main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A clue about the Death Star and EP3(this is not a spoiler)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DARTH_RENDAR, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_RENDAR

DARTH_RENDAR Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    I was just watching ANH, and something came up. When ObiWan and Vader are having their duel in the deathstar Vader tells Obi, "You should never have come back here." or something close to that. Now this is probably going too far, but do you think that maybe the Death Star is in Ep3, somehow. Maybe an earlier version, since Obi immediatley knew it was a space station when Han thought it was a moon. Maybe Obi and Vader have their duel on the death star. Im probably wrong, but just humour me.

2. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]interesting. they could be at least building it in EP3. [/color]

3. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Vader said, "You should have never came back."

Which means nothing.

4. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I just finished reading the A New Hope novel. Interesting quote from Tarkin that wasn't in the movie: "After many long years of secretive construction, this station has become the decisive force in this part of the universe."

I wonder if many long years could mean 20 or so, in which case it might show up in Ep III.

5. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I always thought that the Obi-Wan-Anakin duel would be where they would be building the Death Star, though I doubt that particular quote had anything to do with it. :)

6. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    I doubt that Obi-Wan had ever previously been to the Death Star. He didn't seem to recognize it when they were pulled in by the tractor beam in ANH.

And now, to completely contradict myself. perhaps he did. Anyone ever notice how he knew EXACTLY where to go to shut down the power for the tractor beam? I mean, he only got a very quick glimpse when R2 pulled up the plans. And that's a big space station.

OK, I'm done having a split personality.

7. Darth-Spuddy

Darth-Spuddy Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2002
    I have to disagree with the original post. I dont think Obi-wan had been there before.

Vaders line "You should not have come back" means that Obi-wan should not have come out of hiding. Especially now that he is an old man, and Vader is a Sith in his prime.

Vader expects to finally slay his old master for all of the hurt/pain he will probably cause him in Episode 3 (ie the hiding of the twins) and this line shows Vaders intention that he will kill his old master.

IMO anyway!

8. Rogue_Kreg

Rogue_Kreg Jedi Master star 1

May 20, 2002
    I think it's highly possible that Obi-Wan has seen the Death Star before ANH. Look how his eyes grow big when he realizes what he has just seen. I think that a duel on the skeleton of the first Death Star would be a great cinematic moment. It would also explain a lot of Vader's injuries if he got knocked into a reactor core or something like that. It also would make his throwing of the Emporer down the reactor core in ROTJ that much more meaningful.

9. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Yup, I think Obi-Wan is looking at it in almost disbelief.

Perhaps he and Anakin duel on Coruscant or Geonosis, where some huge battlestation is being built. Obi-Wan, thinking he has killed Anakin, thinks that the battlestation is never completed because a fleet of Loyalist fighters seize the place.

Little known to the fleeing Obi-Wan, hiding Luke and Leia, the space station will secretly be completed (referring to Tarkin's quote).

Hence the big eyes, hence his knowing it's a space station, hence DV saying "You should not have come back."

EDIT:
    I completely agree with everything you said in your post, Rogue_Kreg!!

10. Obi-Ron42

Obi-Ron42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Don't forget Vader's line "There will be no one to stop us this time!"

Maybe Ep 3 will show an earlier, unsuccessful attempt to build the Happy Fun Ball.

11. Darv_Thader

Darv_Thader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Man o man I hope I HOPE no Death Star in Ep III! Do we really need 3 of the 6 movies to be obsessed with Death Stars?!

I mean, yes, the thing is cool, but I have had my fill. In fact, I think the reason I liked Empire so much (pre-prequels) was because it was the only one WITHOUT a Death Star, so it was a little different and less formulaic.

And one of my biggest gripes about TPM was the fact that, in the end, Anakin haplessly flys into space and destroys the bad guys' stongest weapon, the droid control ship, which happened to look quite similar to a certain battle station (which was of course, underscored 3 years later by AOTC). It was far too derivative.

If the Death Star does have to be in Ep III at least it probably won't be destroyed, thus dodging the repetitive "we're horribly underarmed yet we have to destroy the ultimate weapon" plot. To those who speculate based on Vader's line 'there will be no one to stop us THIS TIME' that thus Star of Death in Ep III will be destroyed and ANOTHER built for ANH, I say I hope not I HOPE not!

12. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    If anything, all I hope is that we see like the frame of the station, no coverings. I don't want to see the DS in all of its glory.

13. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    If we see the Death Star in Episode 3, I think that it would cheapen it's appearence in ANH. I mean the plans in AOTC are fine and a fun cameo... but we don't need another SW film with the death star... complete or incomplete as one of its stop over points. :(

14. vadersith23

vadersith23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    i would think that what dader ment by that is obi wan was in hiding from the empire, and should have stayed that way. obi wan should have never have showen him self again.

15. vadersith23

Jul 10, 2002
    i ment vader not dader

16. vadersith23

Jul 10, 2002
  17. SW_Holiday_Special

SW_Holiday_Special Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    How can you people complain?! This is a great idea that would bring a different meaning to two lines in the Classic Trilogy & make the scene where they get captured by the Death Star even better.

18. Darth_Tarsh

Darth_Tarsh Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    I guess the interesting fact here is, that in ANH, after the rebels had stolen the death star plans, Leia`s mission was to contact General Kenobi and bring him to Alderaan. Why would they need Ob1`s help if he hadn`t some experience in destroying a death star? So I´d imagine that there could be kinda prototype DS in EPIII.

19. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Very interesting speculation, with lots of ties to the OT.

2 points against the idea ---

If it's already up and working in EpIII, how come it's still being secretly constructed 20 years later?

And if it's known at the time of the end of the PT, how come a space-travelling and Empire-knowledgable guy like Han Solo has no idea what it is?

I do also agree that having EpIII's climax set around another Death Star would be kind of boring...

But what if Kenobi just found out about the plans for building it? He did do some detective work in AOTC, and that look he gives in ANH could very well be a kind of "By the Force...they actually built the thing!", couldn't it?

20. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    I agree that the climax should not be in the death star, but it would be kinda cool for Palpatine to show the newly uniformed Vader the construction of the death star and say something like "Once this is complete it will be the best hope for complete control of the galaxy" and then wipe to Luke being given to Owen and Beru.

Cue the obligatory double sunset, make the ending seem like the ROTJ celebration and roll the credits :D

--Joey

21. Twi_Ton_Kenobi

Twi_Ton_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I agree that Obi-Wan is in disbelief when he sees it...but, it may be because he saw the miniature of the Death Star(via the hologram plans) and he's in disbelief they created it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.