main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Circle in the Water (Obi/Qui/Xan, very AU) *Updated 02/03/06!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by corellian-jedi, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    Notes: The Xan/Mace interaction takes place around 57 BBY (7 years before the prologue); they are both teen Padawans at the time. The rest of the chapter (Obi-Wan and friends) is part of the main plotline, and takes place 42 BBY (8 years after the prologue). I'm sorry if that was very unclear.

Also, a big thanks to my friend Meg, who edited this chapter (even though her primary fandom is Harry Potter). [face_love]

Responses:

maychorian - Thanks so much! Qui-Gon is definitely making his entrance in the next chapter. I'm glad that my Obi-Wan is being well received. I was kind of worried ... after all, this Obi-Wan had a different upbringing, and thus a different attitude (not necessarily a bad one). Keep an eye on Sarran and his "gang". ;) I feel sorry for Rai, too.[face_worried]

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi - Thank you. Your simple acknowledgement means a lot! [face_love]

dianethx - I'll add you to the PM list. [face_blush] Thanks, I always get someone to nitpick on grammar and spelling ... Do native speakers realize how strange English can be at times? About Mace and Xan, I only realized they were contemporaries when I read their profiles on Wikipedia. Somehow, I've always imagined Mace to be older than he actually is in cannon. Loved "Swimming is..." btw.

Stella_Ripple - Mace and Xan are contemporaries, and in my story, friends. I think Xan (b. 74 BBY? although I saw 71 BBY in one timeline) is older than Mace (72 BBY). Hard to imagine, huh? Bald, stern, powerful Mace a contemporary of suave, angsty, dark (or in AU, not so dark:p) Xanatos. Thanks for reading!

PadawanKitara - No prob. The PM was my pleasure. Glad you mentioned Melida/Daan. My answer ... well, I can't answer.:p Melida/Daan happened, but not the way you think it happened. In other words, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon went to Melida/Daan, and that's about as far as the parallel goes. I'll explain ... in a few chapters.

LilQui-Gon - [:D] Thanks for reading and reviewing! Mace is too "Jedi" to strangle his friend, even if Xanatos needed to have some sense knocked into him. Mace = [face_frustrated]; Xan = :mad:. Boys...

Thanks, everyone! You guys are uber!:D

2. LadyMacBeth

LadyMacBeth Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2005
    Thanks for the PM, corellian-jedi. I'm sorry I couldn't edit this chapter, the dratted DRL. If you want me to proofread your next chapter, I'd be happy to do so, or if you friend is already doing it, I don't mind offering a second opinion.

Whoa, bratty Xan! [face_shame_on_you] I thought Mace could've been firmer with him.

I'm not liking this Sarran character at all. :mad: He's doing damage to his Padawan and seems completely clueless about it. I'd hate to think what kind of trouble he could cause Obi-Wan.

Kudos to Obi-Wan. So talented! He does seem a little less down-to-earth in this AU, not that this is negative. His thoughts reveal his frustration with the class's progress. Why doesn't he switch to a higher level?[face_thinking]

The time jumps weren't confusing (not to me, at least). I like your style. This story is turning out very well.

3. LadyMacBeth

Jul 25, 2005
    Umm, any chance of seeing a cover for this fic?

[face_batting]

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks, I always get someone to nitpick on grammar and spelling ... Do native speakers realize how strange English can be at times?

As a native speaker, I think English is very strange. They have lots of words that mean the same thing and there are all kinds of ways of saying things. And the spelling! And the idioms. Yes, I do!

I think people may write Mace/Xan more often now that they realize they are contemporaries. I also had no idea before looking at the timeline. I thought Mace was closer to Qui-Gon's age, too ....

Thanks! [face_blush]

Looking forward to the next post.

5. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    dianethx - My mother language is German. My second is French, and English is my third. I started learning English when I was 12 ... way too late IMO. Particularly because I don't have a gift for learning languages; it takes great effort for me to learn a new language. The "exceptions" in English still make me want to scream in frustration.

As for Mace/Xan.... this is how far apart I think they are in personality, priorities, attitude, etc:

<Xan>---------------------------x10--------------------------------<Mace>

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating...:p So far, I'm having plenty fun writing them, so no complaints!

Can't tell English is my third language? Ha, not for those who hear me speak! Apparently, I have the strangest accent in the world.o_O

LadyMacBeth - Nice try :p ... not if I'm doing the cover. I'll be honest. On a scale of 1 to 10, my artistic talent gets a rating of -12. Nope, I think I'll stick to writing.

I'll send you a copy of the next chapter, edit only if you have time. Meg's willing to do it, and she's a really good sport (as HP is her main fandom). I always value your opinion!

Sarran's not the greatest guy in the world, I'll give you that. Poor Rai, indeed. Councillor Mace would have been firmer with Xanatos. But Padawan Mace gave his friend a break.

This Obi-Wan lived a different life (compared to JA/PT Obi-Wan), and we'll see exactly how different as the story progresses. I hope he's still endearing, though.:* Poor thing won't move up in class level. I wonder why.[face_batting]

Merci beaucoup for reading and commenting!

6. rubber_band

rubber_band Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2005
    this is an awsome story

7. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    rubber_band - Thanks so much! [:D]

Notes: Thoughts are in italic. GST = Galactic Standard Time.

Chapter 2: Obi-Wan's Problem

"We are ever striving after what is forbidden, and coveting what is denied us."

~Ovid

The orange sun of Coruscant was edging below the horizon.

Inside the Jedi Temple, a young Padawan slipped from the creche quarters. He started when he saw his Master waiting in the corridor.

"That was some talk-a-thon," Qui-Gon commented wryly, ignoring the blush on his apprentice's face. "Somehow, I've never pictured you as the type to listen to little kids gab away."

"He's different," insisted Xanatos, still looking slightly uncomfortable. "He just fell asleep. He must have been tired after telling me all about his visit home."

"The Temple is his home," said Qui-Gon stiffly. "You shouldn't encourage him.

Xanatos opened his mouth in protest. That's not--" He struggled with his words. "I'm not trying to--I--he wanted to talk, so I listened."

Qui-Gon frowned disapprovingly. "Listen to your feelings. Is it what he wants? Or is it what you want?"

Xanatos stared at the long shadows across the floor, cast by the setting sun. He was silent for a long time.

Master Yoda stopped to observe the hand carved ornament hanging from the wall. He made a small 'harrumph' noise.

"A masterpiece indeed," he muttered, and resumed his calm pacing. "The cause of envy and jealousy among other Masters. Humph, pettiness!"

The door hissed open as he spoke his last comment. Qui-Gon Jinn stepped into the spacious living area.

"I hope you were not referring to my Padawan's gift," the tall Jedi Master said smoothly in greeting. He walked to the ancient Master pleasantly, indicting no sign of surprise at finding an intruder in his quarters.

"Certainly not," grunted Yoda, jabbing his walking stick at the masterpiece. "Talented, your Padawan is."

"I'd say," agreed Qui-Gon in a mild tone. He smiled fondly. "The boy is thoughtful and kind-hearted, although I'm sure he'd run off in a hurry if I ever said that to his face."

Yoda grumbled something inaudible. His large eyes surveyed the masterpiece again. The source of his admiration was the marble likeness of a lightsaber. Not any lightsaber. The halves of two different lightsabers fused together. One half resembled Qui-Gon's lightsaber, from the bright green blade to the intricate handle. The other half took on the appearance of Obi-Wan's lightsaber with its azure blade and creative hilt. The two halves fit perfectly with each other, symbolizing their partnership of Master and apprentice coming together as one.

When a Padawan received the second bead for his braid, it was a tradition to present his Master with a meaningful gift, as an indication of appreciation and dedication. Padawans usually prepare for weeks ahead of time to find the perfect present. When the day arrived, Obi-Wan spent the morning searching the Temple for his Master. He had hoped to catch Qui-Gon alone.

"No, Haken."

Sarran didn't budge. "Surely, Master Jinn..." He waved the datapad. "You must understand the meaning of this petition."

"I do," said Qui-Gon. "And I disagree."

"The familial connections of your Padawan are clouding your judgment."

"You couldn't possibly understand--" He cut himself off. "Obi-Wan?"

The boy stopped in his tracks and blushed. "Um, this is a bad time. I--uh--I'll see you later." He turned to leave, but not before Qui-Gon caught his arm.

"You're not interrupting anything," assured Qui-Gon. He eyed the wrapped parcel in Obi-Wan's hands.
    /Is something wrong?/

/No./ Obi-Wan hesitated. /Perhaps another time, when Knight Sarran isn't around./

Qui-Gon smiled. /That bad?/

Obi-Wan scowled. "Here." He pressed the cloth-wrapped package into his Master's hands. "This is for you, Master."

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hmmm - cryptic

love Xan's message. He must get a thrill out of torturing Obi-Wan by calling him princling (if it is Obi-Wan he is talking about)

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Wow this is a very 'intriguing' story: secrets everywhere
    and what happened on Melia/Dann

Poor Obi-wan has a problem keeping food down
    and some of the Masters seem jealous of him.

OOOHHH interesting=D=

10. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Secrets everywhere it would seem. And why is Obi-Wan having problems eating food? I'm sure Bant is aware that something is wrong and Garen is getting there as well.

Good job. Keep going.

11. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Very mysterious. Wow, this chapter sure does raise a lot of questions. More curious than ever about Obi Wan's heritage now, not to mention about his food problems- wonder what happened there[face_thinking]

Oh, I'm loving your Xanatos, very him, especially the princeling part :D Can't wait for more!

12. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    How did I miss this one?! It's so good - all the mystery and intrigue, all the secrets and questions that keep popping up through the dialogue. And I really like how you're writing the characters, especially Obi-Wan. He's an arrogant little Jedi, isn't he? [face_batting]

Oh, and I loved the little remark about Garen and Siri. [face_love]

13. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    Thanks to all who have read and/or commented!

JadeSolo

Welcome! And thanks.[:D] Mmmm, mystery is good (for me, at least:p). Obi-Wan is a little imp, isn't he? Maybe I'll have to teach him a lesson about pissing off prim Jedi Masters. Actually... I already have it all planned. *cue in hysterical laughter*

Pssst, Garen and Siri are going to elope ... eh, nevermind.

(Hardly. Obi-Wan would kill 'em both.)

Stella_Ripple

Yup, questions and more questions. I'm glad you caught on with Garen's political questions and Obi-Wan's surprise. As for his food problem, that's reserved for later! Obi has enough on his plate right now...

Xan's so... Xan. :* I adore him. Of course, after I hit him over the head for being such a prick at times!

Thanks.

dianethx

Ahhh, the big question... for now. Obi-Wan is having a terrible time trying to eat food. I wanted to flesh it out some more, but it just didn't fit right. His friends are definitely catching on.

Tricksy secrets.

Thank you for reading![face_love]

Gkilkenny

Thanks, I'm glad you found it intriguing. Melida/Daan will be explained - soon, I hope. I don't think it'll have a huge impact on the story. After all, Obi-Wan didn't seem very traumatized. ;)

I don't envy Obi-Wan either. [face_sick] --> every time he tries to eat... gahhh! awful.

We'll see more of the jealous Masters. Thanks for reading + commenting, once again!:)

PadawanKitara

Xanatos is indeed referring to Obi-Wan in the message. It's fortunate that Qui-Gon's classy enough to keep private messages to himself - or Obi will have to sneak a sand viper into Xanatos' bed. Annoying, suave, handsome-ah, forget it.

The mysteries are for boggling the mind. ;)

Thank you!

[face_good_luck] c-j

14. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Oooh, ooh. Things are hotting up. Curiouser and curioser...why's Obi having trouble keeping his food down? And that marble light-sabre gift? Wow. That part was so good. [face_love] And the messages.

Am so eager to know what comes next. :D

15. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Cooooooooool.

I love all the little mysteries, and how you're slowly revealing the answers. I like the way you write Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, warm and open, but comfortable enough to tease each other.

Of course I am very curious and I can't wait for more!

16. LadyMacBeth

Jul 25, 2005
    I'm falling behind!

Nicely done with the cryptic message from Xan at the end! I think I can venture a guess as to who those initials belong to....but I'll keep that to myself for now. ;)

AU Xan still ends up on Bandomeer. 8-} Blasted planet, hah.

I am really curious about Obi-Wan's eating disorder. << i don't mean that in the anorexic way! It's pretty obvious that Bant and Garen are starting to catch on. [face_shame_on_you] Obi-Wan for keeping secrets.

I hope we learn more of Obi-Wan's family soon. A lot of things seem to revolve around them. And arrogant Obi-Wan annoying jealous Jedi Masters! This cannot turn out good. I'm proud of him with the lightsaber gift, though. That was sweet. [face_love]

Update soon.

17. DreamCatcher12

DreamCatcher12 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2005
    c_j,

very nicely done. i love the mystery in this story. despite my opinion of xanatos, i'm glad to hear a little more of him. :)

anyways ..... you know who this is. ;) hint: check the username.

keep it up, girl!

18. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    More Replies, 10/13

DreamCatcher12

Oh no, no, no. Not you. :p Of course, I know who you are. The '12' confirms it. [:D] Thanks for reading! Leave Xani alone...

LadyMacBeth

[face_not_talking] Not saying anything about the initials! Although you're probably right. Bant is very observant, and she's definitely noticing something off about Obi. Secrets, secrets, secrets... they just can't help it!

Obi-Wan's a Jedi; we gotta leave his family alone. ;) Um, my elusive way of saying 'give me some time to plan it'.

Thank you, thank you! [face_love]

maychorian

[face_blush] Thanks... I love the Obi-Qui team! Sometimes I want to go full out on mush, but then I remind myself that it doesn't fit in every scene. <grumble>

I'm glad you like the mystery so far. Once again, my sincere thanks!

ithesock/P_A

Curiosity is good! Whew, I was worried about the lightsaber part.[face_praying] And to be honest, I got the idea of inserting the messages partially from your fic "Epistles".[face_batting]

Thanks a lot! :D

Ahh... I'm coming across a busy stretch ... so I don't know when I can get the next part ready. <sniffle> Ugh, it's so cold in Canada.

Well, to all my readers: GRACIAS! [:D]

19. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    I am unbelievably late! :( DRL has been hectic! Here it is, at last...

Notes: Thoughts are in italic.

Chapter 3: The Padawan Tournament

?Those who know how to win are much more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories.?

~Polybius

Xanatos examined the array of complicated drawings and instructions. A small smile played on his lips.

?That?s the fourth form of lightsaber combat,? he explained. ?As you can see here, users of Ataro are generally athletic and acrobatic. Some say the form is overly aggressive and lacks all around defense. It?s not a practical form to use against multiple enemies.?

?Oh,? said the youngling, trying to divulge it all. ?So, Master Yoda is very a?aggressive??

Xanatos barely stifled his laughter. ?In a manner of speaking, yes.? He remembered the walking stick incident too well.

?My Master also practices Ataro,? he added fairly.

The boy grinned. ?That means you too??

Xanatos shook his head. ?I never had the aptitude for Ataro. I practice the fifth form, Shien.?

?What?s that??

?We turn defense into offence,? he said. ?We press the assault as we counter an attack. Or in other words, we try to use superior strength to defeat the opponent.?

The child pondered for a moment. ?So ? you swing your lightsaber harder, but do less funny jumps.?

He almost choked. ?Ah?generally.? He could just about imagine the look on his Master?s face if he ever heard his refined flips being called ?funny jumps?.

?Does that mean when I?m a Jedi Master, my Padawan will practice a different form??

Xanatos smiled. ?Isn?t it a little early to think about taking a Padawan?? In return, he received a look that clearly insulted his intelligence. ?Well, I?m an exception. The other apprentices are good little followers of their Masters.?

?I wouldn?t mind learning Shien,? confided Obi-Wan. He looked thoughtful. ?I like Ataro, too.?

?*?*?*?

?Aggressive, Master?? Qui-Gon?s eyes twinkled with mirth.

?Humph?? Yoda stared at Xanatos and Obi-Wan with bulbous eyes. ?Ready, is he??

?Yes,? Qui-Gon answered seriously.

?One more mission there is, before granted he can be the title of Jedi Knight. One last test.?

?He is ready,? said Qui-Gon with confidence. ?He has learned much in the past year. I have seen him triumph over emotional pain, and conquer his insecurities. He is ready for any challenge.?

?See about that we shall,? cautioned Yoda.

Qui-Gon stood in the doorway, pleasantly surprised at the view before him. I can see the floor today.

?How many do you need?? he asked, gesturing to the pile stacked atop Obi-Wan?s bed.

?All of them,? he muttered absentmindedly. He frowned at the datapad in his lap. ?I don?t believe this? The nerve of him??

?What is it??

Obi-Wan jabbed at the touch sensitive screen, and turned the device off rather abruptly.

?Aalto,? he hissed.

?I?d ask you what he?s done this time,? said Qui-Gon mildly. ?But frankly, I?m not very concerned. You give him too much credit, letting him affect you so.?

The comment had its desired effect. Obi-Wan froze in the process of getting up. He flushed, and lowered his head.

?I?m not angry,? he said, when he finally lifted his eyes from the ground.

?No, that would not be you.? There was a hint of pride in Qui-Gon?s smile. ?I almost forgot. Xanatos wishes you good luck.?

Obi-Wan gave him an impish grin. ?I don?t need luck.?

?Everyone does.?

?Not me,? said Obi-Wan. He rolled his eyes to let his Master know he wasn?t serious. ?Did Xan say anything else??

?He complained about the weather and the company,? replied Qui-Gon. ?Typical of him, of course; the spoiled brat that he is.? He gave Obi-Wan a stern look. ?You should eat. We have a long day ahead.?

Obi-Wan nodded, and jumped off his bed to begin the new day.

Qui-Gon glanced around the empty room. Blast this?

Beep.

T

20. Fat_Bird

Fat_Bird Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    I can't believe I missed this story! Very good.

Could you please add me to your PM list?

21. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Whats this? An update?! *has a heart attack and springs up as paramedic whispers- fic update*

Brilliant, I really like Obi here- he's much more confidant (rightfully so!) and, dare I say it, well not arrogant but definately not taking Sato's attitude lying down!
    LOL i liked the way you incoporated Pirates of the carribeans!
    Oooh and the mystery deepens! So he and Siri are close friends...and whats this about his brother...more questions for you to answer in the next post- which you *will* be posting soon ;) :D

Great job and thanks for the pm!

22. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

This is very mysterious
    and intriging
    Glad you updated nearly forgot it
    can you PM me too.
    GK

23. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    I almost forgot about this story until you sent me a PM. Thanks alot. I'm all caught up now. What's gonna happen next? :D

24. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    :D *Does a dance*

You noticed!

I've added Fat_Bird and Gkilkenny to the PM list.

Replies later!

Thanks for reading and responding.[face_love]

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Obi-Wan certainly has a lot of things going on. He's worried about his brother, fighting off the whispers and animosity of a Master and apprentice and having problems eating. A lot to deal with. I just hope Qui-Gon will give him backup when he needs it. Love the flashbacks. Gives the story depth.

Good job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.