main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Conflict of Interest?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran, Sep 25, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
  2. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    there seem to be a few clowns here who bay for blood anytime an admin takes a few weeks off, whats with that, admins are people too, they have other stuff to do, lives to lead, whatever, just cos they may not have a constant high profile doesn't me to say they should surrender their coloured rectangle,
    continuity should be valued, and as for kerry, who gives a f lets move on and discuss something more topical, like vouchers in schools or whether or not jar jar becomes a Force Witch in epp 2, anything but this constant whining ( ok, a little is ok, we don't want to live in stalinist russia, but hey)

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    We're still whining about insults and remarks made by people over the Internet??? If you're so damned offended about remarks made about someone you know by someone you only know thru 1's and 0's, then perhaps you should get a thicker skin or go someplace else.

4. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Oh!, DA.

...and yes Kyle, we happen to live in a society and that society doesn't find threats of rape and murder to be acceptable. As unrealistic as those threats seem to you and I over a message board, they can affect other people very deeply and the first logical course of action is to remove that person from whatever message board they are posting to.

It's a little disturbing that someone who is bound to become one of the next admins of this board is so willing to callously dismiss something like this. 'He's just misunderstood'. Yes, I don't understand why someone would say the things he says, I admit. That means nothing in the arguement on whether or not he should be out of here.

5. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran Jedi Master star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    By the way, Kyle, I'm going to PM you with Kerry's insults/threats. See if you think that he's "just misunderstood" after that.

6. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Kyle said:
    ------------------------------------
    We're still whining about insults and remarks made by people over the Internet??? If you're so damned offended about remarks made about someone you know by someone you only know thru 1's and 0's, then perhaps you should get a thicker skin or go someplace else.
    ------------------------------------

Hmm. Yes, I can see how you could feel that way. Certianly it could seem a bit silly that we can get offended by words on a screen that come from someone who hardly knows us. This opinion, I can deal with. That's fine.

However, your attitude towards this situation baffles me. I cannot fathom why, in this situation, you would choose to speak out against those being hurt as opposed to those doing the hurting. Which is 'worse' - being offended by threats of rape and violence, or making threats of rape and violence? Your suggestion of 'get a thicker skin or leave' is preposterous. This is a family forum, it should not require a thick skin, nor should it nuture threats of violence or rape. You, Kyle, have you priorities out of whack.

One of the next admins? He'll have to do it without my vote.

Vertical

7. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
  8. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Vert what did you do to your colors!?!

Now that *is* a crime. ;o)

Anyways, I dont know what he did but if it's half as bad as I've heard he got what was coming to him.

9. Darth Foon

Darth Foon Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 1999
    "We're still whining about insults and remarks made by people over the Internet???"

Not to turn this into a pick on Kyle fest but...weren't you the same guy who whined about the chatting threads here...where people just had there own fun over the internet?

10. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Ouch! Darth Foon with a right hook!

You're right though, I forgot about all of that. Kyle, do you think that the chat threads and redundant topics that you so valiantly fought against are more offensive than threats of rape and murder, which are Federal crimes?

11. DarkLord.o.Sith

DarkLord.o.Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 1999
    My Lord, what has become of this place? I haven't been around in at least six months, but I never dreamed this place would turn into such a hotbed of bickering and sniveling.

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran, I don't know you, and you don't know me, but PB and LC are two of my best friends on the planet, and your not-so subtle insult is not appreciated.

So far, I've read two threads, and in both you've been going out of your way to defame and flame my friends. Call me old-fashioned, but in my days on the JC, if you had a problem with someone, you kept it OFF the boards. You don't like PB? Tell him in an e-mail. The rest of us might not want to listen to your petty whining and complaining.

12. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

And now I step back in to emphasise the importance of _open_ communication, and _full_ awareness of background and how people can change during a year's absence ...

Kida

13. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Like in the case of Servo? Why in hell did the JC need to know that he was a pervert making younger females feel very uncomfortable?

14. Shar Kida

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Would it have been necessary if the demand to know was not there? _Blind_ trust is not really all that common anymore, PreacherBoy. Why is that?

Kida

15. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    The only people that need to trust us is the staff, and the members of the JC should trust the staff's judgement, and that they signed up people that will withhold the rules of this site.

Do you trust Scott Chitwood?

16. Shar Kida

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Are we starting with the "you don't need to know, or to trust us" again?

Kida

17. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Negative. I was asking you about the staff of TheForce.net, not us Admins.

Do you think Scott Chitwood can make reasonable choices?

18. Shar Kida

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

I really do not wish to begin with this again now. I do believe that choices can only be as good as the information provided, and the specific perspective from which that information is viewed.

Kida

19. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Do you think this is a good Star Wars site? Could a unreasonable *sshole design a site with such a strong staff?

20. Lord Chewy

Lord Chewy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    Maybe if we had a more orderly way of informing people of bannings we wouldn't have these problems? That might be interesting if the members could see the ban list which include the reasons for each banning. A person's whole history for being banned is not usually a good thing to divulge to the public... Servo was very upset with the amount of information I gave out. The problem is that some reasons for banning a person sound stupid unless you know the whole history.

21. Shar Kida

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Site design and social interaction are two different things. I might rely on one person's judgement more for one, on another person's more for another.

The ability to design a site does not make one socially adept.

Editing to note: good idea, LC.

Kida

22. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I meant "site" as far as a popular one, with good information and great contacts. Could an unreasonable *sshole do such a great task?

23. Shar Kida

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Good and solid information creates its own popularity, information which is reinforced by integrity in acquiring that information (including, not incidentally, the degree of openness with LucasFilm and the stand on pirated videos). Those with a common interest will collect in that location.

What the JC has become, however, is not a purely information site, but a social one.

Wondering, though, how long you will continue to milk a word of your own creation.

Kida

24. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Agreed, but it was all started way back when before it was a social place. People actally came to the JC to discuss Star Wars. Imagine that!

Edit: wtf?

25. Shar Kida

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Things change. As do people.

Kida

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.