main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    oh man, that's how the EU has felt to me for the past decade at least

it's too self aware

like having Leia say Han shot first, thanks denning. or Han telling a joke about a wookiee and an ewok walking into a bar in Shadow Games. wtf is that

Also Jacen's green lightning was nonlethal so its all kosher. I read an interview with WJW where he says that Vergere is a Jedi consequentialist. That kind of annoyed me.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    That's happened in like a dozen books.

Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    yeah I feel like it's happened in at least two of denning's books. Maybe three. And then he tries to make Han Solo into Indiana Jones with bugs. Why'd it have to be bugs?

I mean it's not like Zahn didn't do the same crap with regurgitated movie lines in the Thrawn trilogy, or have characters think back to how this is just like the forest moon of Endor or Jabba's palace or whatever.

It's just like, it smacks of fan fiction, or at least subordinate fiction when you drop this crap in. The Empire Strikes Back didn't have to tell us how much it was just like Star Wars.

Back to the topic I guess sorta, I didn't mind WJW as a writer or his prose or whatever but obviously there were a lot of issues with consistency and his general understanding of what's going on. I guess Shelly Shapiro is the one that wanted to kill Vergere and Lucy Wilson and Sue Rostoni didn't want Vergere to die. Shocker.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    lmao

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    huh so denning never did it and it was just traviss and allston

I thought it was in Dark Nest and maybe Tatooine Ghost

6. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Better do a close re-reading of his entire bibliography to be sure

kubricklynch likes this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm pretty sure I'll never read a book written by Denning again. Maybe Star by Star, although even that one is pretty intolerable with its pacing. I mean it's not like Denning did a much better job than WJW in terms of consistency, and at least WJW didn't shove his pet characters in our faces.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I suppose the post-NJO books really ****ed up the impact of Vergere's death but that was the most emotional moment for me in Destiny's Way. I liked the "Ackbar is back!" moment but it's much less memorable than Vergere or Alpha Red.

Or the Vong all erupting in hives. [face_laugh]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Oh yeah I thought that was dumb too. :p Like in Traitor Jacen winning the dhuuryam over to his side was a great symbolic victory because because it meant that the heart of the Yuuzhan Vong's dark creation had been tainted by Jacen's light, then in DW all it did was make the YV's toilets back up.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    look that is important for morale

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Considering the amount of "meta" lines or meaningless cameos showing up in CWAS, I would assume that's how the SW universe is. Certainly I expect jokes about Han's shooting ability, someone mentioning they have a bad feeling, etc. in the new movie. Maybe even a joke about Han once surviving an orbital bombardment hiding in a portable environmental-controlled food storage unit, or something.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm sure Episode VII will be full of it.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I should point out that in Han Solo and the Lost Legacy, Han actually does beat his opponent by not shooting first.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Actually though, what did you expect would happen? Jacen explains his intention was to teach a lesson about fundamentalism by disallowing their terraforming of the planet to match their fundamentalist perspective, and that to succeed they will need to compromise. What was the World Brain going to do?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Luke: "You sure your reflexes are quick enough to shoot first? You're 71 years old."

Han: "Never tell me the odds."

Leia: "Han, you let a door fall on your ankle."

Han: "My ankle is fine. It's just a sprain. I'll have full range of motion again in a couple of days."

3PO: "Sir, the odds of a broken ankle healing that quickly are as good as the odds of being able to speak while in carbon freeze."

Han: "Shut up."

Luke: "I have a bad feeling about this."

16. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    WHY DON'T YOU JUST MARRY DW IF YOU LOVE IT SO MUCH

17. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    I really ****ed up reading this for the first time as an idiot ten year-old. I was just buying, and reading, whatever books came into the bookshop near me, so roughly my NJO went, in order;
    - Enemy Lines I
    - Destiny's Way
    - Dark Journey
    - Dark Tide I & II
    - Agents of Chaos
    - Balance Point
    - Edge of Victory
    - Force Heretic III
    - The Unifying Force

Grey1 and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'd note that the absence of Traitor from that list is conspicuous, but at the same time it's probably best not to read it when you're ten.

19. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I've only read a few. Destiny's Way was a great book in my opinion. I liked Vergere's scenes. I really hated how they retconned her into a sith. She was so much more....

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Vergere is okay in Destiny's Way I guess.

"Vergere was an enormously fun character to write, because she's so extreme. She tortured Jacen Solo for eons in hopes of turning him into an enlightened being!"

"Her treatment of Jacen in TRAITOR is a complete refutation of Luke's understanding of compassion." I guess I could make a snarky comment about how compassion is for those who deserve it.

I find it curious that WJW feels comfortable making assertions about a book he evidently didn't read.

Riv_Shiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
  22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I blame the fans. TTT came out and fans went ape**** over Thrawn and military people were coming up to Zahn and going, "I'd love to serve under Thrawn!" (this is stupid, you do not want to serve under Thrawn, pay attention dumbass, you want to serve under Wedge Antilles or Ackbar), and everyone was like "HE SO AWESOME YES!" and I think Zahn got carried away by the fan reinterpretation/stupid interpretation/uninterest in interpretation because he's awesome smart cool of the character. I mean, he was a really great villain, but he was a villain, but fans kind of lost sight of that because he was such an awesome villain and they latched onto how smart and "sensible" and cool he was and he wasn't as obviously malevolent as Vader and Palpatine. So Zahn got mobbed by Thrawn groupies telling him Thrawn was awesome and honorable and totally way better than any other Imperial like I don't even think he's that bad a guy he should have joined the New Republic, and I think that response had to color the way he approached the character going forward, knowing he was a massively popular fan favorite. Had fans mobbed him saying, "He's a great villain, so brilliant, so ruthless, I want Ackbar to kick his ass but he's so fascinating!" I think we could have gotten a different slant on Thrawn.

23. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Ahem. I am one of those fans. Thrawn believed in what he was doing. His beliefs were idiotic but he was trying to do the right thing.

24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I guess we're fulfilling the cynical part of the thread.

I could see the complete disconnect between Thrawn in Dark Force Rising and Thrawn in Choices of One arising through silly "broken telephone" evolution, primarily Thrawn's depiction in Outbound Flight in which it's perhaps justifiable to show him in a relatively uncorrupted state, and the presentation of the Empire of the Hand being this relatively egalitarian version of the Empire with regard to its inclusion of the Chiss -- which Zahn expanded to other alien species in Survivor's Quest. The problem is that this acceptance expanded to Thrawn and it doesn't really make sense why he's this progressive, enlightened thinker when it comes to tolerance or whatever but then he's mistreating the Noghri and perpetuating the poisoning of their planet. I mean, this is kind of important, since the fact that he did this is essential to his downfall as a villain, and it's completely at odds with how he's now depicted by Zahn.

Hell, Denning did the same thing with the character in Tatooine Ghost, where he's incognito as a stormtrooper commander, and the lesson he's trying to impart that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar is something Thrawn himself doesn't seem to understand in Heir to the Empire when he shows up on Wayland and starts demolishing buildings because no one is giving him info.

The guy wasn't a sympathetic character in the Thrawn trilogy at all, but he was someone you respected as a villain. Somehow he's become this tragic hero which doesn't fit the original characterization at all or really even make sense.

25. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I think Thrawn's characterization could be better if Zahn didn't make Vader or Palpatine so incompetent and ooc by comparison.

Like in Choices of One, when he told Palpatine to beware the Ewoks on Endor. Without any very specific knowledge of the future, that just sounds like the most rediculous advice because they are teddy bears of no threat at all. And it even smacks of irony considering Thrawn's death was a result of underestimating the Nogiri.

Basically I could never buy when Zahn tried to paint his character as somehow smarter than the Sith Lords. If that WERE true, why wouldn't it be Thrawn's Empire?