main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A common topic: Modern music and SW

Discussion in 'Archive: Charleston, SC' started by jedi-ES, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi-ES

jedi-ES Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Hello all.

As is common on these boards, many people want to attribute modern songs to themes or characters in the SW universe. And I have to admit that I do it as well. :D

But I wanted to get your thoughts about what songs or groups do think have a beat on some of our favorite characters or the main themes of SW?

I will offer an opinion of mine to begin. I believe that Linkin Park, a hard rock group, has a real understanding of the pain that a lot of us believe Anakin is going through while he is in the Jedi Order, as we see him in AOTC, and as we head into Ep. 3. I even believe that they have certain songs that can reflect well what Vader is going through in the OT.

Their entire CD, Meteora, could be retitled: "A collection of Anakin's feelings and sufferings," IMHO. But if anyone gets a chance, listen to their music and their lyrics. They are really hitting on something here and maybe they have a unique, true understanding of pain, suffering, and isolation that enables them to write the songs that they do.

A number of their songs on their first CD, Hybrid Theory, also relate well to Anakin. Their music is loud, pounding and aggressive - but also melodically gifted and quite intricate.

Give them a chance. :)

Anybody else have any other thoughts concerning modern music and SW?

2. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    I have to say I don't think I've heard any of their stuff.--They are going to be in Atlanta soon BTW.

I like Evanescence alot. There is a song on it called My Immortal that speaks well to the Padme'/Anakin romance:

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you screamed I'd fight away all of your fears
    and I've held your hand through all of these years
    but you still have all of me.

You use to captivate me
    by your resonating light
    but now I'm bound by the life you left behind
    your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams
    your voice it chased away all the sanity in me.

These wounds won't seem to heal
    this pain is just too real
    there's just too much that time cannot erase

etc and so on....

Janet

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I have to agree with Janet. I listen to Evanescence quite a bit and I will admit to thinking of Anakin and Padme when listening to "My Immortal." Their song "Haunted" also comes to mind.

4. Anakin_PadmeFan

Anakin_PadmeFan Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 17, 2002
    Living where no radio signals come in really sucks! :( I am so behind on popular music that it's not even funny!

So I'm not really able to add much of anything new, but thanks to ES, I have heard some of Linkin Park's songs and I've got to agree that they really do seem to have a handle on the pain that Anakin goes through.

I also have to agree that some of their songs are quite loud!! 8-}

And I know I'm probably just restating what you said ES but your statement about their music...Their music is loud, pounding and aggressive - but also melodically gifted and quite intricate. Pretty much sums up Anakin. He's aggressive and some would say/think even cocky, but he's really a lot more than that...He's obviously gifted and his personality is quite intricate. There's more to him than what meets the eye. And I know this has been stated many times before, but Padme's the only one who sees that.

I've never really heard Evanescence, but seeing the lyrics, I've got to agree that My Immortal is a pretty good song for the A/P romance.

I really need to get that Meteora cd!!....

5. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    Go to Launch.com and you can see alot of the popular videos on your computer for free. I know most of what we have mentioned is up there.

Janet

6. Anakin_PadmeFan

Anakin_PadmeFan Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 17, 2002
    Thanks, Janet! I'll have to give launch.com a try! :D

7. StockPodRacer

StockPodRacer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    You guys are way off on this one. Years ago I actually put together a "modern soundtrack" for the movies 4-6. It rocked! It had drivin n' cryin and a bunch of others. I'll look it up and post more info....

Summerville here by the way.

8. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    Welcome,
    And please do let us know what you've done.

Most of us live in North Charleston, Folly, James Island, etc. We need some Summerville blood in the group!

Janet

9. StockPodRacer

Jul 30, 2003
    LOL
    I'll have to find it. The only things I can remember are Luke's theme (Freedy Johnston's "Innocent") and Boba Fett's theme (drivin n' cryin's "1988" cuz it had the line "I'm coming after you motherf***er") LOL

Oh yeah...I had Cracker's "I'm a Little Rocket Ship" for the Millenium Falcon's theme.

Dopey, I know.

Representing the Greenwave nation!!!!

Tommy

10. motf-jan

Feb 25, 2001
    Are you planning on going to DragonCon or CIII? We have a group of us from Charleston going to both.

Janet

11. StockPodRacer

Jul 30, 2003
    I wasn't planning on it. But only because I did not know about it. Howabout email me some details at jte88@yahoo.com. I might be in on it as well if you wouldn't mind.

Tommy

12. jedi scholar

jedi scholar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 1999
    Ok, I'm a little late for this party as usual...

JSshakes head in bewilderment and admits that she's spent way too much time in the library to have missed a topic near and dear to her heart.:(

I agree with ES about Linkin Park's realtionship to Anakin and cannot comment on Evanescence because I don't care for them. I once thought several old Depeche Mode songs were appropriate for A/P....

I'm wondering what will be fitting for the mood of E3??? Somehow, I think that some very moody, disturbing music might work. I was thinking of an old Siters of Mercy tune called Black Planet and of the Mission UK's Wasteland.

Any thoughts???

I'm sure a few people who I've bored to death with my endless babblings about the Grail will see where this might be leading....Hint, hint...

13. jedi-ES

jedi-ES Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    JS

I know I'm trying to learn more about your music, but I don't think I've heard either of those songs yet. Wasn't really interested in music when they came out.... :D

Hey, Summerville dude, you gotta post your stuff on here that you came up with. But I have to say that in regards to Anakin, Linkin Park has it. I know that it's tough for some to deal with, as loud as it is, but they are hitting on the problems that are inside of him.

Janet, I have listened to My Immortal and I agree with you and Mandy. However, and since it isn't a spoiler since I don't know anything, LOL, I'll just say it -- that song would be absolutely perfect IF Padme survives Ep3. But we will only know next May...

I believe that there are a lot more "modern" songs out there. Any more suggestions?

14. jedi scholar

jedi scholar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 1999
    ES---

Was that a subtle age comment???????

Here's one lyric for you to dissect. I'm sure you'll see where my thoughts are...

Black Planet

(In the Western sky)
    (My kingdom come)

So still, so dark all over Europe
    And I ride down the highway, 101
    By the side of the ocean, headed for sunset
    For the kingdom come, for the
    Black, black planet
    Black, black world
    Black, black planet
    Black, black world

Run around in the radiation