main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A cool thing I noticed about the ANH DVD and ROTS

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Vezner, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Remember when Obi-Wan saves Luke from the sand people in ANH? He made a strange scream that scared the sand people off. If you notice, that strange noise is actually the "squak" of the lizard creature that he rode around in ROTS on Utapau. It sounds exactly the same. It looks like Obi-Wan really liked that lizard thing. ;) :)

If this is already talked about in another thread, I apologize but I just noticed it and I thought it was cool enough to share. I couldn't find any other threads about it using the search tool.

2. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    The noise that Obi-Wan made in ANH was that of a native creature of Tatooine called a Krayt Dragon (that large skeleton in the sand dunes that 3PO passes was that of a Krayt Dragon).

The creature that Obi-Wan rides in ROTS is what is called a "Budo".

3. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    No its called Boga. And yes it does sound similar to the creature obi wan rides.

4. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    I noticed that also whern I came home from RotS and put ANH in.

And nowhere in the films does it say it's a Krayt dragon sound.

5. Ganner_The_Hero

Ganner_The_Hero Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    The noise that Obi-Wan made in ANH was that of a native creature of Tatooine called a Krayt Dragon

That's what it was before the dvd-release, yes.
    Now he imitates Boga.

6. brockocoli

brockocoli Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    It is a Kryat dragon that he imitates in ANH...the sound of that animal frightens the very skittish sand people, but obi-wan says that they will return with greater numbers.

7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    <<<<<The noise that Obi-Wan made in ANH was that of a native creature of Tatooine called a Krayt Dragon (that large skeleton in the sand dunes that 3PO passes was that of a Krayt Dragon).

The creature that Obi-Wan rides in ROTS is what is called a "Budo".>>>>>

[face_laugh]

It used to be. Now it's a "Budo". [face_mischief]

8. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    It was the "boga". There is nothing in the films that indicates that it was a krayte dragon but the noise he made sounded EXACTLY like the boga in ROTS. 1+1=2

9. greenlightsaber8

greenlightsaber8 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I noticed that as well!

10. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    It is a Kryat dragon that he imitates in ANH...

As has been said, there is nothing in the films to indicate this.

11. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    The creature that Obi-Wan rides in ROTS is what is called a "Budo".>>>>>

It used to be. Now it's a "Budo".

Weell, anyone can make a mistake you know, especially about a brand new creature featured in a brand new film that's only just been released for one day. [face_plain] Freakin' stupid name anyway.

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I actually have a problem calling it/her by name. Galaxies "spoiled" me. I can only call it a varactyl.

And before Monday, don't go further than saying "Obi-Wan rides a varactyl called Boga on Utapau". Even though that could still be viewed as a spoiler.

13. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm just messing with you, Otto. :p

14. SithHappensIII

SithHappensIII Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    It does not sound the same.

15. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Personally, I've never seen a similarity.

16. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I can see a small similarity. Not that much, but just a little. As was said before, there is nothing in the film that indicates either one but Obi-Wan hints to it being a Krayt Dragon.

17. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    "It is a Krayt dragon that he imitates in ANH...

As has been said, there is nothing in the films to indicate this."

I always wondered...where did the idea that he was making a Krayt-Dragon sound come from originally anyway? Was it mentioned in a novelization?

18. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Yes, in the novelization, Luke states that the sound Obi-Wan is making is a krayt dragon call.

19. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    I'd like it if it was Boga.

20. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    now that quite some time has passed and I have seen both RotS and ANH DVD a few times, I firmly say again that that call sounds nothing like a varactyl. They have a high pitch in common, that's it.

and why on earth would he count on a Utapauan varactyl's cry to scare off Tusken Raiders... instead of a freaking huge native beast of horror, namely a Krayt Dragon.

and the tiny bit of similarity between Boga and a Krayt could simply be because they're both dragon-creatures.

Obi-Wan's call =/= Boga

21. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    There is a faint similarity in the two sounds but the ANH sound Obi-Wan makes is to mimick a Krayt Dragon. The animal that Obi-Wan rides in ROTS is a Boga.

22. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Right just to clarufy a few things:

In the Orginal ANH and SE version Obi Wan makes a 'noise' to scare off the Tuskens. A source (not sure where) has stated that it is him impersonating the call of a Krayt dragon.

Now, in the DVD release this sound has DEFINTELY changed, there is no doubting that. I am of the opinion that it is teh sound of Boga, but seeing as it is Obi Wan impersonating it he does not get it exactly perfect hence the 2 do not sound exactly the same.

kthnxbi

23. That_Jedi_Guy

That_Jedi_Guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2005
    In the original version obi-wan was imitating a krayt dragon but people thought it sounded too much like a dewback so they changed the sound. For some reason it now sounds like a boga, but i think its still supposed to be a krayt dragon.

24. TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR

TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    yeah it was a krayte dragon call... I hope I spelled that right. and I'm proud of myself for knowing that.

25. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    The animal that Obi-Wan rides in RotS is not a boga, it's a varactyl. Its name, however, is Boga.

I, at first, thought that Boga was a krayt dragon, because it would explain how Obi-Wan knows its call, but when I listened to the call in ANH, I couldn't hear any similarities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.