main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Clashing of Wills - Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: A Clashing of Wills
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan
    Summary: You can?t make me?
    Notes: Written for the Rebellious Obi-Wan challenge a while back. This is an AU, obviously?

A Clashing of Wills

?I?m not going to do it,? Obi-Wan stubbornly maintained, his bottom lip jutting out just a bit more.

?Yes, you will, Padawan,? Qui-Gon insisted yet again.

Obi-Wan crossed his arms over his chest and shook his head, his lips tightening now. The Master could practically see the boy digging in his boot heels. Qui-Gon sighed with exasperation and tried again.

?You must, Obi-Wan,? he explained for the ninety-seventh time. ?It is the Jedi way.?

?Then the Jedi way is stupid,? the boy shot back with a glower.

Qui-Gon raised his eyebrow at his apprentice. ?It?s stupid, is it? I bow to the superiority of your vast vocabulary,? he said and then gave an exaggerated bow.

?You know what I mean,? Obi-Wan said with a grimace. ?Now who?s being stubborn??

?I don?t understand it, young one. Why would you object to this of all things??

?I just don?t like the idea,? he asserted. ?I can?t explain it.? There was confusion on the young face, but also a grim determination.

The Jedi Master sank down into one of the chairs and buried his face in his hands with a weary groan. ?Padawan, you must do this! If you cannot submit in something so simple, what hope do we have of building a strong Master/Padawan relationship??

?And if you would insist so stubbornly on having your way on such a trivial issue, then how do I know you will see me as an individual, with unique wants and needs?? Obi-Wan retorted. ?I?m about to entrust my life to you, and I want to know that you?ll not only train me, but listen to me.?

Two sets of blue eyes narrowed and met. Qui-Gon leaned back in the chair and heaved a great sigh as he crossed his arms over his broad chest.

?It would seem we have a stalemate,? the Master said wearily, wondering when it had all gotten so complicated. He rubbed his eyes and realized he felt the beginnings of a wicked headache developing. Just what I need, he thought.

?It would seem so,? the boy agreed with an emphatic nod of his head.

?So, where do we go from here?? Qui-Gon asked, curious about Obi-Wan?s answer.

?I don?t know; I?m only a Padawan. You?re the great and wise Jedi Master,? the boy said with a smirk. There was a definite twinkle of amusement in his eyes.

?Suppose I insist?? Qui-Gon asked, one brow arched quizzically as he studied the youth.

?Then you?ll hold me down the whole time. And I guarantee that I will change things to my satisfaction at the first opportunity.? Obi-Wan gave one more nod of his head for emphasis and his nostrils flared slightly as he spoke.

?You would deliberately flout my wishes?? Qui-Gon asked disbelievingly. Surely, Obi-Wan did not really intend to rebel over such a minor issue.

?In this matter, yes I would.? Obi-Wan?s voice was quiet, somewhat embarrassed, but he showed no signs of backing down on the matter.

?And nothing I say will change your mind?? Qui-Gon queried thoughtfully, his hand rubbing at his beard.

?No.? Obi-Wan?s answer was simple and it was clear that it was final.

?Did anyone ever tell you that to be so stubborn you must be part bantha?? Qui-Gon snapped, finally driven beyond his patience. He felt a quick flush of shame that one young boy had caused him to lose his temper. Perhaps the Master has as much to learn as the Padawan, he mused.

?I recall hearing something to that effect on more than once occasion,? Obi-Wan answered smoothly, making the confession without a hint of shame.

?And it didn?t register that perhaps you should temper your reckless need to impose your will on others?? Qui-Gon asked.

?Not really, no. Besides, aren?t you doing the same thing?? There was a definite challenge in the boy?s eyes now, as if he was daring Qui-Gon to deny it.

?And right back to where we started!? Qui-Gon exclaimed exasperatedly, throwing his

2. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Interesting- so Obi-Wan was making a fuss about his braid? Not something I would have suspected... And I liked that last line, about the leash. Yes, it really does seem like a leash sometimes, doesn't it?

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Cute, VL/b]. I loved the dialogue. Great job! :)

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Loved it on the challenge thread (reminds me I haven't been there in awhile) and a joy to read again. Stubborn Obi-Wan... just like his master. LOL

5. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Aw, that was great. Loved the banter.

"The Jedi way is stupid!"

[face_laugh] What a typical teenage comeback. Just great!

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    *snrk* cute.

7. Kylie_Jinn

Kylie_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Qui-Gon raised his eyebrow at his apprentice. ?It?s stupid, is it? I bow to the superiority of your vast vocabulary,? he said and then gave an exaggerated bow.

Great discussion here; I just love it when masters and apprentice get annoyed and witty. Poor Obi-Wan, all that over a lil braid. I really like those braids!!!

8. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Poor Obi, stubbornly refusing a proper Padawan leash. [face_laugh]

I read this back on the challenge thread and its just as good the second time around! :D

9. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Ah the leash...and Obi's staggaring vocabulary. Great work!!

10. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    ?Did anyone ever tell you that to be so stubborn you must be part bantha?? Qui-Gon snapped.

?I recall hearing something to that effect on more than once occasion,? Obi-Wan answered smoothly.

Bantha! ROLFM*O

11. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    ?Then the Jedi way is stupid,? the boy shot back with a glower. Sounds like my little sister. [face_laugh]

?It?s stupid, is it? I bow to the superiority of your vast vocabulary,? [face_laugh]

Darn that leash!

Very cute!

12. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Brilliant as always, VaderLVR.

No leash? :eek: Nooo! Despite the humor throughout the piece- a lovely dash of tenderness made it simply perfect.

13. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_laugh] Love the dialogue! Great job!

14. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

What! he doesn't want a braid!!

I think he looks cute with a braid.[face_laugh]

15. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    [face_laugh] Very nice. You've pulled off one of those Last-Line Surprises smashingly.

[lame_review] Lately, I've decided that Last-Lines should be a genre of their own--right up there with the angst, humor, romance, and Obi-Torture. =D= Again, lovely. Couldn't pick a favorite line if I tried, and it's almost time to leave... so no time to try. ;.; [/lame_review]

Thanks for sharing this with us!

16. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Hee hee, pouty Obi-Wan is so cute!

I really liked the banter between the two characters, and the end was just perfect.

Leash [face_love]

17. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    Agrees with River_Stone. This was fantastic!

No leash... I mean braid....

I mean... Nothing!

Great story! It was wonderous, and my favorite part, the Qui/Obi banter. All very well done!

Seven
    @};-

18. obi-isa

obi-isa Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    OOO that was good! I like! Is that it? More? [-o|

19. Briman

Briman Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2004
    Another incredible viggie, Vader =D=

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Alethia Leash is good! o_O

LuvEwan Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

Healer_Leona Get thee to the Obi-Wan thread! [face_batting]

maychorian Witty, isn't he? :rolleyes:

DarthIshtar Thanks.

Kylie_Jinn Yeah, I like the braids, too!

bek Well, I'm flattered you read it again!

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi I guess he had to grow into that cultured voice or something. ;)

Aya-Na_Bashu He IS stubborn, just very cute while he's doing it.

FelsGoddess Me likes the leash! =P~

sheleigh Thanks! It sounds a lot like some of the exchanges my kids and I have, but no leashes here! o_O

Jedi_Tigris Thanks, it was a lot of fun to write.

Gkilkenny He looks adorable in the braid.

Fluff-Slayer I'm glad you liked it. I always agonize over the first and last lines...

River_Stone He is quite fetching when he pouts, isn't he? ;)

Seven Thanks! [face_blush]

obi-isa Nope, this was a one-shot, but those are famous last words, aren't they? [face_whistling]

Briman Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

21. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    haha very funny!

great job.

22. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was hilarious! Totally enjoyed it! :D Thanks for the laugh Moma Vader! [:D]

23. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    [face_laugh] Thanks! Needed a good laugh!

24. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Hee hee. I remember reading this in the Challenge thread, and laughing my head off. Rebellious Obi-Wan, and insistent Qui. Loved it. [face_laugh]

Way to go, MamaVader!

25. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Hey Master! So this is why you pointed me toward the Obi-Wan challenge thread! You've been wandering about there yourself!
    Loved it. It is a lovely conclusion to my Obi/Qui mush fest today!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.