main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A community building excercise

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by TheBoogieMan, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I was thinking the other day, that the FF in general doesn't have anywhere near as connected an atmosphere as the JC does (I know that's not saying much, but eh). While I can understand that the FF isn't particularly aiming to have the feeling of one huge group of fans as opposed to lots of smaller groups of localisation, I think a bit of community atmosphere would be a good thing.

For example - FF community has got to be one of the slowest 'community' forums out there. Similarly, I do not expect anyone to reply to this post for at least a few days because, quite frankly there is no point in checking FF comms because nothing goes on here! (And probably a good thing too!)

However, I thought I'd share this idea with you, as a possible excercise in community building.

Consider FFUK's Awards thread. What if, at the end of every year, or maybe even 6 months (much sooner and I don't think there would be enough material...) the FF in general had an awards thing similar to this? It strikes me as being similar to what the State Government does here in Australia - tidy town awards etc. So you get everyone to vote on - and thus getting them to visit other fanforces - awards such as:

Best FanForce (I know that'd just be more like, "How many people from your own FF can you get to vote?", but it would still garner competition - or you could possibly change the criteria to "Best FF you aren't a part of")
    Best New FanForce
    Best FF Banner
    Best FF Icon
    Most hardworking CR
    Most spamworthy FF

etc. You get the idea.

The point of this isn't the awards, but the competition and community they create. It also would solidify each fanforce (OUR banner is best, thankyou very much!) and create even a little bit of achievement.

Now, as to the handing out of the awards - I'm not saying that prizes have to be huge or anything, just maybe some simple running text (god, I don't know the proper phrase for it - you know, the text that moves! :p ) down the bottom of the main page, or a temporary change in the motto, or even just a thread.

Personally, I believe that such an event, if implemented well and advertised, could bring quite a pleasant change in environment (or at least start a change) in the FF in general.

Your thoughts?

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    The biggest, and the most important difference with FanForce compared to the JC, is that in FanForce you actually meet the other people face to face!

That is the community. Not some online only, where a lot of people hide in anonymity, snide remark posts that I find prevalent in other forums.

Having that real life connection is what really makes FanForce work, and the FF forums reflect that to an extent. Why post stuff when you are hanging out together in person, or you can simply call the others?

Sure, there can be things that FanForce as a whole can do to appear more cohesive, but its always seems to me to be one of those organizations which is greater because of the sum of all its parts.

3. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, but surely it couldn't hurt? I understand that the best thing about FF is that you meet people face-to-face, but you only meet people in your area face-to-face. Surely a bit of overall cohesion wouldn't go astray?

4. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Well actually I've met FanForce people from all over.

My local FanForce is entering a parade in 2 weeks, for the 4th year, and once again we've invited people from all over to join us. We usually have representatives from at least 4 or 5 FF chapters.

Attending a large convention like Dragon*Con, San Diego Comic Con or Celebration is also a way to meet FF members.

You idea has merit. I do agree that FanForce as an organization doesn't appear to be that united compared to other fan organizations like the 501st and Rebel Legion, but FanForce isn't really designed to be like that anyways. I know there have been efforts in the past to change that, but FanForce is a slippery beast thats really hard to pin down. Part of its appeal and mainly in part to the whole worldwide nature of the group. What might work well in the States may not work in Canada, and will certainly be met with derision in the UK as an example.

5. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004

Best New FanForce
    Best FF Banner
    Best FF Icon
    Most hardworking CR
    Most spamworthy FF

OK, I think those are great ideas. I can answer two of those question right away:

Best New FanForce - Tucson :p

Most spamworthy FF - Denver [face_laugh]

6. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Well there is a reason I don't hang out in the JC. I really and not a huge fan of online forums other than as a source of information. I really think that if FF's want to form a larger community they will take the initiative to do so. Case in point: Our FF and the St L. FF are currently planning a Midwest Regional FF event. SO far it looks like we are going to have folks from all of the FF's come together. I would much rather put my energy and time to trying to do that than I would trying to created a stronger online community. My group kind of uses our forums as a place to have something to do in between meetings and events. I don't think you would find one person that thinks it is a replacement for F2F interaction.

I'm not going to dissuade you from doing any of the contests you mentioned, I just don't see the need to create a stronger community. I think it is strong as is.

7. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Okay, so maybe not a desperate need for online community in the FF, but I still think this would promote some of the FF's going out of their way and 'meeting' people from other, international Fan Forces.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what any of the GSA's think about this...

8. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm not a GSA, but hopefully nobody minds me throwing in my 2c (it's all I have left after filling up my car ;)):

I'm all for trying to get the various FFs to converse a little more - most are very region-centric, usually through no fault of their own but rather as a result of the way FanForce is structured. FanForce should never be online-only, but neither should the individual chapters limit themselves to conversing only with people they are able to meet IRL. I'm especially interested in getting some more international cooperation between the chapters.

Posting in FFC doesn't need much time and energy, it's just a place to talk to people you might not otherwise talk to. Right now there's a huge amount of social threads in there, which can be daunting, but I'm in full support of revamping the forum and making it a friendlier, more open place. For it to get any new traffic, of course, would require the CRs and RSAs to increase awareness of the forum amongst their members (I know most FFers here in Australia don't even know or care that FFC exists), and we'd need their support for such a project to succeed.

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Precisely, Hawk.

I actually had a good look at FFC the other day... it's more than daunting. It is scary. I know no-one, and it is all social threads! I was looking to post anywhere at the time as I was bored, but I couldn't be bothered joining another social thread just to get to know the people in FFC... I think opening it up a bit would be a great move.

10. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    One of the things I'm doing to get some interaction between the Southwest Region is hosting a "Sock Fest" game next week in the South West Regional Discussion forum. I wanted to test drive it on the Southwest and then perhaps try it in the FFC. :)

11. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Any GSA's at all?

:confused:

12. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    We're working on reviving FFC as we speak...or type rather. Any ideas are welcome. We already have chosen a team of dedicated mods (RSAs who will become the FFC team) in order to have a team of leaders in the forum

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    So who's jurisdiction does this idea fall under?

14. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    This would be the responsibility of the group of RSAs who have volunteered to mod FFC.

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I think all of you who are afraid to post in the FFC due to the social threads should try to start new kinds of threads in there. Us oldbies, who like to hang out in the social thread, has a tendency to discuss all things inside those threads, and it would be great to see some new faces in there. :)

16. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001

And of course they would be....? :p

And when does this new era of FF Community begin, exactly?

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Soon, we're finalizing a few details still.

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    So I should just sit on this until then?

And Obi Anne, I did as you suggested, and started a new thread...

19. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    we currently do the FF awards in the NE and this will be our second year upcoming. We honor our chapters with trophies for these awards.
    I am sure someone has pics of these events posted somewhere to share :)

I have been bugging everyone in the OFH forever to make a general awards but it really would take alot of work. Lately the Admin/Manager positions have been changing/reorganising so hopefully things may start to roll towards a gemeral awards :)
    *hopes*

I think it has to start by talking to your Rsa about getting one started for your region. I am happy to help in any way to help any region /RSa get started. We have the trophy making down to a science LOL

I will try to hunt some pics down to share.
    This year we are having our awards at the pittsburgh comicon with a dinner and awards show/ceremony. Should be alot of fun :)

20. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Thanks for your thoughts, but I really don't see how having awards in my region would have any impact on having general awards. Sure, regional awards would be great, and that is certainly something to think about (here's looking at you, Hawk! :p) but it kind of defeats my purpose, if you know what I mean.

It is good to see that both the new era of modship in the FFComunity has begun and that the travelling social thread will be stopping in. Things are begining to move for the FFC and I feel that this sort of thing would be just right for this important time.

21. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    We both know how much INTERNET AWARDS would mean to the fine folk of Oceania who have better things to do with their lives. ;) Honestly, it works in some places, but there's a reason I haven't given it too much thought for the Aus region.

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm sure the South Australians would take it very seriously.

:p

23. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    About as seriously as some of the groups in the NE. :p

24. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    its all meant to be fun and meant to build more fo a family/community builder, I dont know how to take warbird comment ;) but I know some of the NE region takes it seriously and some could careless, either way serious or not I think they all had fun at the last one :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.