main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series A Clone Conundrum

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jun 8, 2011.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That's not what George said and that's not what he did. There's a reason we get nothing but "yes, sir" from the clones in the movies.

Jangotat was an ARC trooper and if we're talking about the same ones the clones in Dark Lord were commandos, not standard clone troopers.

2. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007

Because the movies didn't have time to develop the characters and the movies were to focus on Anakin and his fall to the darkside? While TCW can focus on the clones and background Jedi more?

3. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Now that he knows they're cash cows, yes. That was not his original intention.

4. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    You really can't say that, GL didn't know that the clones with different personalities and ideas would be so welcomed by the fans. By the time Season 1 aired, to be more specific, Rookies, they were already working on Season 3 stories, not to mention Season 2 would of been in the animation stage, so they were already going with this thought process anyway.

Which automatically leads that GL always had an idea like this for the clones. We saw a bit of it with Cody and Obi-Wan before Utapau, both that movie needed to focus more on Anakin's fall than things like this.

5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Dude, he's said so in an interview. When making the movies, he thought of the clones as just mindless automatons.

He had no idea people would react to them so positively, he had no idea they would be fan favorites.

Once they decided to a do a show, they decided to put the clones in the spotlight and make them more human.

(because fans have ate up everything to do with clones)

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm deducting points from your final grade CT for that grammatical slip up. You want to say either have eaten or just ate.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    This idea that some clones would be personal was already there when ROTS aired- commandos and commanders like Cody were given names and personalities even though they were first and foremost clones and not normal-

So in that CT is right that GL changed his vision there (not the first time) but well don't see it as bad since now they have chance to expand what clones are- there must be some soulless automaton- part in them as well-

but it seems there is also some kind of "life finds a way"-problem á la Jurassic park- clones are humans that are supposedly turned to be automatons by kaminoans , but they still are lifeforms and humans and in certain situations that may override their programming and make them act like "normal" humans- it's a retcon yes- but i don't think that bad at all- IMO much more interesting than just simple "they're automatons"- idea....

8. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    A leftover from my southern relatives, "ate up" was used regularly in my family growing up.

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Fair do's [face_peace] I just woke up on the wrong side of the sidewalk this morning and I was not in a patient mood.

10. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Do we really have to talk about grammar in all threads now[face_tired] - please make own thread to this issue if it's so damn big...

11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Doesn't matter. They're better as individuals.

12. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Opinion. One that is based on little to no exposure to the presentation of clones as mindless, soulless automatons.

13. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Definitely,

The clones kind of remind me of Kenny in South Park.

The clones are better as individuals. It adds more complexity. It makes them far more tragic and increases moral dilemma. It also creates fresh possibilities for characters and character interactions.

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    This really should have just been done as a poll. Score me up for automatons.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Mindless, soulless automations don't make for good marketing. You can't have Rookies if the clones all have the personality of a Terminator.

16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    On the other hand though, giving all the clones personalities makes them all carrying out Order 66 without hesitation less believable. The clones are essentially an army of sleeper agents, and so it makes more sense if they are all blank discs rather than individuals with diverse personalities. It's no wonder there were so many Jedi lingering around between ROTS and ANH if we take the 'individualistic clone' approach.

17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm just tired of the contrived, cliche, cowardly depiction of this particular archetype.

Everyone goes the Commander Data route, too afraid to show us the brutal reality of the situation.

It's not just the clones themselves, but the universe they live in and everyone in it.

I really don't think they've considered the road they're taking and where it inevitably leads to, mass murder.

But hey, keep showing the clones as real boys, even though those real boys are going to kill some real little boys in the near future.

Those good guys who took care of poor little Numa, Waxer and Boil, will later slaughter little kids. (assuming they survive)

18. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well 'unbelievably cruel orders' have really been carried out before by noncloned people- like in nazigermany etc.- obvious i know -maybe cliché as parallel- but still.....

Hopefully order66 is explained bit more now....

19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ha ha, I forgot Kyle was originally a Stormtrooper.
    Galaxy would have been in trouble if he stayed one. Or if Han was still an imperial pilot....
    Come to think of it, a lot of heroes started out as enemy cannon fodder. Not just in Star Wars, but in a lot of fiction

I like more the idea that stormies are clones out of numerous different templates and recruits are actually minority- it is eu-retcon-mess anyway clones or not clones but don't really buy idea that Empire finds so much humanrecruits to fight and die for the Empire ..... but cloning explains it- they find few recruits- clone the best ones and they can have an entire legion out of few men.....
    Technically, the clone stormtrooper thing was the retacon mess. Early drafts of the PT made the clones the enemies of the stormies, so few people assumed the strom troopers were clones

Plus, regardless of what you think of the stormtroopers, we see plenty of Imperial officers and soldiers without their faces covered, and clearly none of them are clones, so the empire could and did recuirt widely. (not to mention they drafted plenty of people too)

that is obviously what George himself thinks- we never see stormie without helmet in OT- since they have different heights they are no more all Jango-clones but Battlefront2 suggests they are clones from different templates......

I really hope liveaction or something would clear things up further- i'm unhappy with contradictory eu-info that seems to conflict with George's vision- GL added Jango bumping his head in AOTC because stormtrooper does in ANH- so George obviously suggests that Jango's DNA is still there in stormtroopercorps or joke doesn't quite work- recruitment is cheaper than cloning for sure but there should be high standards in stormtroopercorps if they are elites.....

I disagree. We hear plenty of stormtroopers speak, and none of them sound like one another, much less like Fett. Even in the newest version where Boba Fett has his dialogue redupped by Jango Fett's actor, the stormies still sound different from him and one another.

Plus, GL did say in an interveiw that the Empire switched to recruiting after the Clone Wars I mean, there is a reason the Galatic civil War is not "The Clone Wars 2".

When did Yoda and Obi-Wan seem bothered by killing clone troopers? I didn't see that.
    Well, jedi are pretty good at controlling their emotions, being detached, and being pragmatic, so one interpretation is as good as another in the movies...though in the EU we see at least one jedi would went out his way to avoid fighting clones, and at least one clone who refused to follow order 66

Jedi kill thousands of them while they seem to be surprisingly feeling beings- is killing a battledroid wrong?
    I have to admit this has been bothering me. For things with simple, hiveminded programing, the droids have displayed a fair amount of individuality and self-awareness. Particularly after reading that one comic about a droid that broke away from the droid control signal after being damaged, it has become a bit hard to see them gunned down after surrendering and see that played as a joke.

OOM-10 and his men should be given posthumous decoration for valour in combat, as far as I'm concerned (No memorial for them but a memorial for the Jedi who shouldn't have been killed? Bah!
    Amen.

Now that he knows they're cash cows, yes. That was not his original intention.
    1. Ficition doesn't work like that. Original intention counts for absolutely nothing. How things are actually depicted matter.
    2. As someone who owns a book all about the behind the scenes of episode 3, I get the opposite feeling. There was a reason he gave every clone commander a name and a unique peice of armor, and that was specifically to show their growing individuality as nutured by the jedi, and to contrast that with the rigid uniformity enforced by the empire later.

Opinion. One that is based on little to no exposure to the presentation of clones as mindless, soulless automatons.
    I've seen that in

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    of course since they are part of 'imperial army' that has perhaps no clones at all -no need to mess that up...

That only proves they are not clones from the same (Jango's template) there can be clones that are mixed so there wouldn't be any "brethrens" that could be danger- also i didn't say there wouldn't be recruits.... so if they are diverse in any case- i think that's why George didn't redub them.....

this clone army of few millions in galactic war- doesn't even make much sense IU it's so damn expensive and small..... but obviously this is a mess- i like idea of imperial clones -don't take it away from me:_| - certainly there can be special units of stormycorps that are clones even if majority is recruited- abandoning all cloning technology after the war just makes no sense to me....
    beside George changes his mind all the time- so i wouldn't trust anything he says- only when he does stuff.....

but i hate it how there is so much of these damn humans in OT- cloning would have explained large number of humanstormies for me..... why GL always wants to ruin his universe once there is some sense made out of it?:_| .... sorry about emotional burst but i don't like this cloning just replaced by recruiting - since recruiting should already start during the clone war if there is only few clones....

21. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    No it wasn't. I watched Episode 2 & 3, and to a lesser extent, the dumb micro-series. They're better as individuals.

22. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
  23. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Thanks.

24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I would define that as "little exposure". I didn't have to know your personal viewing experience to make that statement, as in my opinion the entire sum of exposure to this particular portrayal in SW history is relatively small.

You can have your opinion, though. Many people did enjoy the clones in the microseries, AOTC and ROTS.

However, the brief exposure we get of the clones in the above sources is not really what I'm talking about. It's not just about the clones themselves, it's about the reaction of the universe around them and the complications/consequences of their existence.

25. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    That "little exposure" was enough. The clones you normally find in the the EU and the Clone Wars are more popular because they are more than meets the eye and are developed as characters whereas you normally didn't care about whether the clones died or not back in the microseries, AOTC and ROTS.

Also, if there's one thing I've learned from this site, it's that anyone can have their opinion, but that won't stop people from disagreeing with it.

I think people like the clones because of how they react to the universe around them and the complications/consequences of their existence.