a particular term, since that term might be interpreted as an insult by some cultures (or become an insult as it does with our culture sometimes).

Although, it might be realistic for the younglings to have such a term (not being as diplomatically-minded as their grown-up counterparts). If so, it would probably be something childish. Then again, it might just be that they refer to non-Jedi as "normal" with a certain holier-than-thou tone of voice.

13. Skywalker_Angel

Skywalker_Angel Jedi Master star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    Arin~It also seems to me that the Jedi would not refer to anyone who isn't a Jedi with a particualr term, since that term might be interpreted as an insult by some cultures.

I don't think she's looking for a term for non-Jedi, she's looking for a term to apply to their kids that are Jedi.

Star Trek: Enterprise just did an episode with this kind of thing. A caste of genetically enhanced humans--called Augments--were treated badly because they were grown in test tubes. It's sort of the same thing--treating people badly because they're different.

Remember also, this is an AU, so what we know of Jedi culture and policies and rules will all probably be different. Maybe the Jedi would refer to non-Jedi by a certain name if they see themselves as being above both non-Jedi and children of non-Jedi who are Force-sensitive enough to be Jedi themselves.

Just like in the Harry Potter universe:

non-magic people=muggles
    magic children of muggles=mudbloods

Dianne~You may end up having to use the Harry Potter terms. I certainly can't think of anything else. Unless you want to use words like dirty or filthy blood and translate the "dirty" and "filthy" into another language so it sounds different. That's my best idea so far.

14. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    how about for the genetic force sensitive - heredials (from the word hereditary)

and for those from non-force sensitive parents... um... this one's harder... force born? maybe? That's if we're going with the idea that the Force itself give these people theri sensitivity, rather than it being gentetic.

sg

15. PureBlood_Jedi

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually, I've decided I want both--a term for non-Jedi and their children who are Jedi.

This fic is going to have the pureblood (I may stick with that term) Jedi seeing themselves as above everyone else, especially when a non-pureblood Jedi falls to the dark side and starts killing purebloods. Their old feelings of being better than the others because of their pure blood will come back with a vengeance, triggering a war within the Jedi Order itself.

Another question: Who do you think would be a pureblood and who would be a [face_shivers_at_the_use_of_this_term] mudblood? Beginning with the Jedi in existance at the time of TPM all the way through the NJO.

I really appreciate the discussion. It's giving me great ideas.

Edit: I like that Spiritgurl. Heredials. I really like that. Thanks.

16. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    I just used the thesaurus. lol... You could try some words that make you think of the non-force sensitive family born Jedi and see if you can tweak one of the words like that... though I sort of like the term "Force born" as well as Heredial.

sg

17. PureBlood_Jedi

Nov 8, 2004
    I like both terms as well. I'm going to check out the thesaurus now.

18. PureBlood_Jedi

Nov 8, 2004
    Okay, the prologue for this fic is done. Anyone interested in beta-ing it for me?

Big thanks to Spiritgurl for the terms Force-born and Heredial.

19. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    No problem :) Glad I could help.

If you are still in need of a beta try this thread. You can post a request for a beta reader there. ;)

sg

20. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    In the book "Crystal Star" we have a glimpse on how it would be to have a non-force-sensitive child from sensitive parents ... the other way round ... ;)

I vaguely remember being said somewhere in a book that children with force powers could become "dangerous" for parents who don't know to handle it (especially due to lack of force powers). So they need special training.

21. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I wrote a trilogy devoted to what it was like to be a non-sensative child to two Jedi parents...

I like the Force-born, that sounds cool.

Kithera

22. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I would just call it force-sensitive and force-blind, regardless of the type of parents the person had.

Jae O:)

23. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    NarundiJedi~That's the point though~~the Force-born Jedi (the ones born of non-Force sensitive parents) are being persecuted because of who their parents are. It's not really about the Jedi themselves--they're all Jedi--it's about how they became Jedi--through heredity or through the Force itself.

I know Dianne has sent her prologue for this story, which is gonna be called Star Wars: Jedi In Conflict, to her beta. As soon as she gets it back it'll be posted in the Saga forum.

Edit: Dianne (PureBlood_Jedi) has asked that I lock this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.