main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Chronological Journey Through the EU: Currently Disc. Interference

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, May 9, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just as a side observation, this is probably the review closest in proximity to the release of the materials in question ever since you started this project, since stuff like TOTJ, TPM & JA had long been out when you began. Does something like that ever dawn (no pun intended) on you while reading? Or does it remain outside the reading experience like it should?

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Reading the Dawn of the Jedi stuff, I was aware, in some sense, that they were pretty new materials. Exactly how new I didn't really know, but I had the sense that I was slowly advancing on the big Legends Announcement as I progressed through Dawn of the Jedi. I didn't know it for sure, but given how little material is in the era, I just kind of thought, "I bet this stuff ran right up to the end of the original EU; I bet the Legends Announcement was the thing that stopped this series." It gave the era a kind of bittersweet quality actually. And all in all, I am kind of sad we won't be getting anything else in this series.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I am as well- I would have loved to seen some of the elements introduced explored further. I was particularly curious if they were going more into the nature of the Tho Yor- you didn't dwell in it much but that opening prologue to Force Storm was a pretty great mythic beginning to Star Wars (as well as an introduction to the DOTJ era itself, at least for those of us who read things as they were being published since ITV didn't come out til later), and with all the speculation of a connection to the TCW Mortis events (and facets and directions tied to it much further down the timeline), I really did want to see if it came together in some way.

4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Reading Dawn of the Jedi, I got the sense that the EU had come to be... unsupervised. Sith Jedi (no comma ;) ), the birth of the Jedi Order depicted so very casually, lightsabers 25000 years before the movies, Force lightning in literally every other panel.... It felt a little bit like hubris, you know? I enjoyed the series (though not as much as you did it seems, Rogue1-and-a-half), but I ever since it was announced I felt that the people in charge had sort of given up on trying to play editors with the franchise, and just greenlighted whatever sounded cool. Never expected "Legends", but when it did come, this is one of the things that made it feel justified.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, wait, did you expect the origins and discovery of Jedi philosophy and Force theories to be exactly the same as those 25,000 years later?

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I will admit to being underwhelmed by the Tho Yor. I would actually prefer if the exact way that the Force was discovered, etc., was left a lot more vague. I think it's kind of impossible to come up with a beginning that's as mythic as it needed to be. And the Tho Yor is really not that beginning. But again, as to what Starkeiller was saying about the EU kind of coming off the rails, I think that's definitely something I liked about the era. I talked a lot in my Into the Void review about how primal and raw it felt and I think it's for exactly the reason you say.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  7. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    I loved the Tho Yor and the prologue to this series. Didn't feel like an underwhelming mythology for the Jedi backstory to me. The whole thing was one of the most Flash Gordon-esque concepts to appear in SW in a long time. And I did like the fact that these primeval Jedi were very different from the latter-day Jedi. I just felt that Ostrander was telling his version of the Jedi origin and not the Star Wars Jedi origin -- that's the best way I can explain it. And the lightsabers, too, were unforgivable, more so because they didn't even have the stomach to call the bloody things lightsabers.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do you think about the rancor riding humans on Dathomir?

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

This seems to seriously bother you for some reason. :p

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    fixed and why should it not?

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

I don't see why it's a problem.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why not?

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

What's the problem with rancor-riding humans on Dathomir?

14. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Having read "Into the Void," I still find it amusing that a Jedi has a somewhat civil dealing with a Sith (species, of course). I guess that's way before the Sith hits the fan. :p

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You mean beside humans on Dathomir i pre-35.000 BBY?

The rancorn riding part is a problem from a old-canon statues since it was previous stated that it was not until the time of Allya that humans learned to tame the rancors, but then again most post-CoPL material featuring Dathomir have ignored that it was stated that rancors did not allow nightsistes to ride on them.

16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't see a problem with humans being on Dathomir at that point. "Soft retcon." No biggie.

Yeah, this was pretty much blown to dust long before DOTJ.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why not?

18. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Rancor-riding human witches on Dathomir 36000 BBY felt wrong. It is theoretically possible that there were humans on Dathomir at the time, that they could ride rancors and that they could use the Force, but the Witches of Dathomir had, at the time, an established backstory, and the choice to include them in this series amounts to taking a massive dump on said backstory. Not as bad as lightsabers, but certainly felt like the Witches were placed in the wrong era just to have them included where they didn't belong.

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Because why should there be a problem with it?

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow, huh, I didn't even really notice the rancor-riding humans on Dathomir. I mean as in noticed that it didn't make sense or whatever. Well, you guys hash that out. I mean, it does seem like a long, long time prior to CoPL for there to already be kind of Nightsistery things on Dathomir . . . well, but whatever, I guess.

10 Key Battles: 4. Uquine

[​IMG]

10,996 BBY

*Okay, so this is a kind of interesting one. This entry appears only on DinoJim’s timeline; the other three timelines I’m using as reference points don’t include this one.

*So, this little section called Uquine is part of a Star Wars Insider article called 10 Key Battles. It has brief little blurbs of a couple paragraphs or so on ten different battles that helped shape the GFFA. It runs the gamut from the battles in the films to the New Jedi Order. You can buy the issue it’s in, which is #133, online if you’re anal about reading everything.

*This one comes at around 11,000 BBY and it sits alone at this period, separated from anything else by a long while. The timeline entry before it is Xim at Vontor which is at approximately 15,500 years BBY and the entry after it is at approximately 7,000 BBY. So, it’s separated from any other text we have by 4,000 to 5,000 years.

*This article, by the way, is a tie in article to The Essential Guide to Warfare. Thus, it is kind of a reference article, so I can see why the other timelines left it off. Still, it’s of some interest, so let’s talk about it.

*At this period, it seems that the Republic has become a theocracy of sorts, completely controlled by a group called Pius Dea. The current leader of the Pius Dea, and by extension the Republic, is a fellow name of Constipex XIX.

*Obviously a riff on the Catholic Church then.

*The Pius Dea have controlled the Republic for about a thousand years at this point and they’re basically waging religious wars on any species they consider impure.

*They start with the Hutts, which I think we can all agree is a good call.

*The Jedi are, surprise surprise, attempting to stay neutral in this whole conflict.

*So, the Caamasi convince the Jedi to join the Renunciates, a secret alliance plotting to overthrow the Pius Dea. The Renunciates plan for a hundred years . . .

*These must be some awesome plans.

*Anyway, they plan for a century and then they make the move. They lure the Pius Dea fleet into a huge battle and then activate a virus that’s been installed into the Pius Dea fleet computers. This virus sends the Pius Dea ships into hyperspace and kicks them out at the planet Uquine with all their weapons disabled. The Renunciate fleet is waiting for them at Uquine and thus endeth the Pius Dea control of the Republic.

*So, reading this I did remember that some of this is covered in the Essential Guide to Warfare, and I did read that whole book, but, honestly, there was a lot in there that didn’t really stick in my mind. It’s not as though I cared about this part of the history when I was reading it.

*Or do at this point.

*So, I think what this whole Pius Dea/Renunciate thing was the EU starting to open up a new era in which it could tell stories. This is a blank slate here and books and comics would doubtless have filled in all around this main little framework. But then the big Legends shift happened and so we essentially have this one thing happening in this era and nothing else. It’s the set-up but nothing follows it.

*That’s conjecture on my part, but I think that’s the likely explanation for this. What other reason would they have had to set up this one thing happening here?

*Oh, unless it ties to callbacks or stuff like that in the other sections of the EU. Like the Dha Werda Verda did. If that’s the case, please fill me in on that.

*Anyway, there’s nothing particularly wrong with this little blurb. It’s interesting in the way it’s evocative of the Catholic Church and I could definitely see some interesting stories being told during this period.

*But, as it stands, it’s completely unnecessary. There’s simply no reason to read this and with the timeline being as long as it is, I simply have to clear as much of the clutter as I can in my personal canon.

*CANONICAL STATUS: There is no reason to believe the account of the battle of Uquine. There remain no other texts from this period to support this document. This work is NOT RECOMMENDED as a historical resource.

** stars.

Jason Fry, Paul R. Urquhart

*All right, next time, we’ll jump to 6,900 BBY and get some inside info on the Sith’s activities after the banishment to Sith Space. Join me next time as we crack open the Book of Sith and read Sorzus Syn’s Chronicle.

Star Wars Reviews!

Starkeiller likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If you don't see a problem with humans on the Outer Rim Territories planet Dathomir, in the era of 35,000 BBY were only a small handful of species know of hyperspace travel, and none of them humans, so do we work on different wavelengths

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Ah, I see your point.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it was a coordinated or master plan to intentionally open a new era up for forthcoming publications- we weren't going to get "Star Wars: Pius" miniseries anytime soon, but the EU does seed these things as flavor to galactic history- and it's always possible these things can get fleshed out later if the right story comes along.

I mean, just jump back 12-15 years ago- TOTJ was the story furthest back, for the most part, but things like Xim and Tython existed as historical nuggets and they only got fleshed out within the last few years. Likewise, the Rakata weren't introduced into galactic history until 11 years ago. And it was close to a decade before the dark ages leading up to Ruussan were explored in the Knight Errant series.

But then there's all kinds of interesting nuggets in EU history that never had much extrapolation in full works outside of reference sources, so just because it's there isn't a guarantee it'll get explored or expanded into a full era of works like DOTJ. Until then it's just flavor that maybe a book or comic will name drop in the right circumstances.

Riv_Shiel and Starkeiller like this.
  24. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Personally I was amused by and like the whole Pius Dea crusades. Not only is it a reference to the real crusades of history but the way they had cathedral like ships and commissars made me laugh that Star Wars basically went through a Warhammer 40k period. I find that hilarious.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Your journey through the DOTJ era was an interesting read. The era never appealed to me because I hated that Mortis stuff in TCW, which the stories looked like they would be exploring. It sounds like they mostly just took the imagery, and never really got into the mystic stuff, which is a plus IMO.

I have some other problems with exploring this era, but for what they are, the comics sound like classic Ostrander goodness. Ignoring larger implications, it sounds like a good story. The time jump to the last arc sounds a lot like the Epitaph episodes in Dollhouse. Basically the creator saying "This is where I was going with the characters and plot. There are a lot of cool things I jumped over, and there would be more cool character moments if I had longer to tell the story, but here's the cool payoff I was aiming for." It's unfortunate when that has to be done, but does a good job a piquing your imagination. Actually, I think Ostrander is just good at endings that leave you wanting more. That's certainly how I felt after his last Republic arc.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.