JCC A critical analysis of socio-cultural tropes as presented by Disney characters

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello, May 28, 2009.

1. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Isn't Mulan also pretty much a myth? I don't recall many Disney adaptations of "true" stories.
  2. QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Aren't Mongolian hordes pretty much a myth?? I mean, I don't believe any of the disney stuff.
  3. Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master

star 5
    Dude, the original Little Mermaid story was depressing as crap. :p
  4. SoloKnight Jedi Master

star 4
    So was the original Sleeping Beauty. Also very creepy. Very creepy.
  5. Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master

star 5
    Hercules was the product of beastial rape.
    And he strangled his wife.
    Zeus was more of a villain than Hades ever was.
  6. MsLanna Jedi Master

star 6
    I was really happy when I heard about Pocahontas II. I though they'd show how she gets transported to England and dies of pox.
    :(
  7. PicardGroupie Jedi Knight

star 2
    I feel like I need to watch Tarzan again because every time I take the "which Disney character are you the most like" quiz at California Adventure, I end up with Jane.

Can someone who knows more than I do tell me if that's a good thing or a bad thing?
  8. The Musical Jedi Jedi Master

star 5
    I think technically there are only eight Disney princesses: Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Aurora, Snow White, Pocahontas, Mulan, and Cinderella.

[image=http://blogs.trb.com/features/family/parenting/blog/princesses.jpg]

The rest are just female characters not classified and marketed as a group.

There's even a website!
  9. PicardGroupie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Um, both Mulan and Pocahantis are on the Dinsey Princesses page that you just linked.
  10. The Musical Jedi Jedi Master

star 5
    I realized that after I posted - hence the edit.

That website is not for the slow of connection, though. [face_plain]
  11. DarthLowBudget Jedi Master

star 5
    I don't know, she starts out kind of a snobby stuffy Brit, but later loosens up a bit.

The one thing I think about when I think of the movie Tarzan is how out there it was for Disney to kill the villain in the way they did, but then actually show the aftermath of it.
  12. Lady Keira Jedi Master

star 5
    She has the crest of the Emperor. The sword of Shan-Yu.
  13. Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master

star 5
    The second nastiest Disney death, right behind Frollo.

Preaching fire and brimstone and then falling from a great height into a pool of molten lead. Makes even Anakin Skywalker say "Daaaaaaamn"

Speaking of Frollo....I think someone in Disney was a major Jeff Dunham fan...
    [image=http://reelgamers.com/images/disney3.jpg] [image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2246/2416750117_8c9e242474.jpg]
  14. DarthLowBudget Jedi Master

star 5
    Frollo is also awesome for being the only Disney character to sing a song about wanting to kill someone. His passion for Esmerelda burnt so deeply inside him that the only solution was to set a fire in her flesh.
  15. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm afraid I gave up on Disney's animated feature films after Pocahontas. I did see Tarzan, just to see how they mangled Burroughs' classic, which I loved in my youth.

I also listened to the Hercules soundtrack, which left me infuriated.
  16. Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master

star 5

Not quite. There was Scar, who during "Be Prepared" told the hyenas that they would have to "take certain duties on board" while drawing his finger cross his neck.
  17. QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan

star 4
    eeeek. there was a reason that movie used to bother me...
  18. Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master

star 5

That's not nearly as bad as Victor Hugo's novel....where Esmerelda was only 16 years old.

EDIT -- And she still ended up dying via hangman's noose.
  19. QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan

star 4
  20. Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master

star 5
    And Quasimodo found her body and held it close for weeks until he died of starvation. Their skeletons were discovered two years later.
  21. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't think so. Because she did the right thing she could become an angel. It's a better than the rest of the mermaids got.
    Sure the prince married someone else, but she kind of bound herself when she agreed to the deal in the first place. It's kind of a theme in HCA's work. What you think you're going to get away with, you probably won't.
  22. Sauntaero Jedi Master

star 4

what!? why?! :eek:
  23. Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master

star 5

I suppose that's a good way of looking at it. I just felt so incredibly bad for her when the Prince fell for the other chick. I understand the "angel" epilogue was almost removed, too.
  24. Ghost Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah Hunchback of Notre Dame is definitely one of the msot adult Disney movies. Frollo burning with lust and trying to kill her (that song was scary in an awesome way), and genocide?

Jabba-wocky, how could you have not seen Hercules? That's one of the best! I recommend it. :D
  25. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 7
    Belle is more Michelle Obama then Jasmine ever could be. Jasmine is more Monica then anything.

~PK~