Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    I liked this:

LOL [face_laugh][face_plain]

ninja'd again
    Last edited by CT-867-5309, Jun 17, 2014
    Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  2. Cynical_Ben Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh like it'd be better than 90% of the other book titles in the 'verse. There's a book called "Hero's Trial" in the very same series, or even "Dark Journey". Half of the titles are taken from dialogue or names of things in the book, the other are just descriptions of the plot. DM is right, Turning Point is name-dropped at least twice within character dialogue for no reason other than to assure the audience that the GA is going to start winning now. Destiny's Way sounds neato but really doesn't mean anything specific to the story at all. You might as well call the entire series destiny's way, heck, the entire saga could be destiny's way.
  3. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    future victims I guess

How great would Star Wars have been though if Luke died instead of Obi-Wan and it was about Alec Guinness pulling Yoda out of retirement to take on Vader.

Edit: Traitor was originally titled Underworld. I'm not sure what's better. Thanks Yavin Vassilika.
    Last edited by DigitalMessiah, Jun 17, 2014
  4. Riv_Shiel Jedi Master

star 1
    The fact of the matter is that Jacen has no choice in the matter. He has powers that make his decisions determine the fates of others. Even if he does nothing it effects people - opportunity costs! All Vergere does is make him acknowledge that he is a gardener and take responsibility for his decisions (or indecisions). And guess what, once he realizes that even what he doesn't do has consequences he starts making decisions that actually help people.
  5. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    This should be interesting.

but vergere says there's no dark side and yoda says there is movie trumps book the end [face_mischief]

[IMG]
    The Force is one.

time is a flat circle? is that nietzsche?
    Last edited by DigitalMessiah, Jun 17, 2014
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    This little lost answer is without its question. Oh, here it comes now.

"Can someone give me an example of a fictional energy field?"
  7. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    Was there a reason given for "Ylesia"'s removal from Destiny's Way, outside of e-book sales? There's a noticeable gap in towards the end of the book where, I assume, the e-book was.
  8. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    I think it was between chapters 23 and 24, or somewhere around there. I posted earlier in the thread about it I think.

I would guess it was removed because it was pretty tangential to the overall plot.
  9. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, it would've been pretty meaningless if it'd been in the book. As a story on its own, it works far better. I mean, the whole Thrackan plot is secluded to that story; he isn't seen (or mentioned, IIRC) at any point in Destiny's Way.
  10. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    The Ralroost kind of looks like the Pillar of Autumn.

It's no SS Jimmy though, that's for sure.
    Sniper_Wolf and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Would have been nice to see it contained in the paperback though instead of TJK.
    anguirus2003 and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    I never noticed...

[IMG]

[IMG]

That is insanely cool.
  13. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    In DW, Shimrra interrogates Nom Anor about the World Brain but everyone is willing to just blame Vergere.
  14. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    You mean the Sulaco?
  15. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    I think the Ralroost and PoA are broader than the Sulaco, but I'm sure the PoA was inspired by it like everything else in Halo pastiching Aliens.
  16. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Setting a trend ;)
  17. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    "The chicken did it!"
    Gamiel likes this.
  18. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 5
    Can you give us a link to it?
    I though that was the joke
    Last edited by Gamiel, Jun 18, 2014
  19. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    So, let's discuss the most popular part of Traitor, the praxis of the shameful secret of the Jedi:
    [IMG]

Why is this scene one of the most popular among the entire Expanded Universe? Because Ganner was a bad enough dude to hold off a Yuuzhan Vong army singlehandedly?

I like to think that Ganner greased his chest up before he came out.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    For me that scene is the perfect way to conclude Ganner's story arc. He starts as an arrogant Jedi, very much at odds with Luke's views and he especially would be opposed to Jacen's philosophy (I don't think we see that last part until Ganner mentions it to Jacen right before that scene but it's obvious just based in who they were). Then we get to the end of Traitor and Ganner is willing to sacrifice himself so that Jacen can escape. There was no way that he'd have done this during the Dark Tide Duology. Thus, he has became a better Jedi, much like Jacen has become. His redemption involved a complete reversal to who he once was -- his sacrifice took the humility to recognize Jacen's importance which is the opposite of his previous arrogance. Such a situation made for a powerful scene. Although, his method of accomplishing this is in line with his previous method of taking the fight to the Vong. Thus this presents another parallel to Jacen's development. Jace goes from a pacifist to being more willing previous; at the same to.e he maintains his respect for life, which compells him to ensure that genocide isn't committed against the Vong. While this is not as complete of a change as Ganner's, it still involves a change in perspective and the extension of a previous held view or approach towards a more beneficial end.
    JediMatteus and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    The WJW author thread is here.
    Gamiel likes this.
  22. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    "Let's show them what a grandstander and a bleeding heart can do."
    Last edited by Revanfan1, Jun 18, 2014
    Iron_lord and JediKnight75 like this.
  23. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    It'll be a show they'll never forget.
  24. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    When I reread the novel I had forgotten Ganner's last stand and Jacen's shindig switched to present tense. I think Traitor is the only EU book to have a tense switch.
  25. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    Elaborate.