main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC A critical analysis of socio-cultural tropes as presented by Disney characters

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , May 28, 2009.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

I thought the song was rather lusty, truth be told.

And the whole Disney Princess thing infuriates me. There's still a rather big handful of royal chicks who don't get any mention at all.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The person she ultimately does fall in love with is the "diamond in the rough," a person smiled on by Heaven itself for his extraordinary uprightness of spirit. Such insight is frankly unparalleled in all Disney stories.

She fell in love with a liar and a deceiver, one who could not be honest with her.

Further, while her escape to marketplace is ostensibly a way out of her impending marriage, it is painfully obvious to the discerning that it is an actually an expression of noblesse oblige. Her primary concern was the well-being of her citizens, whom she was traveling among incognito to get an unfiltered assessment of. Her early interactions with Aladdin in particular show a sensitivity to even the most, lowly, desperate, and down-trodden of her people. These are all excellent and laudable qualities, for which she ought to be recognized.

Yes, stealing from one's own subjects is certainly admirable. Brava indeed.

It's just rooted in her own arrogance. Look at her language: "full of little people." I can see why an insufferable narcissist like the Prince would find her attractive. As for her much vaunted "reading" have you actually considered what she's describing? There is no substance or depth to the works she prefers? It's the kind of thing that fills bodice-rippers and comic books.

You would rather she give in to mediocrity? That she be lazy and without drive?

As for her tales: need I remind you that she's describing a sort of story that has the highest literary antecedents, going all the way back to Homeric epic (particularly the Odysseia). We should not be held responsible for your unfamiliarity with substantive and weighty literature outside the realm of popular culture.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Question... were Simba and Nala half-siblings? I didn't see any other lions around... royal inbreeding?

4. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    There were plenty of non-Mufasa-related lions in the pride.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    We didn't see any other male lions besides Scar. They were all female.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I think it's a fair assumption that they're half-siblings.

7. QueenMother_LK

QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2009
    all good stories have some incest.

8. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Speaking of whatever all of you are talking about, should I buy all of these movies on DVD now or wait until their Blu-Ray releases?

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Naturally. Mufasa, as a lion, would have run off any breeding competition, which is why we are introduced to Scar living alone in a cave, reduced to eating mice.

And after running Simba off, one of Scar's first acts as a lion would be to kill and all cubs that weren't his.

Nala just got lucky.

Depends on whether they are Blu-worthy.

From Mermaid to Hunchback, I'd say Blu-worthy. No sequels though.

Everything else, not so much, unless you are a major fan.

10. Whitey

Jan 26, 2003
    OR!!! I could buy the DVDs for cheap and then wait for Blu-Ray.

Also, when I was just on the toilet the thought of "Disney Pictures presents: The Scarlet Letter" came to my head. Oh my.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Doesn't Disney still do that [special] "vault" thing? Is it even possible to get new copies of all the modern movies?

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Plenty of people hoarded them, knowing that's exactly what Disney would do. You can still reliably buy unopened DVDs of the films from third parties.

I don't have a blu-ray on my computer, so when I got BatB, I just bought the DVD. But I suppose if I did have a blu-ray player, I'd just wait.

13. QueenMother_LK

QueenMother_LK Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2009
    Buy Little Mermaid II

14. Lady Keira

Lady Keira Jedi Master star 5

Apr 16, 2004
    Watching Beauty and the Beast, and recalled this thread. Trying to think of something to add.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Belle is awesome, perhaps?

16. Whitey

Jan 26, 2003
    barfbarfbarf i forgot about this

17. Lady Keira

Apr 16, 2004
    Belle is awesome, and has the best wardrobe, for sure.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I should hope you've all taken this time to re-evaluate the issues re: Jasmine.

19. Lady Keira

Apr 16, 2004
    He wasn't just "moderately improved," and she taught him much more than just his ABC's. He learns to control his temper, and behave like a gentleman. He begins to respect her and treat her like a lady, as well.

AND THEN after they have their little dance in the ballroom, he asks her if she's happy, and she says she misses her father, so he shows her his magic mirror so she can see Maurice again. When he realizes that she needs to go help her father, he knows she won't be happy staying with him any longer, and lets her go because he cares about her, and wants to make her happy more than he wants to break the spell and become human again. He shows great compassion, and that is what she responds to when she falls in love with him, at the end.

edit: And we did watch Aladdin earlier today; I'll get to Jasmine in a minute. :p

20. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    It would appear Belle is still the favorite. :)

21. Lady Keira

Apr 16, 2004
    When the Beast turned back into a human, my friend said "Yay, now they can have normal-looking kids!" :p

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Beast looks like a fool when he's human. He was far more elegant as an animal. :p

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    One day, I will gather enough partisans to overthrow you all.

24. Lady Keira

Apr 16, 2004

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [image=http://freenet.am/~disney/wallpaper_belle.jpg]

We don't even know his real name!