main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A cloned Kenobi to return in a book set 500 years after ROTJ? Please, can anyone quell this rumour?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 4horse, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4horse

4horse Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2004
    I heard a rumour kicking about just around the time of release of the Phantom Menace.

Apparently there was something in the pipeline for an EU book, set about 500 years in the future (after ROTJ), when the Jedi Order is in a desperate situation & they manage to be able to clone Obi Wan Kenobi (as in Phantom Menace)to help them out against a foe that only he can defeat.

I'm sure it's not true, but I do remember this flying about at the time & where better to confirm it than here. Anyone remember this or can tell me I've been dreaming?

It would be cool though to have an Obi Wan comeback in the EU. He is by far the greatest Jedi of them all - note he was never really killed by Vader. He surrendered himself for the better good. He would have took him if he wanted to.

2. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I've never heard this rumor before. God I hope it's not true.

3. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    This sounds horrible. But it will never happen.

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    You may have heard an old Zahn plot that was disregarded:

From the Starwars.com Databank:

"Early in the development of Heir to the Empire, author Timothy Zahn believed that Lucas had abandoned plans to continue the Star Wars saga, and came up with his own idea of the events of the prequel-era. Among one of his plans was the creation of an insane clone of Obi-Wan that would figure prominently in the events of the Thrawn Trilogy. When it became apparent that such a direction was not possible, Zahn changed the cloned Obi-Wan into the character of Joruus C'baoth."

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/obiwankenobi/?id=bts
    AG88

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, that's pretty old. I've never heard that rumor before. I doubt that it's true.

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    There was also a popular fanfic called Sands of Time (I think) that dealt with Kenobi coming back to teach the Jedi of 500 years post ROTJ how to be proper Jedi.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    ...Raven, you beat me to it. That was a pretty good fanfic, IIRC..Obi-Wan wasn't a clone though

8. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    I would find that as insulting as your signature.

9. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I would find that as insulting as your signature.

Whose signature?

10. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
  11. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    That was a great fanfic...Quite lengthy, but awesome nonetheless...Kenobi wasnt cloned, he was ressurected by the Force

12. 4horse

4horse Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2004
    That was it, Sands of Time. I wasn't dreaming afterall, thanks.

ps. By the way part of signature removed. Sorry.

13. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

Jan 17, 2002
    Thankyou 4horse.

For what its worth, I am tired of all the clones period. And although Obi-Wan is my favorite jedi, I think bringing him back, as a clone, would be lame. Same goes for Anakin Solo. Who is my 2nd favorite jedi.

14. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    For what its worth, I am tired of all the clones period. And although Obi-Wan is my favorite jedi, I think bringing him back, as a clone, would be lame. Same goes for Anakin Solo. Who is my 2nd favorite jedi.

I agree. The clones are so overdone. I would hate Anakin Solo to come back as a clone. That would be just too much like a bad take off of the movie ?Pet Cemetery?. I could see the clone not being quite right in the head and turning to the darkside.

There was a theory in the Luke, Mara, The Force and Sex in the Expanded Universe thread where the spirit of Anakin Solo takes over another Jedi?s body. :p (It is also known as the Lunakin theory).

AG88

15. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    that was an awesome fan fic. I wish the auther would make some revision and additions to it, since we have a lot more info on obi wan now. Not that i think he was characterised badly or anything.

16. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    It's true! Obi-Waaan will come back to help defeat Thraaaaawn, Maaaara Jade and Luuuuuuuuuuke Skywalker.

17. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Nope. It's just a rumor. How can Obi-wan be cloned? HE DISSAPEARED! Where would the DNA come from?

18. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Nope. It's just a rumor. How can Obi-wan be cloned? HE DISSAPEARED! Where would the DNA come from?

Same thing with Vader:

Scientist: you cremated your father!
    Luke: Dude, he was starting to smell.

19. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    Where can a person find this Sands of Time fanfic?

20. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    How can Obi-wan be cloned? HE DISSAPEARED! Where would the DNA come from?

In order to clone Obi-Wan, a sample of his genetics would have had to have been collected prior to his death and then preserved.

21. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Alternatively, if his cloak were preserved somewhere (perhpas Vader had it in the glovebox of his TIE Advanced), there would almost certainly be hair and skin cells left that could provide DNA. Unfortunately his lightsabre is an unlikely candidate, after all it's been through.

-Paul

22. darthnick11

darthnick11 Guest

i hope this doesn't happen...very much.

23. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    If someone physically disappeared into the Force at the moment of their death as Obi-Wan did, then it would seem feasible that they could be be drawn back out of the Force and into physical form. Lucas even had this happen in the earliest drafts of ROTJ. Obi-Wan physically manifested to help Luke fight Vader and the Emperor. However, it would seem to me that this could only be done through the power of the Darkside and if Obi-Wan returned this way, he would be unable to use the Living Force (since he would be an unnatural being;think Callista Ming in COTJ,DS, and POT).

24. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    Now now. Calista-girl was quite fine at using the Dark Side. It's just a shame that she shuned the chance to become a master at it. ...Or did she? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.